The day of the shaved Bichons!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The day of the shaved Bichons!

Ok, so I have done my 4 dogs today. Around 3 ish o'clock I got a phone call. The lady asks," Are you familiar with Bichons?" I said," Yes." Then she tells me she took her Bichons to "so and so's" and they shaved their heads! I asked, what like a poodle? And she said," I asked for a teddy bear head and so and so shaved them!"

Ok so it turns out, I worked at that place for acouple months because I had to get a job asap for my house loan. I know how this groomer grooms. And he calls himself the best. But he aint!!

Well this is what happened. She goes to that shop and gets a regular haircut like she has done for the past few years. The groomer has done these dogs since they were puppies. He KNOWS the haircut they get.
    The lady comes back to pick up her dogs and they are about a #4 or #5 a/o INCLUDING their Head, Face, and Ears!!!!! From what I am told, She confronts the groomer and asks what happened! He starts cussing her out and said that is a teddy bear head! She said No it is not!! On and on and the groomer is cussing at her. He then goes back into the grooming area starts to pack up his stuff. The recieptionist says, what are you doing? He said, Apperantly I don't know how to groom. And leaves with 6 dogs unfinished!

After I get off with the lady, who is by the way coming to show me what the dogs look like, and I am eager to see what Whats his name did. I get a phone call from So and So. Begging me to come in and finish the dogs.

I am looking into buying that shop, they offered to sell it to me when I quit to open my home based salon. So to be on the good side and keep the customers if I am going to buy it. I go over and groom the final 6 dogs. This is the second time I have gone over there. Last Sat that groomer refused to work because he didn't get paid yet. LONG STORY.

I told them I am tired of saving their butts. The only reason I am doing it is because I might buy that place and I dont want it to loose customers.

But my thing is is, what the heck is that guy think he is doing?!?! He is crazy! If I get that place he is OUT the door!! Only reason I do want it is because it is already established, also has Doggy Daycare.

Did I misunderstand something? This same groomer has always groomed them, and suddenly he shaves their heads with a #4 or #5???

What a freak show.

Tammy in Utah
    PS: My co-worker took her dog to this really nice doggy daycare, so she decided they could groomer her bichon while he was there. He gets groomed by me every 5 weeks with a #4. They used a #10, possibly reversed, with the clipper vac!! And a CLEAN face. He looked hilarious.
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

nope you didnt misunderstand. exactley what I wrote. He has always groomed them. He is crazy weird I have no idear why he did that!

Comment

I would suspect he has something going on mentally and isn't taking his meds the way he should. Can't have someone like that working with animals.

Comment

It sounds to me that "What's his name", got lazy and maybe at the end of his rope (you know the one that is wrapped around his neck). To clipper the entire dog (from head to toe) is a quick and easy fix. His trying to convince the owner that his clean head version of a teddy bear head is hilarious. He cussed out his request customer then packed up his stuff and left with unfinished dogs. Boy, I sure hope this guy doesn't have a job there anymore. And! I sure hope you buy this place, before the damage is irreversible. Who is the clown that owns that shop, does this person know how to run a business? Under no circumstances should an employee or contractor treat a customer the way he did. I know that sometimes it's hard to bite your tongue, but as they say "The customer is always right (even when they are wrong). I also believe in the 90/10 rule (90% of your customers are good and profitable while the other 10 are annoying and costly-those other 10%, I don't mind kicking to the curb). In this case, the customer had been bringing the dogs to this guy for some time, was probably a great customer, the groomer had no excuse for the lousy job. He knew it too, that's why he acted so defensively!

The other post where the dog was shaved 10 reverse? That dog HAD to be matted. So I suppose the groomer handed over a "pinkie" to the customer. That poor thing had to look like a newborn pig. Even if the customer wanted it short, there should have been no reason to do a 10 reverse.

I love cutting bichon's, but they are one of those breeds that is time consuming. I hand scissor the neck, head and legs. The haircut is precious if done right.

Comment

Originally posted by Briarpatch View Post
            I would suspect he has something going on mentally and isn't taking his meds the way he should. Can't have someone like that working with animals.
            haha funny you mentioned that! He actually does take some antidepressant. omgosh this is cracking me up just thinking about it. The first time he called in when I was working there, 13 dogs by myself ahhh, there was 16 but they rebooked. anyway, the next day he told me,
            "ohhh I did not feel good! I take (some antidepressant) and I asked my doctor if I could drink beer with it. The doctor said I could, just not alcohol." Well he then tells me that his cousin from mexico was leaving that night and he bought some Jack Daniels and drank the whole bottle and that is why he called in sick. Yeah so, I think his meds need to be reperscribed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogmatic1 View Post
              It sounds to me that "What's his name", got lazy and maybe at the end of his rope (you know the one that is wrapped around his neck). To clipper the entire dog (from head to toe) is a quick and easy fix. His trying to convince the owner that his clean head version of a teddy bear head is hilarious. He cussed out his request customer then packed up his stuff and left with unfinished dogs. Boy, I sure hope this guy doesn't have a job there anymore. And! I sure hope you buy this place, before the damage is irreversible. Who is the clown that owns that shop, does this person know how to run a business? Under no circumstances should an employee or contractor treat a customer the way he did. I know that sometimes it's hard to bite your tongue, but as they say "The customer is always right (even when they are wrong). I also believe in the 90/10 rule (90% of your customers are good and profitable while the other 10 are annoying and costly-those other 10%, I don't mind kicking to the curb). In this case, the customer had been bringing the dogs to this guy for some time, was probably a great customer, the groomer had no excuse for the lousy job. He knew it too, that's why he acted so defensively!

The other post where the dog was shaved 10 reverse? That dog HAD to be matted. So I suppose the groomer handed over a "pinkie" to the customer. That poor thing had to look like a newborn pig. Even if the customer wanted it short, there should have been no reason to do a 10 reverse.

I love cutting bichon's, but they are one of those breeds that is time consuming. I hand scissor the neck, head and legs. The haircut is precious if done right.
              Unfortunately this place is run by an 18 year old that is Never there. Her dad bought it about a year ago while his daughter was working there. Her mom worked there too. But a few months after purchasing it, the mom got sick and it has gone downhill from there. Her dad works 16 hr days and does not have time to fix it up.
              So the other person that works there is another 18 year old then whats his name as the groomer. That place aint ran right and needs some guidance.

and by the way, yes he still works there!

Comment

The place is run by an 18 yr old?!!!!!!!! Not very well it sounds like. How soon can you buy it and save the little bit of good reputation it has left? It sounds like the "What's his name" is the one who is really running it, he comes and goes when he pleases.

You're a good sport going over there and finishing up the dogs he left behind. Are you working out of your home right now, or at another shop? Maybe if you're doing it out of your home word will get around and that shops clients will start coming to you and you won't have to buy the shop after all. You'll have ended up with a lot of the clients that have searched you out.
                "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                Diane

Comment

Originally posted by Dogmatic1 View Post
                  No, the dog has NEVER had a tangle in him, and I see him all the time. He has a VERY nice kind of wirey coat, very easy to dry straight, never tangles, groomed every 5 weeks, the owner is a FREAK SHOW about cleanliness. Yes, he looked like a pink piglet with red gouges here and there, scraggly hairs sticking out---it was just a bad attempt at a "groom" and there is NO excuse for a #10 on a dog that pink-skinned reverse OR with the grain. He's never even had a tangle in his ear! If a client tells me short, I never assume "bald" is what they mean, because I don't use anything shorter than a #7 anyway, except for the sanitary.

Tammy in Utah
                  Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                    The place is run by an 18 yr old?!!!!!!!! Not very well it sounds like. How soon can you buy it and save the little bit of good reputation it has left? It sounds like the "What's his name" is the one who is really running it, he comes and goes when he pleases.

You're a good sport going over there and finishing up the dogs he left behind. Are you working out of your home right now, or at another shop? Maybe if you're doing it out of your home word will get around and that shops clients will start coming to you and you won't have to buy the shop after all. You'll have ended up with a lot of the clients that have searched you out.
                    Lord only knows why it is still in business!
                    While I was working there, in my spare time I was fixing up the garage portion of my house into a salon. Once that was ready, I could put in my two weeks.
                    BUT what's his name got mad at the recieptionist because she put down 1 inch a/o for two poms. He refuses to leave any double coated dog no longer than a 7 or 10.
                    ( Even though the week before I did a pom with an attachment comb and he said he had never seen a groom like that before. Another time before that he was mad because one pomeranian had #4 a/o on the card and he said it was matted and told the recieptionist to call them back and tell them it was a shave. I went over and felt the dog. I said, that is not a mat, that is undercoat, Go wash it and blow it out. So he did and guess what!!! He was able to shave it with a 4. )
                    So he refused to do those two pomeranians and left! They called me to come finish the dogs when that was my day off. I said screw that! I called the 18 year old and told her that I am not going to groom mister cry babies dogs coz he doesnt know how to groom and I quit and thats when she offered to sell it. But they are asking TO MUCH.. More than my PT CRUISER!!!

I have been getting some good clientel so far!! Its time to send out postcards and get them back every month. I am making the same amount right now if I had a job that pays hourly. I just need a little more to pay alll my bills with just the money from the shop! My hubby works at walmart in his fav dept, produce. When I get busy enough he will be my bather. Remember Randae? When he bathed at your place that day. hahahaah!!

Comment

Working...
                    X