DREADFUL toenails, poor dog! (Photo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DREADFUL toenails, poor dog! (Photo)

I can't wait to post these with the matted poodle photos that I am waiting to be posted, so I started a new thread---and this really is a separate topic anyway. I know many of you have seen toenails worse than these, but I thought maybe some newbie groomers would benefit seeing these, or if any of you wanted to print out these photos for educational purposes, they are available at your fingertips!

Tammy in Utah
    Attached Files
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

I have never in all my years seen something so terrible, breaks my heart. What is wrong with people? This is an obvious problem at least to me it would have been. this is abuse in my eyes. poor little guy. it's a good thing for the owners that you are a good enough person to not have ripped them a new A-hole when you took in the dog. Your a saint to this dog Tammy

Comment

OMG that poor dog,that is horrible. I hope you will contact your local spca or humane society to have them check on that dog in the future.

I called on one last week, emaciated, dehydrated, covered in thick yellow scaling all over, the Humane Society Officer took pictures and waited for the guy to show up and she ordered him to go to the vet asap.

I don't understand how people can be so cruel!

Comment

That is so sad, but I can top it. I did a mini schnauzer that the first inside nail curled to the outside of the foot. People are so mean.
        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I had one like that last week. Used to be a regular customer and then they got busy and forgot all about the poor dog (who looked like she had bedroom slippers on).

Comment

Ugh

Those kinds of things are so gross. I had a poodle, and I took about 3/4" of nail off. Only, they forced the toes back instead of splaying-out as much. One of the toes was broken and limp. I was so grossed out. The client is now regularly booking, so hopefully this well never happen again.

Cool pictures, though:-)
            Jacob

Comment

I had someone come in, asking "are they long?" these nails were so long they were intertwined with each other! Horrible!!

What are people thinking?

Comment

Wow!

Tammy, personally I have never seen nails like that on any of my clients. It is simply awful. Poor dog. I do groom 2 Cavaliers whose 5th digit nails curl into their pads, even though I constantly cut them down. But nothing as horrible as what you've shown.

Comment

I don't think I've seen nails like that in a long time, thank goodness. So cruel.

How would these people enjoy having their toenails in that condition????
                  "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                  Diane

Comment

Originally posted by sneakers View Post
                    OMG that poor dog,that is horrible. I hope you will contact your local spca or humane society to have them check on that dog in the future.

I called on one last week, emaciated, dehydrated, covered in thick yellow scaling all over, the Humane Society Officer took pictures and waited for the guy to show up and she ordered him to go to the vet asap.

I don't understand how people can be so cruel!
                    We wanted to report them but the dog was not underfed, in fact he was slightly pudgy. He is also an indoor dog, so he's not outside freezing, and he was otherwise healthy. We couldn't report them for the lack of grooming because, well, they brought him in for his grooming.

He was a very good dog, I think the owners like the dog, but I think they are dirty people---that dog LIVES in their house!! YUCK. But I think they knew, from the shock on my face, that he was "overgrown," but they still didn't bat an eye when I showed them the pelt. I knew they'd seen it before.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

PS: I forgot to tell you all that they re-booked for 8 weeks from that strip. I'll call them to remind them but I just have this feeling that they'll be "busy."

Tammy in Utah

Comment

does anyone else notice that alot of people with the smaller breeds tend to carry them around everywhere? alot of the reasoning behind overgrown nails is because *fluffenbutt* isnt put down to walk on a leash like a normal dog! they carry them EVERYWHERE in the cute little bags or in their arms. god forbid that little precious's darling feet touch the *icky dirty yucky ground*.
                        poorpoor dogs....i feel horrible for them having to walka round with nails that long!
                        Hound

Comment

that's too bad

whenever i get a dog in with nails like that i try explaing to them why they should not let them get like that and i also tell them that they can just come in for nails......no appt. they don't have to get the whole bath,etc....you'd be amazed at how many people are just clueless. what is obvious to us is not to alot of pet owners......they always tell me that they had no idea that it would cause them problems or pain with walking......etc...i think my worse exp. was with a cat. i had to cut the curled nails in half and then i pulled about an inch of nail out that was imbedded in the pad.....you know the cat was perfect..i told the owners that they needed to take the cat right to the vet because there was probably infection....i know they did because they called me from the vet.....what bothered me was not the owners....this cat was to that vet weekly because it has medical issues that require weekly vet visits....what happened here? i would think they should do a basic evaluation, in the least, of ears, nails, and skin...it really made me angry, and when the owner wanted me to tell the vet about the inch of nail i took out of the cats pad, i asked the vet,,,"can you tell me why a cat that is in the vet every week would have an inch of nail imbedded in it's pad." i got no response! so here is an example of a pet owner who thinks they are doing everything right for their pet.

Comment

Originally posted by goldiphlox View Post
                            whenever i get a dog in with nails like that i try explaing to them why they should not let them get like that and i also tell them that they can just come in for nails......no appt. they don't have to get the whole bath,etc....you'd be amazed at how many people are just clueless. what is obvious to us is not to alot of pet owners......they always tell me that they had no idea that it would cause them problems or pain with walking......etc...i think my worse exp. was with a cat. i had to cut the curled nails in half and then i pulled about an inch of nail out that was imbedded in the pad.....you know the cat was perfect..i told the owners that they needed to take the cat right to the vet because there was probably infection....i know they did because they called me from the vet.....what bothered me was not the owners....this cat was to that vet weekly because it has medical issues that require weekly vet visits....what happened here? i would think they should do a basic evaluation, in the least, of ears, nails, and skin...it really made me angry, and when the owner wanted me to tell the vet about the inch of nail i took out of the cats pad, i asked the vet,,,"can you tell me why a cat that is in the vet every week would have an inch of nail imbedded in it's pad." i got no response! so here is an example of a pet owner who thinks they are doing everything right for their pet.
                            I agree with what you're saying but here is the other point of view. When we have a cat in weekly (and we do---a cat that gets dialysis, I believe), we do the dialysis and send kitty home---we don't check his her skin/hair/coat/teeth, etc. That's during their once-a-year exam that is required by the state if they are to get vaccinations other than rabies. That is the only thing I can think of. It is up to the owners to do the daily care and checking of their pets. It surprises me when I see animals in the condition we do---do the owners not TOUCH their animals? Pick them up? Look at them? It's just so sad sometimes.

Tammy in Utah
                            Last edited by SpikeyTheYorkie; 06-08-07, 04:50 PM.

Comment

I used to work for this one vet, whenever a dog/cat came in for anything, he looked over the animal completely, and brought anything he found to the owners attention. He was the best. The last vet I worked for, in and out, even boarders...they could sit back in the kennel for a week at a time..nails overgrown, ear infections, flea infested, he was just a lazy vet and wanted to make the most money the easiest way possible. Just complete lack of care. imo, a good vet will take notice and alert the owners, no matter what they are in for...

Comment

Working...
                              X