To Teach! Or not to Teach!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Teach! Or not to Teach!

I bought an exsisting grooming shop last year that I would like to add to a boarding facility that I plan to open. (The shop was bought to supplement the boarding.) The old owner and crew left and I hired on a whole new crew.
    My lead groomer is EXCELLENT and our customers call the shop stating "My dog/cat has never looked this good. Who cut my dog/cat?"
    Knowing that she is very talented, I asked her if she would be interested in teaching?
    She said yes and we have taught 2 students so far. The first student all ready had light experience and was easy to teach and came on board with us when she was done. She is doing a fantastic job!
    The second student did not have any experience and required my leads full scope of teaching.
    My dilemma is this, first and foremost we are a grooming salon. My lead tells me that she finds it hard to make her money and groom her daily amount of dogs while trying to educate a newbie at the same time.
    I'm right with her on this. We both thought she would be able to handle it.
    I split the grooming school income 50/50 with her as I provide everything to include advertisement of the school.
    Seeing as we are a shop in transition and are growing, we do not get enough dogs to hand over as student dogs.
    We discussed putting her on salary so she doesn't loose money but then I'm losing out because I would be paying her a good salary (Believe me I'm fair.) and not enough dogs would be getting done.
    If push comes to shove, I'll scrap the school. I'd like not to, as it adds to her income and is icing on the cake for me.
    Any ideas on how to perform both fairly?

Thanks,

GoldenRottie

Wait until you're really busy, and then have her teach students part time?

Oh, no, that might not work either. I'd scrap the school, it's hard to do both at first with only ONE groomer. You're lucky to have found a good, talented groomer.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Well, BTDT, and in my opinion a teacher should be doing just that...instruction, not worrying about how many dogs he or she still has to get out. That's where a lot of good intentions go bad.

In my shop, I took on students with my assigned dogs, and the owners knew that...I'd have my student work along side of me and I basically kept one eye on that sutdent...some were good others not so good. Each student progresses at is own comfort level. I didn't push a student, but there comes a time when minutes = money and they do have to learn some speed techniques. I never had a problem with my dogs or a student needing help...but I had other groomers in the shop and they did not have students, and me being the owner...I guess it was not a problem.

I have seen the problem from the other side too, students that are working without much supervision because the instructor is trying to get out their allotment of dogs...the student is unhappy and the instructor is unhappy due to the time away from their own dog on the table (across the room)... not a good situation...but one that is on going, even now.

I personally would think that if a student is paying to be taught, then that is what should be expected. I find the groomer that is trying to do a full load of 8,9,10 + dogs, with a dog or two given to a student, and having to stop to help that student to be a trying situation as I am observing it first hand...

Maybe I'm just old fashioned...

www.pamsbubblemobile.com

Comment

running a school may not work the best if your groomer is trying to be an instructor + a groomer. But as your shop grows you have an excellent in house trainer that can take a nebie and over time make them a valued part of you team.

Comment

It's very difficult to be a great groomer and a great teacher at the same time. It's kind of like thinking you'll work at home to be with your kids. It might work better if you had her focus solely on grooming without interruption for five hours and then focus on teaching for two hours, or some workable time split. Trying to be both at the same time really doesn't do justice to either.

Another arrangement could be: She's a groomer four days a week and does teaching one day a week. Or, grooms during the day and offers evening classes where the students don't come into the salon until they've reached a certain level of proficiency.

Comment

What is it worth in the end

I teach and I groom. I can groom 12 to 16 dogs a day with a good bather . If I train, I take 8 dogs. Now I am paying a bather and taking less. And I put then on a no compete contract hoping the will stay. But if they don't, I have lost alot of time and money. (I do charge to train ) and I have had trainee's work 2 days (no pay) and train 2 days This will only work if they REALLY want to learn. The problems to profit book has agood way to work up.

Comment

Working...
            X