• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • petgroomer82
    Teacup Member
    • Jan 2007

yay!! I was in the paper over the holiday weekend

There are a few facts in the story that are false/mis-written, but overall its pretty good. I am so excited to see if it helps business at all. Anyway I just thought I would share.
  • milhasavilla
    Standard Member & Club 1,000
    • Jan 2007

Congratulations!! Great article and cute pic. I hope the extra publicity will bring in some more clients. Your Salon sounds FABULOUS! Good luck with it!!

Comment

• GriffonsMOM
      • May 2007

Way To Go!!!!! Congrats!!!

Comment

• neanea
        Champion Member & Club 1,000
        • Jan 2007

Congrats on the free advertising!!!!!

Comment

• RoosMom
          • Feb 2007

Cool! An article in the paper is great free advertising.......... of course, as long as it's a positive article.lol

Comment

• mustluvdogs1
            • Jan 2007

Way To Go

Nothing like the local paper and a good free ad. You're on your way!!!! Looks like a fun business.

Comment

• petgroomer82
              Teacup Member
              • Jan 2007

thanks guys

you really are the greats bunch. I am so excited, I am starting to get really busy today too, lots of walkins just to look in our bakery, and a couple emails asking about our self-service. YAY! I hope it keeps going like this.

Comment

• c.c.
                Miniature Member
                • Jan 2007

How exciting for you and your Mom! Keep us posted about how much business is generated from the article.

Comment

• Allan
                  Miniature Member
                  • Jan 2007

Nice!!

Comment

• SpikeyTheYorkie
                    Best in Show Member & Club 10,000
                    • Jan 2007

I'm not seeing the article. When I click it there's a photo of some guy sitting at his desk, and something about home-selling.

Don't worry about the mistakes in the article, I'm sure they're not going to be a problem. But it sure is the reason I don't trust any media.

They can't even get the most basic facts right, and the only thing they have to do is find out for sure is to look it up on the net, pick up the phone, call somebody---but they don't bother. It's annoying.

Congrats anyhow!

Tammy in Utah
                    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

• RevWind
                      • Jan 2007

I'm guessing they changed the page. The story I read doesn't have anything to do with grooming. I'm sure it was a good story though. congrats.

Comment

• petgroomer82
                        Teacup Member
                        • Jan 2007

Here is the article....

Fookens make days fit for a canine king

By Heather Price /Special to the Tribune

Almost everyone can use a day at the salon. You know, a fresh facial scrub, an aromatherapy treatment, a haircut and - best of all - a fresh, homemade peanut butter treat from the “doggie bakery.”

Doggie bakery? Have salons gone to the dogs?

Well, yes. Now pets can enjoy a day at the spa at Bark Bath and Beyond, Fremont's first pet bakery and self-service dog wash.

Bark Bath and Beyond, located just south of 23rd and Clarkson streets, specializes in self-service pet grooming for those beloved canines and felines. The firm offers basic baths, haircuts and spa packages, Gabrielle Fooken said, to give your pet the best treatment available.

Owned and operated by Fooken and her mother, Robin, Bark bath and Beyond has been open just over a month.

“I think we're doing pretty well so far,” Fooken said. “We've brought in all kinds of people.”

Gabrielle Fooken owns Bark Bath and Beyond with her mother, Robin. They offer a “doggie bakery” as well as self-service pet grooming. - Chris Bristol/Fremont Tribune

Pets have been an important part of the Fooken family for many years, she said. They've showed their dogs - bearded collies and a Newfoundland - all over the country.

Fooken graduated from the Florida Institute of Animal Arts in 2004 before buying Groomer on the Go, a mobile pet grooming service in Orlando.

The mobile pet service brought in a lot of snowbirds and was busy, Fooken said, but she decided to move back to Fremont in December 2005 to be closer to her family.

“It's rewarding getting to know your clientele,” Fooken said. “We have more regulars here, so I get to develop relationships with both the owner and the pet.”

One thing that makes Bark Bath and Beyond different from other pet salons is the “doggie bakery,” Fooken said. All special treats are homemade and all-natural, she said.

Specialty cookies include honey, chocolate and peanut butter, a popular favorite. The bakery also makes frosted football helmet treats in the fall and birthday cakes that can be special-ordered online.

Fooken said she got the idea of the pet bakery while she was in working in Orlando.

“One of my clients owned a bakery close to my home,” Fooken said. “My dogs really liked the treats.”

Fooken said she takes the sugar and other harmful ingredients out of the treats and replaces them with vegan supplements, like carob, to make them both safe and tasty.

Fooken said these special treats are popular in bigger cities, but there's nothing like it in the Midwest yet.

Bark Bath and Beyond also sells retails items for pets, Fooken said, such as leashes, figurines and pet urns.

The grooming service provides a self-service dog wash if customers want to give their pet a bath. The company provides the towels, shampoo and everything else needed, Fooken said, and cleans up the mess.

Fooken said she hopes business will increase as its services become better known.

Bark Bath and Beyond has done some advertising that has helped with customer flow, Fooken said.

“We sold out of cookies that day,” she said.

Heather Price is a student with the College of Journalism at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln

While I have several issues with this article, the major one is about us using chocolate in our cookies....I am so mad, I know what chocolate can do to dogs, I have never used it and never will, I told the girl this when she interviewed me. I even gave her one of our brochures which says all of these things too. ugghh. I just dont know if it will hurt my business or if my little hick town people even know the difference. I guess I will call the paper today and see what they can do. On one hand its free advertising but on the other this could hurt me right?

Comment

• SpikeyTheYorkie
                          Best in Show Member & Club 10,000
                          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by petgroomer82 View Post
                          Fookens make days fit for a canine king

By Heather Price /Special to the Tribune

Almost everyone can use a day at the salon. You know, a fresh facial scrub, an aromatherapy treatment, a haircut and - best of all - a fresh, homemade peanut butter treat from the “doggie bakery.”

Doggie bakery? Have salons gone to the dogs?

Well, yes. Now pets can enjoy a day at the spa at Bark Bath and Beyond, Fremont's first pet bakery and self-service dog wash.

Bark Bath and Beyond, located just south of 23rd and Clarkson streets, specializes in self-service pet grooming for those beloved canines and felines. The firm offers basic baths, haircuts and spa packages, Gabrielle Fooken said, to give your pet the best treatment available.

Owned and operated by Fooken and her mother, Robin, Bark bath and Beyond has been open just over a month.

“I think we're doing pretty well so far,” Fooken said. “We've brought in all kinds of people.”

Gabrielle Fooken owns Bark Bath and Beyond with her mother, Robin. They offer a “doggie bakery” as well as self-service pet grooming. - Chris Bristol/Fremont Tribune

Pets have been an important part of the Fooken family for many years, she said. They've showed their dogs - bearded collies and a Newfoundland - all over the country.

Fooken graduated from the Florida Institute of Animal Arts in 2004 before buying Groomer on the Go, a mobile pet grooming service in Orlando.

The mobile pet service brought in a lot of snowbirds and was busy, Fooken said, but she decided to move back to Fremont in December 2005 to be closer to her family.

“It's rewarding getting to know your clientele,” Fooken said. “We have more regulars here, so I get to develop relationships with both the owner and the pet.”

One thing that makes Bark Bath and Beyond different from other pet salons is the “doggie bakery,” Fooken said. All special treats are homemade and all-natural, she said.

Specialty cookies include honey, chocolate and peanut butter, a popular favorite. The bakery also makes frosted football helmet treats in the fall and birthday cakes that can be special-ordered online.

Fooken said she got the idea of the pet bakery while she was in working in Orlando.

“One of my clients owned a bakery close to my home,” Fooken said. “My dogs really liked the treats.”

Fooken said she takes the sugar and other harmful ingredients out of the treats and replaces them with vegan supplements, like carob, to make them both safe and tasty.

Fooken said these special treats are popular in bigger cities, but there's nothing like it in the Midwest yet.

Bark Bath and Beyond also sells retails items for pets, Fooken said, such as leashes, figurines and pet urns.

The grooming service provides a self-service dog wash if customers want to give their pet a bath. The company provides the towels, shampoo and everything else needed, Fooken said, and cleans up the mess.

Fooken said she hopes business will increase as its services become better known.

Bark Bath and Beyond has done some advertising that has helped with customer flow, Fooken said.

“We sold out of cookies that day,” she said.

Heather Price is a student with the College of Journalism at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln

While I have several issues with this article, the major one is about us using chocolate in our cookies....I am so mad, I know what chocolate can do to dogs, I have never used it and never will, I told the girl this when she interviewed me. I even gave her one of our brochures which says all of these things too. ugghh. I just dont know if it will hurt my business or if my little hick town people even know the difference. I guess I will call the paper today and see what they can do. On one hand its free advertising but on the other this could hurt me right?
                          Well, I saw that about the chocolate, but I also noticed that you use "carob" instead, I knew it was probably your replacement for the chocolate...

I'm sorry they did that, it sort of rains on your parade, huh? When I was in high school our high school newspaper had a HUGE photo of me doing what is called a "needle" in gymnastics: Standing with one foot on the ground, the other straight up in the air in the splits. The caption said "Tammy Hanson." That was NOT my name! It was Tammy Johnson! I was a little disappointed. The photo was way cool though!

Tammy in Utah
                          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Working...
                          X