What if they never get groomed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if they never get groomed?

I did a Pom last night, full of packed down undercoat. Another thread spoke of the Great Pyranees that are with stock and don't get groomed. We see the ones that do get groomed eventually. What happens with those that never see a groomer, but have double coats that shed? Surely there are tons of those dogs. I wonder if the undercoat finally falls out, perhaps when the new winter coat comes in? Or from the dog scritch scratching upside down etc.?

Just pondering, anyone know?
    Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Originally posted by Arrooh View Post
    I did a Pom last night, full of packed down undercoat. Another thread spoke of the Great Pyranees that are with stock and don't get groomed. We see the ones that do get groomed eventually. What happens with those that never see a groomer, but have double coats that shed? Surely there are tons of those dogs. I wonder if the undercoat finally falls out, perhaps when the new winter coat comes in? Or from the dog scritch scratching upside down etc.?

Just pondering, anyone know?
    Sometimes the hair will come off in huge pieces, like you might see with coyotes and wild dogs.

Comment

Maybe they just shear it in the spring with the sheep???

Comment

Well, we didn't have any Pyrs, but growing up we had stock dogs. They were out in the elements, running through brush, etc. The undercoat did come out. Sorta. They often looked a mess. But I don't recall any of them getting all that packed. Probably due to the fact that they were working, not laying around like couch potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by RightlookPets View Post
          Sometimes the hair will come off in huge pieces, like you might see with coyotes and wild dogs.
          That was my thought too. No one is out in the wild grooming coyotes, wild dogs or wolves. I've watched some of the animal planet shows where they have shown wolves coming into the spring from winter and they have huge clumps of hair hanging off them.
          "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
          Diane

Comment

Maybe it would come out on working type dogs on the body but in places where the hair is thicker like on the back of the legs. It stays packed in. And on a long haired pom like most are. I think it would just be trapped. Wild wolves don't have hair as long as a poms. I have seen chows that have not been groomed in their whole life and they are 5-6 yrs old. And some are just a little matted and some are mummified in their own hair. And in Texas. Poor dogs is all I have to say.

Comment

They look like the neighborhood farm dog that lives across the street from me here on my In-law's farm: It is a great pyr. mix and it looks like it has never seen an HV dryer. That poor dog is so hot from all that undercoat, I feel like telling them to get that poor animal in but these type of people don't "get" that a dog needs a groom. GRRR...

Just yesterday morning the owner was outside trying to job with the dog 10 feet behind her on a lead---but he couldn't keep up and he was roasting. I thought "Dumb dumb, look at WHY your dog is roasting!" But how do you politely educate them without them acting like you're looking down on them?

Tammy in Utah
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

You say, hey, I really want to work on my coat blowing techniques. I don't get enough dogs with this kind of coat to practice on. Can I take your dog in for some practice? It would cost you nothing for me to just blow the coat a bit. Yes, you bite the bullet and do a 10 minutes with the HV for free.- Or you could tell them you are practicing for a competition where they see how much undercoat a groomer can remove in 15 minutes, and their dog would be perfect for you. Maybe when they see all the hair, they will give you a little something.

Comment

Working...
                X