My job won't let me use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My job won't let me use

A 40, 30 or 15 blade !! My dogs are looking so horrible(To me) The customers are really happy with the grooms. But I feel that its unsafe to NOT use a 30 on the inside of ears and to have to run the 10 on it over and over because it looks so hairy to me. Personally I love using 40 on pads , the 10's can't even get out a matt between the toes? It seems like i'm supposed to scissor it out. No way thats happening. And the reason that its not allowed...the groomers there nick too many dogs with these blades. I find it so dangerous to be using a 10 inside the ear with the manager saying "run it over again, too much hair in there"

Are you a new groomer, or one who's been grooming awhile? I'm just asking, because when I first learned to groom we weren't able to use those blades at first either. A 10 was used for face, feet, inside ears and sanitary. With experience the only rule was no shorter than 10 on the body, anything else was considered a "surgical" blade and wasn't allowed.

It sounds like those that nick are either too heavy handed, are using dull blades, or uncared for blades (ie not oiled).

I know that I for one, have also encountered matts between the toes that I would not be able to get without a shorter blade. I definitely would never try to scissor them out of the pads...never.

I think that you should be able to do a neat job of the ears with a 10 blade. If your manager is saying there's too much hair, next time I'd ask her to show you how she gets all the hair out, if she really does. After seeing how clean a shorter blade can make an hear look, I can definitely understand where you think they look terrible when done with a 10, even if they don't.
    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Because of the width of the teeth on a #10 blade vs a #40 blade, you are more likely to knick a dog with a #10. BUT, you are more likely to clipper burn with a #40 due to the short clip.

My former boss never used a #40 on the ears or pads. She could get them babies bald, too. She was very experienced and knew what angle the clipper needed to be at for it to work. I no longer use a #40 on feet (had a lot of dogs licking/chewing their feet), but with a light touch it's not, in my opinion, that big of a deal. I can get mats out fine with a #10 in the pads. I DO use a #40 on the inner ears of schnauzers, though, because I tend to be nervous in that area and the dogs know it and it causes me to make mistakes. But I'm becoming more bold.

Tammy in Utah
      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Sorry guys I meant to ad that I only use the shorter blades on dogs like schnauzers. I will def. try to angle the blade and see where it takes me. Thanks!!! Excellent pointers.

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
          Because of the width of the teeth on a #10 blade vs a #40 blade, you are more likely to knick a dog with a #10. BUT, you are more likely to clipper burn with a #40 due to the short clip.

My former boss never used a #40 on the ears or pads. She could get them babies bald, too. She was very experienced and knew what angle the clipper needed to be at for it to work. I no longer use a #40 on feet (had a lot of dogs licking/chewing their feet), but with a light touch it's not, in my opinion, that big of a deal. I can get mats out fine with a #10 in the pads. I DO use a #40 on the inner ears of schnauzers, though, because I tend to be nervous in that area and the dogs know it and it causes me to make mistakes. But I'm becoming more bold.

Tammy in Utah

Using a 10 inside the ears with a schnauzer makes me so nervous because like you said its easier to nick an ear. While with using the 40 and a very lite touch you get everything out.

Comment

Even in school we could use 15 on pads. I've never tried a 10 on pads. When the mats are terrible I use a 30.

I work with someone now who likes me to use a 30 on pads all the time, but I worry that it will feel like razor stubble in there when it starts to grow out.

I think 10 on ears is fine but if the boss is complaining, then ask the boss to show you how it's done. maybe you can improve the way you hold the ear or the pressure you apply so you can do it nicely in one pass.

Comment

I always 40 pads, and 30 poodle feet, except for white poodles, I 15 those feet!

Comment

you should visible inspect your blades before use. in particular the 40 blade as the teeth chip easily.
                Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
                "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Working...
                X