help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help please

Technically this shouldn't be posted in general, but I am hoping that more people will see this and offer advice.

My older beagle Biscuit is in a lot of pain. It started out in what we thought was a back ache because she was walking kind of hunched over. Now she is shaking continually and shedding like crazy. She is also jerking. I wish I could show it, because it's kind of hard to explain, but here goes. You know when you are about to fall asleep, and you kind go in and out and can feel your head fall and you jerk it back. That is kinda what she's doing...just a lot more. Just continually jerking and shaking.

I have a vet appointment for her tomorrow afternoon, I was just wondering if anyone had come across this and had any suggestions about what it might be?

Also, does anyone know what I should expect at the vet, I'm assuming a blood test?
    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Ask your vet about BPS (beagle pain syndrome). Here's some information about it. http://www.geocities.com/aladarbeagles/beaglepain.html

Comment

Sorry can't help in any way. Just hoping the vet or someone on here can give you the info you need to make her feel better. It's always so sad when our babies don't feel good.
      "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
      Diane

Comment

You got a new avatar!!! I like it.
        "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
        Diane

Comment

Hopefully someone (like Helly) will have a good answer for you. I'm sorry you have to go through this, it is really hard to watch our pets in pain and not be able to do anything about it.

Tammy in Utah
          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by NeaNea View Post
            Ask your vet about BPS (beagle pain syndrome). Here's some information about it. http://www.geocities.com/aladarbeagles/beaglepain.html
            Thank you so much! As I was reading it I realized that all of those symptons are exactly things I've seen, even things I'd not really realized. Like her jaw has been very very sore, and I just figured, it was her teeth (she's older, and they're not in the best of shape). But then I saw that a sore jaw is a symptom. I printed up the paper so I can ask the vet about it! Thanks again!

Comment

Thanks Pixie! You can actually tell that she must be feeling real bad because she would never have let the other dog lay on the couch with her! I had to take a picture because they never do that!

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                Hopefully someone (like Helly) will have a good answer for you. I'm sorry you have to go through this, it is really hard to watch our pets in pain and not be able to do anything about it.

Tammy in Utah
                Thanks Tammy. It sure is hard! I haven't actually ever had to put a dog to sleep, or even have a dog that was really sick, or in pain. I am really hoping that it is what Nea Nea posted about, because if it is it looks like it can be helped with steriods. I sure hope that's the problem, I don't know what I would do without that dog!

Comment

Originally posted by rapuzzled View Post
                  Thank you so much! As I was reading it I realized that all of those symptons are exactly things I've seen, even things I'd not really realized. Like her jaw has been very very sore, and I just figured, it was her teeth (she's older, and they're not in the best of shape). But then I saw that a sore jaw is a symptom. I printed up the paper so I can ask the vet about it! Thanks again!

Glad I could help I'm just thankful I've never had a beagle with it, but have know a few that have.

I hope that all goes well and her discomfort is cleared up soon.

Here's one of mine doing what she was bred to do.
                  Attached Files

Comment

What a cutie pie! The beagle that I was referring to doesn't act like a typical beagle, she doesn't care to much to sniff. My younger beagle though, is just like that picture! She walks outside and her nose is planted to the ground...and the whole neighborhood knows when she catches a scent, lol.

Comment

Which one is the sick one?

Oh Lauren, I hope the vet can make her well again. I know how it feels. You know, not long agp I thought that Traveler was dieing. he is now perkier than Jax! All is not lost and she may snap out of it with the vets' help. Keep us informed.

Comment

Originally posted by mustluvdogs1 View Post
                        Oh Lauren, I hope the vet can make her well again. I know how it feels. You know, not long agp I thought that Traveler was dieing. he is now perkier than Jax! All is not lost and she may snap out of it with the vets' help. Keep us informed.
                        She's the one in my avatar that's laying on the blue blanket (my old, fatty lol)

Comment

Working...
                        X