Home Based Business?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Based Business?

Just wondering if anyone here has a home based business? Do you like it, do you have issues with customers picking up late/bothering you when at home?

I'm hoping to purchase a house with a separate outbuilding/garage that I can convert into a small shop (part of the garage)...and convert the other part into an agility/obedience training area. Not sure how I feel about customers knowing where I live...but the appeal to working from home greatly outweighs just about anything negative I can think of. TIA.

I love it

I have an ad in this form in classifeed business for sale. Check it out. I have been here for 10 years had shop in town before this for 12 years. Rent just kept going up so I built the house with shop in mind. AT FIRST, custermers were early and late. But soon I stood FIRM as to my hours posted my "rule" on the shop soor and charged high for off hours. also I have 2 phones a home and a business. Now my business payes me rent and over half the utilitys. I for one thinks it GREAT.
    Except for now as I want to faze out, I need someone who can keep up with the business to sell my home to??

Comment

I have a home based shop, and I really do like it for the most part. Unfortunately my house isn't big enough and I would like to have another child in a couple of years, so I am considering moving it out of the house. As far as customers go, my biggest pet peeve is them letting their dogs potty all over. It is somewhat obtrusive to my home, but I really do like being home. I was able to raise my boy to school age, and would do it over again if I had the room.

Comment

I'm in the process of setting up a shop at home. I'm awaiting my construction permit. My daughter is 6 and I love the idea that I'll be here for her when she comes and goes to school.

Comment

I have a home based business too. Love it. You have to be firm with your rules.
          I do have people who call me at 8-9pm at night and i just tell them to call me back during business hours or I dont answer the phone and let the machine get it.
          I make sure they get thier dogs picked up on time and I have a desiginated potty spot. I do have a sign by the front door reminding them of this and I always tell this to new clients over the phone. I do catch people sometimes on my yard and I have no problems going out thier and "correcting" them. Only takes one time. I have 2 toddlers and I dont want them stepping in anything.

I love being at home. It was the best decision I have ever made with grooming. You wont regret it.

Comment

I have a home base shop also and just LOVE it. I wouldn't do it any other way now. I've worked out of my home for 11 yrs. I don't mind having my clients come early and most of them pick up on time. Of course there are a few that may leave their pet longer than I would like but I'm a pretty mellow person and I just don't stress over it, unless of course I have plans. I've only had one client come on a Sat to see if I could groom her dog. That day I didn't have any scheduled and I was still in my pj's and I told her no, call and make an appointment. She doesn't come any more and that's fine with me.
            Like I said before, I wouldn't do it any other way.
            "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
            Diane

Comment

check & double check zoning

prior to purchase.

I have an in home shop. According to my zoning it must be in my home, not in a seperate building. And I'm only permitted to have a certain amount of traffic going to & leaving my place per day. (Not a problem since I'm low volume)

Many times I've pined for a different location thinking I would increase my business. Good thing I couldn't afford it.

A groomer friend spent big bucks for a "commercial" location with a home & a Mom in law suite- thinking she'd use the apartment for her business. WRONG!
              Same zoning as me. Even on a much busier road. Now she's spending even more $$$ to close in the attached carport so she can groom there. (Some Realtors will tell you things they aren't sure of themselves. That's what errors & omissions laws are for!)

So please, before you buy check out what you must know to be fact before you buy.

Erica

Comment

My husband and I are in the process of building a home (yay, framing is nearly completed!), and I may very well be grooming there, it's been a plan off and on the past couple of years, just not sure.

The covenants of our area do NOT say anything about home based businesses and I do know that others up the same street have a hair salon and a dance studio, but there are some uppity ups that have "heard" through the grapevine of my plans and protested to the person who told them about it.

If they were to see the house we were building they'd realize that we're not dirty people and there "ain't no way no how" I'd have some dirty smelly shop at my brand new home!!!

Do make sure you obey the laws of your area or you could end up in some serious hot water and deep dog poo. Good luck! There are many advantages, from what I can tell, with home grooming.

Tammy in Utah
                Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Thanks for all the responses! Yep, this is EXACTLY what I want. Does anyone have a website or pics of their home set up? I'd love to see how you have your shop set up. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X