Can't do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't do

I've been doing this nice little 9yr old Maltese since Oct last year. NEVER had a reason to worry with her until today!! I preclipped her, bathed her and put her in a cage to start drying as I clean up the mess and went to get her out and wham she went nuts...so I take a grabber and put a cage leash on her and coax her out, put her on the table and calm her down...
    {wagging her tail} until I started to brush her and she was all teeth and biting again.This is the first time in many years I couldn't finish a dog. I put her away, and won't do her again.
    After the owner came we looked her over but we couldn't find anything wrong????? Beats me.
    You can NEVER tell if any dog will bite someday, I never seen this one coming.

I would be telling this owner to get her dog to the vet ASAP for tests. Such a drastic behaviour change doesn't just happen for no reason. I hope they get it figured out.

Comment

Plexi.........How long since the last groom? AND.....ask the owner what they did to "help you" with the grooming. Something has changed since the last time you did this dog and there is a reasonable answer.Dogs love routine,that is their life. When something happens to upset their routine,they react.
      If this dog was nice before,something traumatic happened that triggered the change. You must investigate and find out what that change was,if you want to continue to groom this dog.....or as you have depicted,no more.
      just my opinion.

Comment

I agree with Roos.......Something has to be wrong to cause such a change in behavior

Comment

Any time there is a drastic change in an animals behavior it should be evaluated by a vet. Of course, I've had dogs that normally are easy to do that are just having an off day. Getting a bath and cut just were not on the day's agenda, as far as they are concerned. But something that drastic should be evaluated.

Comment

sometimes Maltese are this way, but usually the owner knows something. I had one I groomed for 5 years, before it tried to bite me in the tub. Her mom had always warned of her naughtiness, but she was an angel for the grooming. After that, she would never allow the bath with out a muzzle. It wasn't like i was even doing glands or anything, just scrubbing along and bam!! The owner was funny, she was so glad someone else say her nutzness.

Comment

i used to do this nice male lhasa ( who've thought ) when i worked in a shop. one day he came in and was an absolute horror. when they came to pick him up, i told them about his not normal behavior. it turned out that their house was robbed the day before and the poor little dog was chased and hid under the sofa the entire time. the next time he was his usual pleasant self.
              Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
              "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

I've seen that a couple of times with dogs that were sweethearts for years for their grooms, then just turned nasty. It turned out both dogs were very ill. One was full of cancer ( and only 4 years old), the other one had something wrong with his liver. There's always the possibility too that some kind of upset happened in the dog's environment recently? I dunno...if it were my dog I'd be seeing the vet.

Comment

I did a cocker for years and years that was always wonderful! However one day, we turned the force dryer on, and she freaked. She barked and barked, and kept barking after it was turned off. We can no longer force dry her. She can't even be in the same room as one on. Her owners just attributed it to her old age, but I always thought that it might be a good idea for her to see the vet about it.
                  Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

This really has nothing to do with what happened to your maltese but I'm going to tell the story anyway.

I had done a little mix breed dog for years. The owner always handed her to me and I would either start working on her or put her in a crate. This one day that she came in I was busy with another dog and asked her to put her dog in a crate for me, which she did. When I finished up the other dog I went to get Molly out of the crate, she bit at me. Never had ever done that before. I was able to get her out and groom her. I've put in her crates and taken her out before with no problem before. The only difference this time was that her Mom put her in that crate, and she wasn't coming out!! Now I will take her from her Mom and put her in a crate and I never have had anymore problems with her.

Thanks for letting me share.
                    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                    Diane

Comment

Originally posted by rapuzzled View Post
                      I did a cocker for years and years that was always wonderful! However one day, we turned the force dryer on, and she freaked. She barked and barked, and kept barking after it was turned off. We can no longer force dry her. She can't even be in the same room as one on. Her owners just attributed it to her old age, but I always thought that it might be a good idea for her to see the vet about it.

I've seen a number of elderly dogs who seem to suddenly be unable to cope with an HV. They go into total hysterics, as you described. I don't know what change old age brings about to cause this, but it does seem to be an 'old dog' thing- poor babies!

Comment

Working...
                      X