Started a new job :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started a new job :(

But when the first thing you hear is " You better not be stealing any of our dogs!" it doesn't seem so great. It doesn't seem like i'll be getting along with any of these girls. I thought people were nicer down south! I've never worked with such complainers and angry people....Maybe it will change Most of the people complain about paychecks and how they don't get enough money. These girls can only do 4-5 dogs a day and complain about it. 4-5 a day is good and the money isn't that bad!

Good luck

It's hard to keep a positive attitude with people like that. Sounds like the place I left. I did good at ignoring them for a while but it finally got the best of me.

Don't let them get to you and keep your ears and eyes open for something more suitable and positive.

There's a lot of strange employers and employees in this grooming business and finding the right match on both ends seems to be difficult.

The thing I find funny is that even though a lot of owners of small shops learned from someone else and then opened their own business they are angry and resentful that anyone they hire may have the same thing in mind.

Nothing like being a little supportive because you were once in the same prediciment. I don't get all the attitude sometimes as long as you are a good and reliable employee that should be enough.

Comment

Where in the south are you at?
      I started at a boarding kennel about 5 years ago. There were 2 other groomers, whose choice it was to do 5 dogs each so they could go home at noon. My choice was to be there all day, as I guess I had more bills to pay than they did! LOL! At first I was doing about 6 a day, then kept bumping it up as I got faster (I had been out of grooming for about 6 years) I ended up doing 12 dogs a day (about half that were bath dogs) and they still did 5. When they couldn't get "thier" clients in, the receptionist would ask the client if it was ok with them if Deanne did the dog instead. Most said sure, and after that they became my clients cuz they liked the way I did the dog better!
      The other 2 groomers ended up quitting. I just kept my mouth shut the entire time I was there. You know, let it go in one ear and out the other. I'm good at that and it drives my hubby nuts!

Deanne

Comment

I honestly don't understand peoples attitudes, but maybe I'm just a different type of person. The groomer that trained me was fully aware of what my intentions were and was more then happy to be the one to "teach me". When I felt ready to go out on my own, she wished me the best of luck. She also told me from the get go "if your clients are happy with you, they won't go elsewhere. If they are not, then they need to find somebody they ARE happy with". I guess her attitude rubbed off on me, because I feel the same way. If somebody can "steal" my clients, then my clients were obviously not fully satisfied with my grooming anyway.

Now that I think about it, being afraid of having another groomer "steal" clients sounds more like a case of insecurity to me.

Comment

Originally posted by scrubapup View Post
          I honestly don't understand peoples attitudes, but maybe I'm just a different type of person. The groomer that trained me was fully aware of what my intentions were and was more then happy to be the one to "teach me". When I felt ready to go out on my own, she wished me the best of luck. She also told me from the get go "if your clients are happy with you, they won't go elsewhere. If they are not, then they need to find somebody they ARE happy with". I guess her attitude rubbed off on me, because I feel the same way. If somebody can "steal" my clients, then my clients were obviously not fully satisfied with my grooming anyway.

Now that I think about it, being afraid of having another groomer "steal" clients sounds more like a case of insecurity to me.

My first thought exactly was - So your clients arn't happy with your work or attitude so they'd like me is what your saying.
          I'm afraid i'm too much of a happy person who is confident in her work

Comment

I know exactly what you mean. I had 2 job offers for the same area, same money, and the one grooming with a bather and one was with out a bather. I choose the one with out a bather, without any other groomers and the one where I liked everyone I would be working with from right off the bat. The 2nd job was a place that was always known to be a hard place to work, hard "women" to work with, and I just knew I would not be happy somewhere like that. I was told not to tell the other groomers how much I made. I was told the "rules" I was told what was expected of me. I told myself I don't like being "told" what to do lol. So I knew I better not take that job. The job I took said, I could make the rules, the prices, what ever I wanted as long as the clients were happy. That was my job to keep the clients happy. No prob so far lol. I love being the only groomer. Stealing dogs was a problem where I worked before. When it is slim pickins it is amazing how dirty some people will get. Just be sure to CYA cover your a$$. Don't trust anyone at first ,by just keeping comments to yourself. True colors will come out eventually.

Comment

It has nothing to do with the South :-) You can come to our shop and we are generally a happy lot, they all get along and most are friends outside of work.

as far as stealing dogs...

That is why employee set-up works GREAT! This way all of the dogs belong to the owner!

Comment

Working...
              X