Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to keep things clean? sanitary?

hi,

I just read an article, in groomer to groomer magazine, about keeping a shop sanitary. They mention passing problems from one pet to another because you can't always tell when a dog has an illness. It says "All of your equipment that actually touches the animals should be cleaned and sterilized before EACH use." This seems time consuming, although logical.

I wonder about the eyes. some dogs look like they have pink eye or some other contagious disease in their eyes. the wet hair near there eyes is usuallly cut with my thinning shears. then I use the same shears on other dogs. How do you clean your shears between dogs?

Are you using a 10 blade on privates and then cleaning it before anything else?

I use fingers to pull ear hair - not hemostats - is it a problem if I use the same fingers in both ears and don't clean my fingers before doing the second ear?

I'm taking a survey... What do you do to clean combs, brushes, blades, shears? and tabletops?

(and as an aside, I've been itchy for 2 days and wonder if it's from grooming a particularly dirty dog on a summer day.)

thanks,
    maria

I use FX disinfectant spray right now, but there are several brands out there. If I do a dog with 'suspicious' looking skin, I'll do a soak in Barbacide (the equipment, not the dog! ;-)). It really doesn't take that long. Start with clean equipment. I use my 15 blade, or whatever, on the face/ears first. Then move to sanitary clip, pads last. When I'm done with the dog, spray down equipment and table. I usually use a dilutable disinfectant in a mister bottle on the table top, such as A-33, or Zema. By the time I get back to my table with another dog, everything's dry and ready to go again. BTW, almost all disinfectants need a minimum contact time of 10 minutes to be effective, so if you spray something like a blade, then immediately wipe it off to use it, you might as well skip spraying altogether.

Comment

I use barbicide..combs, thinning shears, hemo's. I always soak my hemo's between every single dog!! I use ...man, IM having a mental block...the stuff you soak your blades in...duh...in a jar... I keep thinkn hhr, but thats a car! LOL yeah H42! lol
      Last edited by hairdevil; 06-11-07, 05:23 PM. Reason: mental block opened lol

Comment

I am not going to fib and say that I disinfect every piece of equipment between every dog, because I don't. I will usually just use Clorox Clean ups between grooms to wipe off table and equipment. If I have a dog w/questionable skin I will use the Barbacide on my equipment. At the end of the day is when everything gets a really good scubbing and disinfecting.
        SheilaB from SC

Comment

Well, first of all, it perturbs me that the word "sterilized" is even used when talking about grooming equipment, because we can't do it. We can sanitize, we can disinfect, but we don't work in a sterile environment, and we'd have to autoclave our equipment to sterilize it. We'd have to gown up, use sterile drapes, sterile gloves, and surgical masks if we wanted to keep our equipment sterile. We aren't doing surgery. We don't need to sterilize.

Now, when it comes to disinfecting, that's a different story. I have seperate butt and face blades. My face blades never touch anything but faces. When I finish doing a face I plop my blade into H42 and let it soak until I finish the groom. Then I clean it, wipe it down, oil it, and put it back in the tray.

My butt blades get a spray of Parvolan, and set aside for later cleaning. The rest of my blades get a dip in H42 and set into a tray so they can be cleaned between grooms. It only takes a couple of minutes.

I usually spray scissors with Parvolan and set them aside while I clean blades, then wipe them dry.

Tables get sprayed with Parvolan between grooms. I also spray cages with Parvolan after a dog goes home and let it air dry. The kennel techs clean the cages at the end of the day, and they get sprayed again. I wash my hands with antibacterial soap between dogs. I use hand sanitizer after plucking ear hair.

Comment

all tools are sprayed with clippercide after each use and oiled at end of day. use. the tub, table, nooses and harnesses are sprayed with dakil after each use.
            Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
            "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Are you sure it says "Sterilized?" We can't really sterilize ANYTHING. None of us have that kind of equipment, unless at a vets office, and even then I doubt the vets are going to let groomers use it.

It is important to be clean and in order to do so, you must spend the time. Time means fewer dogs, which means higher prices. So make sure you price accordingly so that you have time to clean your equipment.

Tammy in Utah
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                Are you sure it says "Sterilized?" We can't really sterilize ANYTHING. None of us have that kind of equipment, unless at a vets office, and even then I doubt the vets are going to let groomers use it.

Tammy in Utah
                I read the article in question, and yes, it says sterilize. Several times. And sure, we could plop our scissors and blades in the autoclave, but what about the clippers? Can't put them in there. They'd melt. And what good would it do to sterilize your blades if you're going to put them on nonsterile clippers, pick them up with nonsterile hands, lay them down on nonsterile surfaces?

Comment

I use face blades for faces only.

I think it is so gross to use all blades everywhere.
                  Another gross thing is to reuse towels prior to washing. People say well you're drying a clean dog. His you know does not need to be wiped dry with the same towel the next dog gets their face done with. ewww.

I have been thinking more about better cleaning lately so this is good.

Can I wipe my shears with alcohol to disinfect?

FYI- Just read. Scissors means less than 6". Shears more than 6".

Or was it 7"?

Erica

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                    I read the article in question, and yes, it says sterilize. Several times. And sure, we could plop our scissors and blades in the autoclave, but what about the clippers? Can't put them in there. They'd melt. And what good would it do to sterilize your blades if you're going to put them on nonsterile clippers, pick them up with nonsterile hands, lay them down on nonsterile surfaces?
                    I quickly perused that article but I don't think I fully read it. If I read the word "sterilized," I probably put the article down anyway. I know better than that. It's amazing the stuff that gets published---including the article by a person who thinks we should add a tip on like gratuity at a restaurant when a waitress has a table of "10 or more people." Can you imagine getting your dog groomed and your $55 groom has a 15% or $8.25 gratuity added on? OUCH.

I think more of us on this website should submit articles for groomer to groomer. If articles like that can be published, we certainly could get something published!

Tammy in Utah
                    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I also use barbicide.

Buy the container (glass jar-I know kinda scary in a grooming salon). Try to put it somewhere safe (cabinet, drawer, etc.,). I know pet edge sells the jar and the chemical. Put your tools in it inbetween grooms, they only have to soak for 10 minutes. The stuff works.

I had a matted, nasty and sick looking cocker to groom one day. I pre-shaved to remove most of it's hair in order to bathe and dry the dog better. I put my blade inside of the jar of barbicide and was shocked to see what resembled flecks (almost like brine shrimp) rapidly swimming about in the blue liquid for several seconds then vanish (like whatever is was-died!). That really grossed me out! I even yelled at the other groomers to come look at it, as well. That scared me, I don't groom a dog without putting my tools in the solution, first.

I use a disenfectant to wipe down my table, inbetween grooms and when done for the day.

Comment

Originally posted by eli View Post
                        I think it is so gross to use all blades everywhere.
                        Another gross thing is to reuse towels prior to washing. People say well you're drying a clean dog. His you know does not need to be wiped dry with the same towel the next dog gets their face done with. ewww.

I have been thinking more about better cleaning lately so this is good.

Can I wipe my shears with alcohol to disinfect?

FYI- Just read. Scissors means less than 6". Shears more than 6".

Or was it 7"?

Erica
                        alcohol does not disinfect
                        Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
                        "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

As a few others have mentioned

I use the Barbicide in a jar for my shears and blades in between each step of grooming. This is another reason why it is always a god idea to have a few sets of blades , because while one set is soaking you could be using another. I also spray Rocal and Stafftrol on my table , in the tub , on my Vacuum filter, and kennels between each step. The Vet I used to work for swears by Rocal for disinfecting and I've not seen anything that works better so far. The Staftrol is great for hardwood floors , it doesn't peel off the finnish. As groomers we are not always told if there is a skin infection or if the dog has something infectous so it is our jobs to make sure we do everything we can to make sure we don't spread anything any farther. Even if that means taking a little extra time to make sure things are clean and sanitized.

Comment

Help

I've been looking for Parvolan and Dakil and have not been able to find them. Where do you get them? Are they similar to the "256" disinfectant in PetEdge? Thanks for any help you can give me!

Comment

Working...
                            X