I have a bleeding heart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a bleeding heart

My 9 year old daughter was attacked by my neighbors dog today! This is a tough post for me to write at this point,I have been strong and not let my emotions get the best of me.As of now my composure (SP,?) is about gone.My childs leg was treated like beef jerky by a dog who is a known fellon,but w/out a record.I get along well with these folks,for the past 12 years;but am afraid it will soon end as they really do not want to accept any responsibility for this.I guess besides wanting to vent,is I would like to know what to do.I really would like to try to salvage our relationship,but this was more than just a bite!I feel so sick about this,in fact I can't post more because I cant see beyond my tears right now.

Oh My Heavens!

I am SOOOOOO Sorry! The Animal control will get involved after the doctors' report. They are totally responsible and the A. control will deal with them and get them to show rabies proof. I know a little bite can throb. I hope your daughter will heal quickly and not be in pain for long. I don't know what to say except how sorry I am. These people need to show concern for your daughter.

Comment

OH

I am so sorry this has happened to your baby and all of you, a terrible experience, I can only imagine.

Please let us know how she is doing, and keep posting, you have got to
      be so upset. I pray she is healing and the injuries both physical and emotional
      are healing as we speak. Please let us all know how she is doing.

Comment

OMG! I hope she will be ok. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. It's bad enough that your little girl has been injured, you shouldn't have to be worring about these neighbors.

Comment

If it were me and they put my kid in danger by being an irrisponsable pet owner there would be no relationship. I really hope your daughter is ok and is not phycologically damaged by this. My prayers are with you. There is no excuse for letting a dangerous dog to be in an uncontrolled situation. I hope you push for this dog to be put down.
          If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I am so sorry you and your daughter have had this experience. It is so frightening for a child to experience any type of trauma, and dog bites are one of the more frightening types of trauma.

I am assuming you took your daughter to the ER. If not, do so, even if the bite wounds don't seem serious. The ER doctor will report the bite to the appropriate officials, and that will take that responsibility out of your hands.

You didn't mention where or how the attack happened. Was your daughter in your yard, on the sidewalk, or in the neighbor's yard? That can make a big difference, in regards to your legal possition. Was the attack provoked or unprovoked? That also makes a big difference.

But, no matter where the attack happened, your neighbor is responsible for any unreimbursed medical bills, including any therapy your daughter may need to resolve her feelings about the attack. If they aren't willing to accept responsibility and pony up the $$, I'd let a judge accept responsibility for them, if you know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggone View Post
              My 9 year old daughter was attacked by my neighbors dog today! This is a tough post for me to write at this point,I have been strong and not let my emotions get the best of me.As of now my composure (SP,?) is about gone.My childs leg was treated like beef jerky by a dog who is a known fellon,but w/out a record.I get along well with these folks,for the past 12 years;but am afraid it will soon end as they really do not want to accept any responsibility for this.I guess besides wanting to vent,is I would like to know what to do.I really would like to try to salvage our relationship,but this was more than just a bite!I feel so sick about this,in fact I can't post more because I cant see beyond my tears right now.
              I am sorry to hear this. I hope your daughter is doing alright today. Has animal control been contacted and a formal complaint been made. It is the dog owners responsibility to keep their dogs confined. Especially one that is anything less than friendly. Also, is this dog current on vaccines? This is a danger to anyone in the neighborhood, and this can not be allowed to happen again. I understand you not wanting conflict with your neighbor, but as a mother, you know your biggest concern is to your child. Simply put, you are not to blame for this...it is the irresponsible neighbors fault. If this is not taken care of , unfortunatly, it will happen again , and possibly be alot worse. My heart goes out to you and your daughter. Give her a big hug from us all. Please let us know how she is doing.

Comment

In most states the doctor treating ANY bite is required by law to report it to animal control. Just put it all in his lap. Your neighbor is 100% responsible for this, and their home owner's insurance should pay for your daughter's medical expenses. Once the police report is filed, there won't be much for the insurance company to dispute.

Comment

they aren't good pet owners if they can't take responsibility for their pets actions, hell they aren't good humans if they can't accept that THEIR UNRESTRAINED pet did that much damage to a child! First off, the hospital is required to report dog bites which have to be investigated. Now depeding upon your area, charges may be filed whether or not you agree to have them charged. Either way, the dog now has a record. If the damage is severe enough the dog may be required to be euthanized for the safety of others as if severe enough the dog isn't given a second chance. I would report it myself even knowing that the doctor is supposed to.
                  My own dogs bit a young 14 yr old girl last year and though the bite was minor (puncture and release play bite as animal control informed me) (I was taking the dogs from my car to the house -out in the country- and never noticed the girl jogging down the road) "I" had to insist that they take the girl to the ER for antibiotics and to have it looked at. "I" did make sure to report it myself as well as knowing the Dr would have to do so. "I" paid all of the bills presented to me even though I never did get any reciepts or even see actual bills. (I saw estimates) Then 6 months later my friends homeowner's insurance is being sued over the incident. (I had been housesitting for a friend at the time of the incident) "I" couldn't have felt worse about the bite and was even willing to put down the dog that did it, but since the girl was saying one dog when I knew I only seen another dog near her and she later stated she wasn't sure which one actually bit her, I couldn't put any down as I wasn't going to risk destroying the wrong dog. (there were 4 of my dogs that chased her) The animal control officer was the one that calmed me down and assured me that my dogs did nothing aggressive in nature but being herding dogs, nipped at a running object. I still feel horrible, but also feel I did everything I could to take responsibility. I can't imagine anyone feeling right not about themselves for not taking responsibility.

Also, if the dog was known to be aggressive, why did no one report him sooner? If he was regularly loose, that alone should have been reported.

Comment

My opinion, being on both sides of the fence....

You should do what is best for you and your daughter. I have one of those dogs, the dog who guards property and kids(on his own accord mind you , I did not teach him to do this). I know I try my best to keep my dog out of situations where he could get " into trouble" but I also know I am prepared in any event that something does happen. Honestly if this dog is known to have aggression issues your neighbors should have foreseen the possibility of this day coming. Especially if it is their own little neighbor girl whom they've basically seen grow up. Their home owners insurance and/or even renters insurance should cover the medical bills ....and yeah they may lose pet damage coverage after this incident but it is their resposnibility. I don't know about individual state laws, but I do know here in MN most often times even if the dog is antagonized ( and I am in no way saying your daughter antagonized) the owner of the dog is still liable for any medical bills.
                    Here in Mn also it's usually three stikes before euthanization, second requires public muzzeling.(Griffon is a one striker..but i paid all medical bills and now I make him wear a basket muzzle when we are out and about even though he's not been ordered to wear one, it a precaution I have taken to help him. And honestly he doesn't mind it a bit , he actually gets happy when the muzzle comes out.)
                    I don't know about where you live but I would assume that since this is the first "felon" offense that legally the dog won't be in much trouble....but I also second guess that statement because of the severity of the attack. I guess it all depends on what you want to see happen.
                    The relationship me be strained , may even end for a time , but if they are decent people I'm sure in time they will see you and your daughter were the victim in this case and it was their moral and legal right to do their part. Every relationship..from friends to neighbors goes through rough patches , hopefully this one will work itself out , if not you still need to do what's in yours and your daughter's best interest.

Comment

Oh, I'm so very sorry for you and your daughter. How old is your daughter? Why won't they take responsibility for what their dog did? That just makes me so upset, some pet owners shouldn't be pet owners. Did you call animal control, or the police and make a report?
                      Keep us updated on how your daughter is doing. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time.
                      "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                      Diane

Comment

I'm so sorry this happened to your daughter.
                        On the legal side, did you take your daughter to the hospital or doctor? If so, by law they have to fill out a bite report. It's then out of your hands.
                        IF the neighbors won't take responsiblity, you really don't want them as friends do you?
                        Again, Im sorry this happened to your daugher and I hope she recovers soon.

Comment

Doggone, I'm so sorry this happened to your family. Please take care of yourselves and keep us posted on how your daughter is recovering.

Comment

Everyone has given you such great advice, so I just wanted to add my bleeding heart with yours.

May God heal your heart, mind and your Daughters scars.

Comment

Isch. I'm sorry that happened to your daughter.

We had a similar experience quite a few years ago with our next door neighbor. They had a Lab that wasn't wired right, and after attacking our miniature poodle (in OUR yard) on three different occasions, he finally decided my daughters arm looked tastier. To make a long story short, my husband humiliated the neighbor a little bit in front of the entire neighborhood, and the next day Bud the psycho lab was put down. The bite wasn't bad. He drew blood, but stitches were not required. We figured since Bud was history and no longer a threat to anyone in the neighborhood, why make waves and cause more problems? Afterall - we're neighbors, right? Well, that and the neighbor is also my husbands cousin so that made things even more tricky. So we just dropped it and went on with every day life as usual. But in the end, it was all OUR fault. We were big meaniepantzers and the neighbors wouldn't speak to us for almost 5 years. LOL!!

I almost lost a wink or two over it.

Anywho - I hope your daughter is ok and I'm sorry this happened.

Comment

Working...
                              X