Shaving Down a Lab X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaving Down a Lab X

Ok, I read the post in January about shaving down Labs. But can anyone tell me a little more on about how to make it look nice! How far down on the legs do you go? I used a #9 but where do you stop. also the head! I just didnt like my finished dog look...Please help any suggestions?

I have done a #10 before. I just take a #7 in reverse and usually go from the hock up on the back legs, and almost around the wrist part on the front legs. I leave some around the head and go with the grain with the 7, or a 4 reverse and blend it then use thinning shears. I have a pic on post called Prince Brownie

Comment

I almost always have to do at least a little bit of reverse clipping to fix track lines, and blend. Try using a five or seven backward to smooth out the track lines, and also the areas that are darker and shorter, like the bottom of the legs, and the head.
      Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I usually shave the head too. There will be areas where the blade won't take any hair off, and they will blend into the rest of the head that you do shave.

Ditto for the legs. I just keep going until I hit the areas where the hair is so short that the blade doesn't take any hair off.

Comment

Why in Hellys' name would you shave a Lab when all you need is BestShot?

Comment

Well, Helly does it because the customer requests it. Down here, it's usually to aid in tick removal. When dogs come in with 100+ ticks, some of them no bigger than a flea, it's a lot easier to do on dogs with no hair.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawshpooch View Post
              I have done a #10 before. I just take a #7 in reverse and usually go from the hock up on the back legs, and almost around the wrist part on the front legs. I leave some around the head and go with the grain with the 7, or a 4 reverse and blend it then use thinning shears. I have a pic on post called Prince Brownie
              Ditto.

Tammy in Utah
              PS: LOL, Allan and Helly
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I refused sisters' lab

When Cocoa goes to her petsitting place she comes home w/zillions of ticks. My sis has a very clean cute house and hates bloody tics! I will not bathe her cuz I don't have clientsw/ticks. She also wanted a shave. I think with all the dust and dirt and tick a bath would be first but them hard to dry her for trim. Also I can't stand the tick-killing smell, it gives me a killer headache. So she took her business to a shop tho she didn't want her in her little Cooper.I told her to get Frontline. The dogs get to run and not in cages, and $20 a day but what can she do for future visits to help w/ more ticks? I would like to ad Cocoa to my client list as she just stand s quietly but NO TICKS! My sister only lives 1 mile away too. Also, don't know what to charge her. She does not like to pay much. Can you give me an idea of sister fees? Are we allowed to say? She is even good about nails just heavy and we both have to lift her into tub.

Comment

Thanks for the helpful hints...No she doesnt have any ticks...customer just wants shoooort for summer! Its very hot in the AZ. Pawsh i would love to see the pic of Prince Brownie...Im pretty new at this stuff..what, where do I click to find it?

Comment

Originally posted by mustluvdogs1 View Post
                    When Cocoa goes to her petsitting place she comes home w/zillions of ticks.
                    Your sister needs to find a new petsitter! I would never endanger my pet's health by allowing them to go somewhere that they pick up ticks. Doesn't she know about tick fever, lyme disease, etc.? Personally, I don't charge my sister for shaving her dog- but we all, as a family, do favors for each other, so it's just payback. ;-)

Comment

MArcy...I wopuldn't go any shorter than a 7f in Az...the dog will get sun burn!

Comment

weird

I was just about to post about this but saw that someone else got to it first.

I tried everything that you guys said though and it still didn't work...came out ****** as can be. (dog had very short hair already)

Comment

Sister wanted to pay me cuz she said she pays Pet---

Do all ticks indanger a dog for tick fever? These are tiny usually, not like ones in calif that resemble growths or warts. They are blood-sucking vampires tho. She does need to rethink the pros and cons. Said she liked her to roam in the huge yard and play w/ other dogs verses kennel. Also it isn't cheaper if she has to go for tick dips etc after the visits. My sis is NOT a smart dog owner.$20 Day is not cheap if she has aftercare for dirty dog and so ticky. If she chooses to take her there again, can she help prevent them w/ Frontline or some product.? My dogs have NEVER had ticks. She can also infest her own yard. No, Cocoa never comes to my home to visit. My relatiomnship w/sis is actually rather distant. Mostly by phone or emails. We don't visit or hang out together, but we talk. Topic of her view of our parents is forbidden.

Comment

Originally posted by RoosMom View Post
                            Your sister needs to find a new petsitter! I would never endanger my pet's health by allowing them to go somewhere that they pick up ticks.
                            If I felt that way my dogs would never leave my house, except maybe in December and January. I take Whiz to work with me every day, and usually pick a couple of tick off of him before we head home. When he and Oli go out in the yard to potty I have to check them for ticks. And I have to check my head for ticks, too. The little beasties drop out of the trees.

Comment

Originally posted by RoosMom View Post
                              Your sister needs to find a new petsitter! I would never endanger my pet's health by allowing them to go somewhere that they pick up ticks. Doesn't she know about tick fever, lyme disease, etc.? Personally, I don't charge my sister for shaving her dog- but we all, as a family, do favors for each other, so it's just payback. ;-)
                              Or even frontline??? why is that dog not on frontline or advantix? The ticks are horrid around here but come every April my personal dogs and cats all go on frontline. One more barrier those buggers have to go through in my opinion. and if i find a tick on clients pets i suggest some sort of protection.

Comment

Working...
                              X