Skunk solution anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skunk solution anyone?

I know there is a solution of vinegar, baking soda and soap to get rid of skunk odors, but I cant remember the recipie. Does anyone know?
    I had 2 huskies today that really needed it.
    Thanks!

I cheat......

And just Use Spectrum labratories " Safely shampoo" full strength. It's got kind of a mom scrubbing floors with amonia smell and kills skunk smell real well. Best thing I've used in the last 8 years for skunk and dead fish.

Comment

skunked dog

i don't know the recipe that you are asking for but i will tell you what else works are you ready for this womans doush if you go and buy it for two huskys i would buy 4 bottles two per dog mis it like you normally do and but it on let it on for about 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse it off

Comment

1 Qt. Hydrogen Peroxide
        1/4 cup Baking Soda
        1 Tsp Dawn dish detergent
        Mix in OPEN container
        Do Not use on Nose/eyes/ears!!
        Let stand on dog about 10 minutes,rinse well and repeat as needed.

Comment

Ditto on Allans, thats what we use too!

Comment

Ditto on the peroxide mixture. And further instructions on how to use; if the skunk spray is fresh, wipe as much of it off as you can with paper towels or an old rag you don't mind throwing away. Apply to DRY coat. If you wet the coat first, you spread the oil. Also, the hair absorbs the first thing that hits it, and you don't want water to get in the way. You want the peroxide mixture to penetrate the hair shaft as much as possible.

If the dog has already been bathed, you're SOL. Soap and water will spread the oil throughout the coat, and set it in. You can get some of the smell off, but if the dog gets wet again, he's going to have a distinct skunky odor.

They did a segment on MythBusters, testing all of the various methods to remove skunk odor. The peroxide/baking soda mixture was the only one that really worked.

Comment

Question?

After you use the peroxide mixture, do you wash again with reg. shampoo and/ or conditioner too?

Comment

Originally posted by bullylover21 View Post
                After you use the peroxide mixture, do you wash again with reg. shampoo and/ or conditioner too?
                Yep. Be sure to use conditioner, because peroxide can be very drying.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                  They did a segment on MythBusters, testing all of the various methods to remove skunk odor. The peroxide/baking soda mixture was the only one that really worked.

Actually it was the SECOND best--the nasty old tomato juice remedy worked slightly better.

On the Classmates pets board, a woman with GSDs who love to kill skunks uses a similar recipe but substitutes Listerine for the Hydrogen Peroxide. She says it works even better with no risk of bleaching the hair on dark-coated dogs.

I have successfully used Listerine to get anal juice off my clothing; it's the only thing-- short of stripping and completely WASHING the clothing item--that gets that smell out. And since skunk odor is just anal juice with more 'punch" it makes sense.

Comment

I get lots of musty smelling dogs, the kind where they never smell clean no matter how much shampoo you use (no skunk dogs yet!) and I use the peroxide mixture all the time. Works great!

Deanne

Comment

Originally posted by k9stylist1968 View Post
                      Actually it was the SECOND best--the nasty old tomato juice remedy worked slightly better.
                      Not on the segment I watched! Tomato juice doesn't work at all. And there's no reason it should. Unlike the peroxide/baking soda mixture there's nothing in tomato juice to chemically alter the the thiols in skunk spray that are responsible for the odor.

http://www.humboldt.edu/~wfw2/skunkspray.shtml

Oh, and I forgot to mention, if you mix vinegar and baking soda, you'll have a huge mess. It'll foam all over the place.

Comment

Listen to Helly.............Tomato juice is useless,UNLESS>>>>>>>>>>>>
                        You add Vodka,Celery and a touch of Worchstershire!!

Comment

De-Skunk

Hi all. We have found a great solution to skunks! Odor-Handler by Senproco(the Makers of Coat-Handler). We use this after we get them all suds up. Leave on for 30 sec-1 min and all the smell is gone. It is also really great for skin problems and greasy ears
                          Hope this works for you as well as it has for us
                          Thanks
                          Karen
                          The Nautical Dog
                          York, ME

Comment

skunk solution

16 oz hydrogen peroxide, 1/2 cup baking soda, dash of grease cutting dishsoap or good degreasing shampoo-mix in a gallon bottle filled with the rest as water, apply to a dry dog let soak 10 minutes. rinse. saturate dog with white vinegar (watch the eyes!), let soak for 5 minutes, rinse. next, and very important, wash dog with a remoisturizing shampoo and conditioner. good luck!

Comment

Working...
                            X