Is it just me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me?

Our shop is brand new, opened our doors in Feb. It seems like we are getting all the problem dogs. Not just with how they act but with medical conditions. I don't know if it is just because we are new and people are coming to us because no one else will do the dog, or is this a regular thing in most shops? I find it hard to tell people I can't do these kinds of dogs but in some cases I have to. I feel horrible! The liability is just too high. For instance my other groomer did a dog that was paralized from the waist down, and left a trail of feces from the door to the table. I also have a hard time doing very old dogs. You know the 18 year old pom thats on his last leg. Am I being too careful? I just don't feel comfortable doing these. I don't know. I am lost. Some helpful advice would be nice right now.

yep

it's just you!! lol jk really though, i'm sure it's because you haven't been open that long.the people who have dogs that noone else wants to do say, "Oh, look, a new shop opened up. Let's see if they'll groom Puddles"....hey hun......did ya see that new groomin shop that opened up? take Killer over there and see if they'll give him a whirl....hahaha..........Don't worry. soon enough, you too will be weeding out all those nobody wants to groom them dogs. In the mean time, if you get any calls from anyone with dogs named.......Jaws,Puddles,Killer,Stinker,Grumpy,Sir Poopsalot........just say no!lol

Comment

typical

with a new shop, but more the biters and OAY dogs that the other shops won't do. Possibly the other shops have said they won't do them or they are tired of the lectures so they try the new shop. It is almost like hazing, lol. I do a lot of medical problem dogs myself, but one on one.

One has to think that in very many instances most good dog owners are getting their dog groomed somewhere when you open. There will be the puppies and new dogs, new people to the area, but otherwise you need to have people leave where they are going to your shop. That can take awhile, but good grooming, clean shop and good customer service will go very well.
      Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

I think if you explain to the owner that because the dog has a medical condition or of it's age that you feel the dog should be groomed under the supervision of a vet. It's too stressful on the groomer and mostly the dog. I haven't felt bad at all refusing to do a pet. You have to use your best judgement and what is best for the dog. Also if dogs are diffuclt to do, once again I have no problem saying no. I would rather say no then have something happen to them while in my care.

Comment

I also opened in Feb and have had my fair share of old, iskc and injured dogs.
          I am refered to by the vet clinic so many call for me and have their vet apt directly after...the vets know I will do a decent 'TLC' clip (short for comfort and cleanliness).
          The other groomers have enough clients to say, Not a chance and send them my way.

Comment

I don't know if this helpful or not, but I think if you're not comfortable doing those types of dogs then don't do them. I don't think you should feel bad about it either. We give ourselves way too many guilt trips. I know it's easier said than done. I felt so guilty this afternoon when a good client came by to book an oppointment and I had no openings for the next 2 weeks - so I'm grooming her dog tomorrow on my day off. (sigh) But if it was a dog that I did not enjoy grooming or felt uncomfortable with it for one reason or anther I wouldn't have caved. You're probably getting more than your fair share of problematic dogs becuase you're new and these dogs have been turned away at other places. Try not to feel horrible or guilty - You're not the only groomer and perhaps there's one out there that would be willing to take some of these on. Do what's best for you. You'll thank yourself.

Comment

Yes!!

Comment

If you don't feel comfortable doing a certain dog don't do it. Best they be sent to the vet groomer where if there is an emergency happens there is a vet there to handle it.

As the others have said, you're new and people are going to be checking you out and the other shops will be sending clients your way because they don't want to deal with those clients any longer. You can also send dogs away.
                "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                Diane

Comment

I don't groom dogs in that condition, nor do I groom "once a year" dogs. I don't groom "biters" I don't allow rudeness, or hostile attitudes either! forget it, its your business,run it the way YOU want. Why spend the time on these dogs,in my opinion, that should be groomed at the vets in the first place? Set yourself up to groom the nicee's that come in every 4-6 weeks and build on them. They are the ones that will feed you in the winter! Do not feel bad, there are groomers that will groom them, so let them!

Comment

Ditto what everyone else has said.

And really, if you don't feel comfortable doing a dog, don't do it. I definately wouldn't groom a dog that is paralyzed and has no bowel control. In fact, I'm getting ready to refuse a couple of dogs that poo all over the table several times during the groom. I don't mind one poo, but a dog that stands there, dropping tootsie rolls ever 5 minutes? Nope. That dog is too stressed, and I don't need that added headache.

Comment

Yes if you won't do it someone will. For example, Last year a client came in with her dog in good condition, her dad came in with her with HIS dog. His dog was a very matted sheltie. I told him I could not (would not) demat his dog, I had time to shave it or nothing. He tried to get me to bathe it and said he would demat it later, I said I couldn't do that I can't let a matted dog walkout the door with my name on it. So I refused the dog, the guy left, but I did groom his daughters dog that day. When they came back I asked if he found an answer for his dog, he said yeah, So n so down the road dematted it. I said oh good! Elated I wouldn't have to be the one to do it. I don't want to spend my time dematting a dog when I feel the owner is not willing to take care of the dog once it has been dematted, they will just let it get matted again. Now on the other hand with the elderly dog. Have a policy and stick to it. Whether it is a certain age cut off or a certain condition, cut off. Like you can't groom dogs on anti seizure medication, dogs over 16, immobile dogs. Etc. But DO have a name and number or card or a local vet with a groomer to refer them too.

Comment

Originally posted by sassylittlepoodle View Post
                        Our shop is brand new, opened our doors in Feb. It seems like we are getting all the problem dogs. Not just with how they act but with medical conditions. I don't know if it is just because we are new and people are coming to us because no one else will do the dog, or is this a regular thing in most shops? I find it hard to tell people I can't do these kinds of dogs but in some cases I have to. I feel horrible! The liability is just too high. For instance my other groomer did a dog that was paralized from the waist down, and left a trail of feces from the door to the table. I also have a hard time doing very old dogs. You know the 18 year old pom thats on his last leg. Am I being too careful? I just don't feel comfortable doing these. I don't know. I am lost. Some helpful advice would be nice right now.
                        Send them to the vet groomer in town. Oh, I am the vet groomer, lol. I have access to help when I need it...FAST. Your problem might be your lack of confidence in dealing with these issues. People tend to "feed" on that. Once you're on top of things and you know what dogs you will and will not take, you'll be better prepared AHEAD OF TIME to handle each situation as it comes.

It is VERY frightening to groom a dog that is very old, and although you can't help but feel for the poor little paralyzed guy, you also can't help but feel frustrated about having to pick up the poo line from the door to the table! There is nothing wrong with not wanting to do a dog like this, even if it's just for the reason that they are difficult.

Nevertheless, do make sure you charge enough for your time and work because they are not easy to groom! Good luck!

Tammy in Utah
                        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I also agree with the others. Some people may think you'll be a bargain just because you are new and without established clientele. Hopefully, you are charging accordingly for these OAY messes-and do give them a nice lecture on the importance of regular grooming. As far as the old and infirm pets, do what you are comfortable with. I really think there comes a time in a pets life, that they should no longer have to go to the groomer. They just can't take the stress, they hurt all over, etc. Then, the owner needs to just do what they can at home to keep them comfy-a little at a time. Years ago when I had to muzzle my sweet and good Sealyham just to clip her, I knew it was time to set her spirit free. She just hurt all over. Sometimes, the owners don't even realize (or can't face it) that it's time to say good-bye.
                          Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by goldiphlox View Post
                            it's just you!! lol jk really though, i'm sure it's because you haven't been open that long.the people who have dogs that noone else wants to do say, "Oh, look, a new shop opened up. Let's see if they'll groom Puddles"....hey hun......did ya see that new groomin shop that opened up? take Killer over there and see if they'll give him a whirl....hahaha..........Don't worry. soon enough, you too will be weeding out all those nobody wants to groom them dogs. In the mean time, if you get any calls from anyone with dogs named.......Jaws,Puddles,Killer,Stinker,Grumpy,Sir Poopsalot........just say no!lol
                            Sure,Thanks alot!LOL! I have told a few people to go elseware, I am just so afraid they are going to spread bad rummers about me. I guess after awhile I will feel a little more confident and have a steady stream of clients. Then I won't worrie any more. (I hope!)

Comment

hey Goldiphlox good advice but I think that she should be more wary of the dogs named fluffy, cookie, princess,peanut haha Lol. I get alot of the messy hard dogs where I am too. All you can do really is either say no or just offer to do the best you can afterall you are not a miracle worker right?

Comment

Working...
                              X