Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft Paws on dogs...

Hi!!

I was talking with my little sister last night and we got into the subject of 'soft paws'. I did a search but couldn't find an answer to her question.

She has mini schnauzers and dislike hearing the 'click click' sound from their nails on the wood floor and wonders if 'soft paws' would stop the nail clicking sound.

Anyone can answer this for me, I would appreciate! Thanks!

I think they are called soft claws. try that
    What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

I put them on my puli once...

The shop that I work at was considering selling them to clients and offering the service of applying them. They worked great and did not seem to bother Pippin at all, but when I took them off after 2 weeks, his nails were soft and unhealthy.

Kat
      www.dogmadogspa.com

Comment

it would defiantly help, probably not totally make the clicking disappear. They are a beast to get off though. How old is the schn??

Comment

Trim them down! NEVER ever use soft claws, i tried them on my dog couple years ago cause she hated having her nails cut. they basically super glue over the nail and when it comes time to take them off the nails break, the nail ends up funky gunky and nasty. the long term damage to the nails is not worth it.

Comment

i used to put them on a dog that i did all the time. a weimeraner. they wanted them because the dog jumped on everyone. i thought, well teach the dog to stop jumping. a novel concept. if she keeps the dogs nails clipped regularly so that she can keep them short, they shouldn't tap. and grind the ends. if they are grown out too long, she would have to take him to the vet to have them hacked way back......i just don't think that covering up the nail with glue and a soft claw is healthy for the dogs nails.

Comment

Wow! I didn't realise they would be this bad as they are so popular on cats. I know dog nails are different them cats although didn't think they would do such damage on their nails.

I've read somewhere people use nail polish remover to remove them.

Those who have removed them...how do you usually remove them? cut the tip and peel it out? Could the damage be from the way people remove them? I'm not wanting to point finger at anyone here, I'm just curious about them so I can give my sister all the info on them.

She has 3 schnauzers 3 yrs, 2 yrs and 10 months old.

and luvpups....you're right, they are called Soft Claws

Comment

actually, when i used to use them, it said you can just leave them on until the nail grows and then just clip them off. any way you do it, it is not healthy for the nail...back in the day when my mom used to use those press on nails that you would glue over your entire nail...she got such a bad fungus.the doc told her not to use that ****. no good for your nails.

Comment

I have caps on both my big dogs

I've never had a problem I also cap all 5 of my cats because i think declawing is in humane......I think maybe someone used way too much glue when applying them if the glue ruined the dogs nails. You only put glue into the tip of the cap so that when the nail starts growing and the cap starts to show it's slipping off , you trim the tip of the nail where the glue is and the rest of the cap slips right off! I have several dogs who i put the caps on because owner don't want scratches in their hard wood floors or scratches from nails when a dog climbs on them or jumps on them, not to mention they can be stylish with the different colors!

here's the link for their site on the internet if you were interested Minou
                  http://www.softpaws.net/

Comment

I did not use too much glue and had absolutely no problem clipping the nails and having the caps slide right off, but my dogs nails were definately damaged. They did look really cute with the bright color sticking out of his jet black coat, and I was disappointed when I saw how soft his nails had become, they did harden up in a day, but I did not risk them being worse the next time.

Kat
                    www.dogmadogspa.com

Comment

I use soft claws on one of my cats. I leave them on for four weeks, then I cut them off. Her nails look and feel fine. I usually wait a day to reapply them, because she only sits still for so long.

Comment

never had a problem

I use them on my shepherd and Ive never had a problem with them. In the shop I worked in before this one, I was taught when you remove them you take your nail clipper and gently cut down a strip from the top of the nail near the nail bed to the tip of the nail, basically opening up one side of the soft claw, then that generally loosens up the glue enough and they pop right off. You should only fill them up halfway with glue when applying them. They last about a month, and usually by then she'd have most of them chewed off. Her nails always look fine when they come off. I never use the colored ones, just the clear ones because the colored ones do leave marks. One time she was in the bedroom and the door was closed and she pawed the door to want out and she left black marks on the door. So I just use the clear ones now. Havent used them for a while though, havent had the time to put them on!

Comment

i have nothing to say about the soft claws...just if she dosnt want to hear the clicking sound then file the nails back shorter. i know my dogs nails were almost at the length i needed them to be at so i couldnt hear him clicking on the floor then i didnt file his nails for about 3 wks (bad me!) so they grew longer again. as for cat nails...i personally wouldnt use them on cats nails...declawing IS very inhumane...i really dont see what the big deal is about just trimming the cats nails. its takes about 2 mins and then its done!
                          it seems to me it would take longer to stick something onto a cats nail than it would just to trim the ends off.
                          JMHO
                          also if your worried about your furniture being scratched up....make sure you have ample space for your cat to scratch on...something big. my cat dosnt like to scratch vertically. hes a horizontal scratcher so i had a old melamine rat cage (used to be a double decker snake cage), that we transformed into his *house* and it has carpeting on top and on both sides. so now he leaves the stairs alone!
                          Hound

Comment

I've used them on both my beagles. Never had a problem. There nails were just fine, and they came off pretty easily. I just clip the tip off, them peel. I don't use them anymore because I don't have patience to do it and end up with glue everywhere, lol. It does help with the click, not completely though depending on how long the nails are. Oh, also, Just fill the cap maybe 1/3 of the way, you don't need a lot of glue.
                            Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

you know what i did for my cats that really works great. i have parsons chairs at my dining table (fully uphostered chairs) they wouldn't bother anything but those chair legs. well, here in Fl. if you go into those high end furniture stores you'll pay a premium for chairs with the natural look. they make the legs with palm leaves (they weave them). so anyway, i took sisal rope that you can buy very inexpensively and wrapped all the legs of the chairs.then i stained the rope a dark bombay color stain. now they look very high end, and the cats can go to town and they can't hurt them. and i also cut their nails at least bi-weekly. of course you could get those big clunky sisal wrapped cat trees, but i didn't want that in my house. i would do that before i would ever put the soft claws on them or declaw. it's just not a big deal to me to make sure their nails are cut.

Comment

Working...
                              X