Horse & Exotics Grooming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse & Exotics Grooming

We have been asked many time to add some basics for grooming animals other than cats and dogs. We also have some pet schools that actually teach horse grooming who are contributing info. If you are skilled at horse, ferret, rabbit or other grooming and have any photos, articles etc to share please let me know. Thanks.
    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

I am interested in learning more about horse grooming, We just got one and I know all the basics but would love to be more creative Any ideas? Hes a Sorrel Quarter Horse.

Comment

Originally posted by CountryCanines View Post
      I am interested in learning more about horse grooming, We just got one and I know all the basics but would love to be more creative Any ideas? Hes a Sorrel Quarter Horse.
      Lucky you!! I want a horse so bad but I'm afraid because I have no idea how to take care of them and I know it's very expensive and alot of work. Eventually I will own one after I take some horse care lessons or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by CountryCanines View Post
        First, get him used to the clippers. ;-) You can do all sorts of things, from 'classy' to 'crazy' with a pair of clippers.lol Some of the things you can do aren't that much different from grooming a dog, at least one going into the show ring- baby powder on well-scrubbed white socks to make them whiter, baby or mineral oil on muzzle and around eyes to make them glisten, products like Show Sheen does the same for the body. Don't forget hoof polish- though I like the clear better than the black. Braiding manes and tails is an art unto itself; there are professional braiders that clean up going to horse shows and braiding manes and tails for competitors. In another life, I was a groom for a Morgan horse farm that went to the world championships. My newly acquired QH gelding doesn't know what he's in for. :-)

Comment

i'd love to learn horse grooming, i'm in central KY the horse business is big money here i'd be rich for sure!

Comment

Oh Good Roo - another Horse owner I wanna be creative! He has is sorrel w/ a white star. Flasy socks. Hes so laid back & I can do whatever to him. I remember when I was little and we boarded our horse, there was a fam w/ a white horse and he was always different colors! lol. I have no idea what they used to color him but it was crazy. What brand of clippers do you recommend w/ these guys? I Know he has been previously clipped. We board him at a farm where he has lived pretty much his whole life so they know all his vices. Its funny grooming here in a rural area- I have been asked to do goats, horses, sheep.........am I in the wrong biz doing just dogs? LOL. Maybe I should go into Farm Animal Grooming.........How much would you charge to clip a horse? sheesh I cant imagine!

Comment

Country Canines

As long as you're not doing a full-body clip on a winter coat, you can use the same clippers you use on your dogs. :-) For a full-body clip, I like the large animal clipper that Oster makes- those will go through anything!lol I like to use a regular human disposable razor if you want to trim up whiskers on the muzzle, if going to a show. There is some controversy on removing those- horses can't see under their noses, so those whiskers act as feelers. I leave them on my horses. I like cordless, super-quiet clippers for the insides/edges of ears. On manes and tails, always pull straggly hairs, don't cut! Think 'hand-stripping' instead of 'scissoring'. ;-) They make combs especially for pulling manes, if you get that into it. There are also some really good braiding books out there, and you can even braid things into their manes and tails, like beadwork. You can also adjust the amount of bridle path you clip to make the neck look more balanced.

I've seen people clip some interesting patterns onto their horses rumps.lol I tend to be more subtle, like clippering a diamond pattern above each hoof.
              You can certainly use vegetable coloring on his white socks if you want to be out of the ordinary, too. (My boy only has one white half-sock, so no fun for me there.) If you do that, I want pics! :-)

Comment

I've clipped my pony before. He was a furry beast before...see the pics, and after he had his spots back!!! I bathed him first and dried him with an HV. I don't reccomend using an HV on a horse unless they are used to it! Then I used my Laube clippers and took him down with a 10 blade. I have also clipped my horses too. I put a trace clip on my old horse. A trace clip is where you clip lines on the horse where the harness would sit. There are many different patterns to clip horses in, it all depends on the discipline you are showing in.
                Attached Files

Comment

Doggiegroomer, he's sooo cute!

For the uninitiated, a trace clip is usually done on a winter coat to areas of the body that sweat heavily during work, so that it dries more quickly. :-)

Comment

[QUOTE=pretty_green_quaker;50112]Lucky you!! I want a horse so bad but I'm afraid because I have no idea how to take care of them and I know it's very expensive and alot of work. Eventually I will own one after I take some horse care lessons or something like that.[/QUOTE

The work part is probably right but I just don't see that they are all that expensive! I feed two horses grass hay, a little alfalfa and some grain -- my feed bill is about $50 per month. Vaccines are cheap if you do your own and de-wormer is a breeze. Tack is expensive if your have to buy new but I like used and broke in anyway. Good luck -- hope you're horsey dreams come true!

Comment

here is one I just did

This is Maple tree farms Yankee Premier Buster for short.

I just did him about a month ago. We used to have a herd of 25 back in the eighties. Horses are all I ever used to do.

Ten blade backwards starting from the top of the back foot up the bottom, around the tail and over the back, to the base of the maine.

Then just do section always going aginst the grain. Clean horse a must.
                      You could take a seven with the hair before the bath to rough off the worst of it.(minis have hair like yaks), then bath, then show clip.
                      A good one will have no score marks

This colt has won both his classes this year, but has not won a jr champonship yet, and that is our goal with him. He has a sister but I havn't downloaded her photos yet.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Redbird- Thats a nice little mini you have there! Cute head, long neck, and nice conformation. Get that belly tucked up and I'm sure he'll get his championship!

Comment

I have actually seen a couple of books on clipping different clips on horses.

I have done the 10 backwards on both of my horses. You do this on everything except for mane and tail. Having said this you can use your 10 to make a bridle path also.

Comment

I have an insulin resistent old gelding that I clip in the spring, just the spots where he sweats the most. Then, we can still ride and exercise him and he isn't still wet by evening when it's still chilly. I use a wide #10 backward. I use the 10 or 15 for bridle path and fetlocks too.

I've been wanting to color my daughters leopard appy pink. Haven't had the time yet though.

Comment

Here is my mini gelding that I clip with a 10 reverse to keep his light dapples. He doesnt get a really fancy clip job as he is a performance horse and not a halter horse,(although I do show him inn halter at the open shows just for fun) so no razored muzzle, just a 50 on muzzle and bridle path and ears.
                              The pinto foal is going to her first show this weekend and we are clipping her with a 10 reverse on her body, a 15 reverse on her legs, most likley a 30 on her head and 50 on her muzzle,over her eyes, bridle path and inside her ears. We will most likely have to reclip her body for her classes on sunday bacause she will have grown out to much to look sleek but thats what happens over a long weekend
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by petstylist; 06-05-07, 09:54 PM. Reason: didnt finish my sentence

Comment

Working...
                              X