maintenance plans.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maintenance plans.........

A lady pulled up to my shop this morning when I was checking my mail......she wanted to know if I did maintenance plans. She said she went to the other groomer in my town and they do her two yorkies, haircut/bath/etc, for $10 each every 2 wks. Anyone do this? A full haircut for $10???

i would send her back to the other shop. when i worked at a petsomething, a woman called and said at the other store they charged her this amount. she wanted me to do a chow at a chihuahua price. i told her no and called the other store. she tried to pull the same thing on them. she may be trying to play one off of the other.
    Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
    "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

OMG don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We did and almost lost the shop!!! It doesn't make any $ sense

Comment

I would tell her, "Wow, what an unheard of price! You had better stick with them." ;-)

Comment

I was just thinking - thats about what I charge for NAIL TRIMS! lol. Where is the logic w/ these groomers? These are BOTH groomers close to me, 2 separate facilities.....one has a shop and one at a vet hosp. This makes me look insanely expensive which irritates me. I thought maybe someone on this list could explain their thinking to me but I guess I am the sane one since you guys think thats nuts too! lol - whew! And unfortunately this wasnt the 1st woman to ask me about these plans so its true! yikes.......

Comment

Closest I can come to that is a Cocker who's in a sporty cocker cut ( 9 back and Ecc on skirt) I do him every two weeks.....20 for the bath , and 30 for the groom alternating every other appt. but he's the only dog I do that for because he's never late , never no shows and is a great dog with great owners who hate when he's not all silky and soft ( and they tip great too!!)

Comment

I'd be interested to know why she was stopping by your place?? Is she looking for a place that does a better looking $10 haircut?? I would tell her she's getting a $10 haircut, sorry that doesn't exist at your place.

Comment

Originally posted by CountryCanines View Post
                Anyone do this? A full haircut for $10???
                Not only no, but HECK NO!!!

That's almost the same price as my nail trim too! FORGET IT! She must be pullin' your leg. Let the other groomer keep charging that amount so when she goes out of business, you'll have a whole bunch of new clients who will get a really great haircut for their buck. Who can groom enough dogs to live off of for $10/each? Quantity brings down quality.

Tammy in Utah
                Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Yep, Nope

I was going to do a maintenance program, but sort of never got to it. I do one Bichon for full groom, then two weeks later a bath, two weeks later a full groom again. It is 20 less for the bath, so it ends up sort of a maintenance program. But jeepers $10 for a groom? Yikes. Even cage dryed and zooming over with a snap on could not ever be worth that.
                  Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

hrm...i know the last shop i worked at we had a customer who came in EVERY WEEK with her maltese...she followed the shop owner from the first place she worked to where she started her business! well i guess at the last shop she was only charged 10 dollars/week for her dogs bath (maltese). so my boss felt she couldnt just raise the price on her since the lady followed her! now i dont know how much the lady paid for a H/C....but geez! it really wasnt worth it to do for 10 bucks! the dog was older (i think 15) and a huge pita to do!
                    PLUS she got medicated shampoo AND the owner stayed!
                    UGH!!!!
                    so there are some places that do this...maybe the other shop owners feel they cannot raise the price on her? what kind of dog does she have anyways?
                    Hound

Comment

if you think of it. Average bather 7ish an hour. Average dog takes 15-30 min to bath correctly. 15+ to fluff. 10-60 min to finish depending if clean up or full hair cut. We had some that were 10 some that were 15 every week. Not to mention that thurs, fri and sat were booked solid with these. So poodle if you are only spending 45 min on it Total time you can only make 1.75 Oh yes that does not include shampoo or matching taxes. Very bad_bad idea. Another shop brought it over, I was almost to pregnant to see the problem at the time. Terrible!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The shop that I work at offers a 2 week plan, but it is just a bath, nails, and a touch up (around eyes). You could then charge a certain amount. But make the client knows that this is only if they get on a regular grooming schedule such as every 4-6 weeks.

So not only are you getting the cost of the full groom, but you are getting a bath cost. This adds up over the whole year.

Comment

Is that lady out of her mind!!!!!
                          If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Update

The woman I talked to yesterday referred a friend to me today. The reason they have to switch groomers is that the other one decided to no longer open on saturdays. I explained my haircut price - but that we could bathe her maltese every 2 weeks for less and get on a schedule and she was fine w/ it. All you need to do is stick w/ your prices! Had I lowered myself JUST to get these clients I wouldve been off my rocker I stuck to it, and got them as clients anyway PLUS a referral. It pays off

Comment

Oooh, that is good news!

I was going to add that today we bathed (ONLY bathed----it was a kennel bath for 2 bostons in boarding) these two obnoxious boston terriers and guess what? We didn't do nails, clean ears, no anal sacs expressed---they just got a "no more stinkies" bath, and it was $16---and they were kennel dried only!

Tammy in Utah
                              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Working...
                              X