Has anyone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone...

ever had a client ask you to hand scissor their retriever before?? If so how does it look when you are done?? I had a lady ask this of me and I thought it odd but maybe thats because Ive never heard of such a thing I dont know.

I'm assuming you're speaking of a Golden Retriever rather than, say, a duck tolling retriever, right?

I have had some Golden's that are a deep rust/orange color that have this fluffy orange curly hair that sort of stands up. It can be scissored, but not without some effort, as it doesn't stand up like poodle hair, just patches of it does.

I have NO idea how to scissor it. If it CAN be scissored, then it doesn't have "regular" golden retriever hair.

Good luck on this one!

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I hand scissor newfs for shows all the time. I can't imagine a golden would be too much different. It's a different look, and a lot of work.

Comment

I have scissored golden retrievers quite a lot. Mostly shortening the feathers down or off, along with the underside of the neck and chest hair. A coat king works great in thinning out so it scissors down better. Sometimes the owners will also want the rest of the hair shortened, and that can be done with a long attachment comb. It usually combs out looking pretty nice. I do it with Aussies and border collies too. I have done it with my own aussies.

Comment

I do this a lot. I make the dog look like a show golden retriever would. I don't trim the hair on the dogs back though. I do trim ears, tails, legs, tummy, sides, and front of neck. It is a lot of work, but the dog is so gorgeous after word I really like doing these haircuts. I use thinning shears all over the ear to give the dog a smooth ear. I hate hairy golden ears.

Comment

Interesting

I do and did trim feathers, bum hair their belly hair and sometimes chest hairs, but never body hair. She wanted half off everywhere. I ended up just brushing the undercoat out and the dog looked really nice and soft and she was happy. I didnt hand scissor the whole dog because I was scared the dog would look like a 5 year old was having way to much fun lol.

Comment

Next time, just use a longer snap on comb in reverse, then scissor "finish". I do a lot of goldens this way, they look so cute.

Comment

I use a Clip Comb on most of my goldens, then with that goofy fuzz that spikey was talking about i just use my furminator tool or used to use a 40 blade to card all that sutff off. I think when most owners say" hand scissor " they really mean scissor off or short most of the feathering , legs, chest, belly , rear, tail??

Comment

I have given many a golden a "haircut" but removing the undercoat and just triming off the flyaways on the body and neatening the furnishings.

Comment

Originally posted by Peaster View Post
                    I have given many a golden a "haircut" but removing the undercoat and just triming off the flyaways on the body and neatening the furnishings.
                    Zactly!lol Most owners don't realize that just getting out the dead undercoat will make it look shorter- you then neaten all the furnishings, tail, and feet, and it looks like you 'shortened' the whole dog. :-)

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. Ya that is very true RoosMom. Just by brushing the undercoat there is a big difference. The owner actually thought I "scissored" the body shorter. But I didnt I just brushed the undercoat and it seemed to do the trick. I might next oppurtunity try the clip comb trick I was thinking of that actually but i wasnt sure if the clip comb would go through all the thick fur. Now I know for next time. Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Yeah, we had a customer complain because she said that she brought her golden in for a bath and we trimmed her. I assume they just brushed out the undercoat, because our bathers dont trim at all. They dont know how and they dont have the equipment.

Funny thing though, when I read your post I automatically thought you were talking about labs. I dont know where my brain is.

Comment

Working...
                        X