grooming when it's H-O-T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grooming when it's H-O-T

Our air conditioner in the shop that I work at has been broken since wednesday. We have a thermometer in there and every day it's AT LEAST 85 degrees in the building. It's horrible!

By the end of the day I'm soaked with sweat (and smelling like a gym sock) and I've noticed that I've had a lot less patience because I'm so hot and I just want to be finished so I can get out of that oven. My last dog has been getting yelled at alot by me and I know it's not the dog's fault. (I'm not mean though, don't worry. Just the normal..."why are being so bad!? just let me do your nails and you'll be done! ahhhhhh I hate grooming!" LOL)

I've been making sure that all the dogs have fans on their cages so they don't overheat, but they still are panting like crazy. This better be fixed by tomorrow or I'm gonna go insane.

Also, I saw a snake at work today! It slithered right over my foot and scared the **** out of me until I realized what it was. We almost never see snakes around here.

Originally posted by pretty_green_quaker View Post

Also, I saw a snake at work today! It slithered right over my foot and scared the **** out of me until I realized what it was. We almost never see snakes around here.
    I would have been out of there sooooooo fast!!!! I can't stand snakes. I don't even look at them in the zoo.

My shop is not air conditioned but it is a garage and I have the front big door open and then the window so if there is a breeze it comes right through the place, plus I have a couple of fans (little ones) too. The dogs usually aren't left too long so I'm not usually worried about them getting too hot. I do have a fan that I can turn on them if I think they need one.

One day last week I did feel a little faint from the heat I guess. I had to actually sit down and put my head between my legs. After a few min I felt much better. I also got a drink of water.
    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
    Diane

Comment

I use to work at a boarding kennel whose ancient a/c quit one summer. The owner was too cheap to fix it, so instead of my usual 12 dogs a day I cut it down to where I would only do 3 or 4 a day. He fixed my a/c not too long after that! LOL!
      I know it's no fun to work in heat like that. Here's hoping they fix yours quick!

Deanne

Comment

That is sooooo not fun!!! Tell the boss he/she had better get that fixed or you are on vacation till it is. Your boss sounds like a total cheapskate!! Only one HV and having to go days w/out AC.....cheap cheap!!! Is he working too, or sitting on his butt w/a fan blowing on him? He better take care of the situation before he starts to loose clients. I sure as heck wouldn't leave my dogs in a sweatshop where even the employees are croaking from heat stroke!!!
        SheilaB from SC

Comment

You're another poster whose got sleazy cheap bosses. RIDICULOUS!!! You groomers need to stand up for yourselves and go on strike. Is this the ONLY place in town you can find a job?

Tammy in Utah
          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Grooming in Hell?

Who's your boss, Satan? One dryer and no a/c?! I am mobile in Arizona and I too have no a/c (no gen). I bought a small cheap fan and it turns my mobile oven into a mobile CONVECTION oven! lol Seriously though, a fan is better than nothing!

Comment

when that happened at the last vet hospital I was in we sent the dogs home.I'm in southern Ca. it gets up to a 110 here.We told the owners (vets) we would not be taking dogs in until they fix it. We had a new one by the end of the week.

Comment

The first couple of shops I worked for had no ac at all. It just wasn't done back then, I guess. We just drank lots of ice water and tea, used fans, and once in a while I'd stick my head and wrists under the faucet. A damp cloth on the back of your neck helps, too. Especially if you tuck an ice pack in it.

Comment

Yikes what about when it's 112?

Oh wow, how can ya stand it? I am in east valley. I love my new A/C I can get it to 67 degrees, chilly when it is 100 outside.The $800+ was worth it. RV roof top kind of A/C.

Comment

Originally posted by mustluvdogs1 View Post
                    Oh wow, how can ya stand it? I am in east valley. I love my new A/C I can get it to 67 degrees, chilly when it is 100 outside.The $800+ was worth it. RV roof top kind of A/C.

I agree with you! I'm in Tucson, and just put a brand new A/C up on the roof of my RV that's being converted. About $800, but I could NOT groom through the summers here without it.

Comment

It's fixed!

The a/c got fixed early this morning, yay! My boss isn't bad, he just doesn't understand grooming and what we need. It's a huge kennel/cemetary/training/grooming place so his focus isn't totally on the grooming. Also right now the company is struggling to survive and he's had to make some cutbacks, we no longer get cologne or ribbon And we've always bought our own material for bandanas. I think he'd be willing to help us out but nobody has asked him and I don't want to be the one to do it. I know he's struggling right now. But we've been super busy later so it looks like things are getting better.

Comment

I'm glad that you got it fixed! Having no AC also keeps your dog from drying, especially here where it's so humid!
                        Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Wow no colonge or ribbon! I consider those finishing touches on my groom dogs.Those items are inexpensive and last a while you can get colonge and ribbion for under 7.00 each walmart has some cute ribbon for .99.

Comment

Working...
                          X