Oooo! Heeby jeebies, itchy itchy!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oooo! Heeby jeebies, itchy itchy!!!

Today I was grooming my LAST dog of the day, a little black shih tzu shave down. He isn't groomed often enough, but it's an easy groom and he's a cute little guy.

Well, he had these crunchy little bumps on his ears, and then I felt along his body and it was just bumpy all over, tiny little bumps, crunchy feeling.

I had a vet tech come back and we both looked closely. OH MY HECK IT MOVED!!!! EEEEEEK!! My skin started crawling and itching right away.

They took the moving bug and placed it under a microscope: LICE! The dog had LICE!

The owner was grossed out too, but relieved when I told her that the vet had said it was species-specific, no worry about her kids having it. But still, I just gagged, especially when I looked under the microscope. It's legs were moving, it nearly made me gag, literally!

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Thanks, now I'm itchy!
    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
    Diane

Comment

YUCK!!! I'm getting the heebies thinking about it.

Comment

I haven't run across lice yet, but I think that the "Plus" in the Frontline Plus is supposed to prevent lice. What did you do to kill them?

Comment

I know how you feel

I had groomed this cocker about 12yrs ago and the thought of this grooming still makes me ill. This poor dog was so matted you couldn't even see it's face he had everything matted and a small air hole to breath out of. It took me hours to strip him down, I found fishing line and hook in rear leg, cheet grass every place inbedded deep into skin. I got to the feet and started grooming the pads and found Maggets I saw hundreds I couldn't eat white rice for serveral years (yuck) I got so mad I turned these people in for not taking care of this sweet dog. I have never had to do that before or since. I hope they took that dog to a better home.

Tina
          Wag'ntails
          ID

Comment

This is a ? for Pixy

I like the way your dogs face looks the teddy bear cut, I do many of these cuts a week but I don't like the way the sides of the face turns out can you tell me how you do your dog's face? it looks really good. I think I take too much of the blade down the side then scissor it.

Thanks
            Wag'ntails
            ID

Comment

Blah!!!! I groomed 2 kitties Thursday whose owners kids were being treated for head lice. I know cats don't "get" people lice, but from what I understand they can hang out on a cat till another host comes along. I was VERY itchy and paranoid and had my hair pulled up when I groomed them.....which I hate because it gives me headaches!!!... Darn it I am scratching now, just the thought......
              SheilaB from SC

Comment

Originally posted by wagn'tails66 View Post
                I had groomed this cocker about 12yrs ago and the thought of this grooming still makes me ill. This poor dog was so matted you couldn't even see it's face he had everything matted and a small air hole to breath out of. It took me hours to strip him down, I found fishing line and hook in rear leg, cheet grass every place inbedded deep into skin. I got to the feet and started grooming the pads and found Maggets I saw hundreds I couldn't eat white rice for serveral years (yuck) I got so mad I turned these people in for not taking care of this sweet dog. I have never had to do that before or since. I hope they took that dog to a better home.

Tina
                Wag'ntails
                ID
                Was anything ever done about this poor dog? That is sooo sad.

Tammy in Utah
                Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

eeewww,
                  i had to go and read this while eating my breakfast! ralph. I am so glad to be to the point that i can be picky and choosy. but believe me, i have done it all. the worst, well, one of the worst i saw was this collie that came in to be shaved. lady hands groomer a bottle of bug spray (this was many moons ago) she said when the bugs come out just spray them with this. now that would have been enough for me to say, no thanks i'll pass. but, as the groomer started to shave, the maggots started popping out from under the skin. eeekkk....a few weeks later, the lady comes in all jovial, guess what? i got another collie!! well this collie makes 3. i just looked at her and said, now why would you go and get another one when you can't take care of the ones you have?!? yikes. I really have to admit. i've never been one of those groomers that can just stir the dog hair into the drink and still drink it! nope, i'm a sensitive little butterfly with a sensitive stomach....so now i've just wasted my entire breakfast!

Comment

Not many things freak/gross me out...but lice is definitely one that does!
                    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Working...
                    X