Handy dandy tick remover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handy dandy tick remover

Seriously, does anyone have this little device? A customer sent it to me (she got it from her vet's office; they're selling them there.) Anyway, I think the company's name is OTOM or something like that (it's downstairs & I'm too lazy to go get it right now.)

Basically, it looks just like a tiny little crowbar or the opposite side of the hammer that pulls out the nail. You slide it under the tick and slowly turn it around a few times (don't just pull it right out) and basically you unscrew the tick from the body, head and all. I've used it a few times and it hasn't failed to easily remove the head.

Marvelous little invention!
    The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Strawberry Huller!!

I use a Strawberry Huller to extract ticks. I only have had to use it about three times a year at most. I spray the little sucker with alcohol and then pluck the little sucker out.
    And another thing...I bag the tick in a ZipLock and lable it. I tell the customer that if they handle a tick and then get sick (especially if they get swelling in their neck) to get to a doctor right away. I also tell them that I keep the tick for two weeks. If I get sick or a customer gets sick from handling a tick...it helps the lab folks to identify what we would need to be treated for.
    I wash my hands and tell them to wash their hands after extracting a tick. Augghh!
    When we were kids we were always picking off ticks after playing in the woods. My mom had us use CamphoPhenic on a cotton ball. We would watch them back out.

Comment

pawsforthought...you keep the tick for two weeks? In a ziplock in the fridge? I'm just wondering because I think that is a great idea and I'm just wondering if you keep it from, ohhh, rotting or something. I know this sounds a bit silly, but, like you, we used to pick off ticks as kids and not think about it. It's getting to be that season and I should prepare to do battle with the ticks.

So, I guess my question is...is the tick still "intact" after sitting around for two weeks? Have you ever had to take one in to be checked and would the vet do that for you or you just take it to your people doctor? I guess you'd then have sick doggy to think about too...

Thanks!

Comment

I know of a product once sold called Ticked Off and it looked like a spork with the V notch. I have a couple of them an it worked best with larger ticks. I dont know if its sold anymore tho.
        Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

Stacie...is "Spork" yiddish?

Comment

Oh Allen only you know how to make me laugh. No its not. I didnt even make it up. It goes back to a referece to the spoon/fork thingy you get at the fast food places. LOL I only know a tiny Yiddish.
            Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

Yes they still sell the spork. I have one and I love it. I don't touch ticks. Gross. Gives me the itchies for days. I just make a collection of ticks throught the day in a bottle of alcohol.
              If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

That's funny! I thought it was a foon!

Must be a Southern thang! Like "Ya'll got a foon for yer slaw?!" Right GR?!

You can also stick the tick to clear packing tape- like scotch tape but wider.

Great tip about putting them in the ziploc & keeping them pawsforthought!

I have some in my desk drawer! ewwwww!

I saw on ER vets awhile back where a Schnauzer had tick paralysis. Removed the tick & waa laa all better.

Nasty little boogers!

Erica

Comment

Originally posted by eli View Post
                  Must be a Southern thang! Like "Ya'll got a foon for yer slaw?!" Right GR?!

You can also stick the tick to clear packing tape- like scotch tape but wider.

Great tip about putting them in the ziploc & keeping them pawsforthought!

I have some in my desk drawer! ewwwww!

I saw on ER vets awhile back where a Schnauzer had tick paralysis. Removed the tick & waa laa all better.

Nasty little boogers!

Erica
                  We called them Sporks in California where I grew up, and here in Utah they are also called Sporks. That's funny, "Yiddish for spoon/fork," ROFL....

Tammy in Utah
                  Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Working...
                  X