Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it possible im allergic to shar peis?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it possible im allergic to shar peis?????

everytime im near a sharpei,i break out in smal red bumps on my arms that itch,it goes away in a few hours,yesterday i did nails on a dog the same thing happened and i told the owner this never happens to me unless its a sharpei,well the owner said she has sharpei in her shes half,although didnt look it,is there something in their fur that makes me break out????

Yep and it's quite common to have this kind of allergic reaction to Shar Pei.

Comment

The same thing happens to me.

Comment

Sharpeis

Yes, it is the bristley fur. Did the same to me. I have nylon sleeves that would work for you. Check catalogs, I think they are still around. I don't do larger dogs such as Sharpeis anymore.

Comment

My friend Hilary, also a groomer has the same problem. She swears it's their hair. She's been putting powder on her arms and hands before she touches them and said it helps a little.

Comment

My coworker is. We have a sharpei (I think she's mixed with something, maybe pit), that comes in for grooms, and my coworker can't touch her or she will get what you described. Very itchy red bumps.
            Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Wow, I learn something all the time.

When I read the header on this post I thought, ok is this a joke. Well I guess it isn't.

I've seen those sleeves that mustluvdogs1 mentioned in the petedge catalog. May want to check into getting them.
              "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
              Diane

Comment

I think it's the fur too. I get the same symptoms every year when I decorate our Christmas tree. When I put the lights in the branches, I end up getting those red dots/bumps all over my forearms, ouch! Not fun. Sorry, I'm still suffering through it every year, so haven't found a solution, lol.
                Erin
                No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

I worked with a young lady

that was only alergic to Old English Bull Dogs. Nothing else, bathing at a chain Pet Store with lots of baths. And a few Bull dogs, not just on or two. So I"d agree one could be alergic to one breed.
                  Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

I don't know that it's an allergy as much as it is just the hair poking you...maybe?

I am this way too. I also get that same little break out when I used to hold my pet rat. Her tail had prickly hair on it and it caused the same issues.

Tammy in Utah
                    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I am allergic to St. Bernards and Spike the yorkie. Actually, all yorkies.. Strange. I have to really load up my allergy meds before I do them or I can't see by the time I am done. Swollen shut eyes make for a hard time driving home lol.
                      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Just thought I'd add to the growing list of "Me, toos". :-)

Comment

Originally posted by RoosMom View Post
                          Just thought I'd add to the growing list of "Me, toos". :-)
                          Me Too!!

Comment

ejmj30

Try those sleeves and use em next Christmas when decorating your tree. I forget to use them with pups with sharp nails.

Comment

I've had the same thing with shar peis.

Comment

Working...
                              X