Pregnancy and grooming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnancy and grooming?

Hey ladies...I am almost 25 weeks pregnant and I was wondering how long I can realistically expect to continue to work. I would like to work up untill the last minute but I am already noticing trouble bending down and getting tired real easy. Anyone been pregnant while grooming? I know that the lifting restrictions are a problem but my doctor says to just not strain. Also when should I be able to come back to work? Thanks for your time!

I wasnt pregnat at the same time I groomed but I did work in a kennel during my first tri mester and Id get tired easily and of course moring sickness made it hard
    They didnt let me walk dogs or go in the cat room. Its possibley harmful to the fetus to clean or even get tpo close to cat boxes so dont. Id say as long as you have help and dont lift or struggle to much you should be ok it good to be active during your pregnacy. also dont reach up high to get things out of cubards ect.. have some do that for you. as afterwards your looking at at least a month. until your month post pregnacy exam and it depends on how your labor went natural birth or c-section. So Congats on your pregnacy Oh is this your first? Stay health and get rest cause after the babies born good luck But sometimes your lucky and the baby will sleep for longer than 3 hours at a time.

Comment

thanks

Yes, it is my first! I do know about the cat boxes, I have 5 cats at home! My doctor pretty much told me as long as there is no complications I can do what I did before I was pregnant as long as I feel up to it. I just wasnt sure how well I am going to be able to groom with a basketball infront of me. ha ha ha. Or how well Ill be able to control bigger dogs... thanks for the response!

Comment

I was grooming when I was pregnant. All 3 times I groomed up to the very day I had the little 2 legged monster!

Comment

I just had my 2nd in Feb. I was having a scheduled c-section, so it was a little easier to plan when I would be gone. I worked up until a week before I had the baby. I was planning on working til the day before, but I really wanted to have a week off to rest before I wasn't able to get any sleep lol

I had my sister and niece do all the heavy lifting. I really didn't slow down too much.
          I went back to work 3 weeks after my c-section and did 3 dogs, then came back "officailly" a week after that. If it weren't for my hubby telling me no, I would have been back to work sooner..I felt great! . Now with my first son and the c-section..I was sore for a long time.

Everyone is different, every pregnancy is different. Just don't do any heavy lifting, stay away from chemicals, and just take it easy. It's good to stay active, just don't overdue it.

Oh...CONGRATS!!

Comment

With the first one I drove my employees nuts..."can you put this dog in the tub...on the table...whatever?" But I groomed until I was a week late for labor and was finally induced.With number 2 I groomed until the day before., and with 3 I groomed until about the same! Went back to work when the baby was a month old, but left at lunch to nurse (she was a couple doors down from the shop). I was grooming from home when 2 & 3 were born.

Comment

I have 2 kids and with both I worked up until my due date with the first, and I worked the Friday before I went into labor on Sat. I did not lift any dog over 40 lbs but now doctors are saying that if your body is used to lifting more weight then you should be fine to continue lifting that amount of weight. But why risk it is my motto. I had a schnauzer jump off my belly into it's cage and thought for sure my child would have brain damage but she turned out to be just fine....I think lol. As fine as a 7 yr old with an attitude can be. If you are tired it is normal. Try cutting back the amount of work you do until that stage passes. Make sure you are eating lots of iron rich foods and protein. That will help with your energy level.
              I went back to work after 5 weeks and 4 weeks with 2nd. But just because I wanted to spend as much time as I could afford to with my new baby.

Comment

I think that it would depend on you andyour body as everyone is different. You yourself will learn your limits as you go. I dont think it is bad to groom while pregnant. But I think oncle it feels like to much you should stop as you dont want to hurt yourself or the new baby. As for how long you should take off after the baby again it is up to you. I think its nice to take some time off at least to get yourself and the baby settled. Some people go back to work the same week. I think it all depends once again on the person.

Comment

I didn't groom while I was pregnant, but like others have pointed out, everyone is different, and even every pregnancy is different. The important thing is to listen to your body, and listen to your doctor.

When I was pregnant with #1, I did everything and anything, no problems. I worked in my garden, I pitched out horse stalls, I rode horses, nothing slowed me down much, not even my terminal morning sickness.

With #2, it was a whole 'nother ball game. No gardening, no horses. I was pretty much confined to bed for the last 6 weeks. Everything turned out fine, but it was a difficult pregnancy.

A note about the cat boxes. The problem is toxoplasma, a parasite that can damage the developing fetus. You can have a titer test to see if you are immune, and titer tests on your cats to see if they're clear if you aren't. If the titer test shows you have immunity, you have nothing to worry about. If you don't have immunity, it's best to stay clear of client cats until after you deliver.

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you!!

Lol, sounds like me about this time last year. I was so freaked out when I learned I was prego (totally by accident) and only 3 months into my own shop's opening. I groomed until the day before my water broke. Had dogs scheduled the day I gave birth (course I didn't groom them, but was planning to!). The lest trimester was NOT fun! I did everything I had been doing, still did the big dogs, just had them put their front paws on the tub/table and then boosted them. Towards the end I tried to keep it to regulars, but that wasn't a rule. I do have to admit that I cried that last day from work and it was awful...course I did 2 stds, a huge wheaten mix and 5 other dogs, so that didn't help. If you can take a week off before your due, that'd help a lot, but it's certainly doable to work right up to...without complications of course.

I also groomed cats throughout. I, too, have 5 at home and was very comfortable with them, and only did ones I knew and was comfortable with. Doc told me same thing do what you were doing before as long as you feel ok.

I went back to work part time 3 wks after she was born, and full time 2 wks after that. It's doable. If I didn't work for myself, yeah, I would've taken a lot more time off, but I don't have that option.

If you go back to the old board and do a search, a lot of people gave me some great advice...it would've been in January '06, probably in the Off Topic forum. Also please PM me if you have ANY questions. I LOVE being a mom now, and can't wait for 10 more, lol! One more thing, get the book On Becoming Babywise, you'll thank me later...trust me!!!!
                    Erin
                    No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

Guilty

The first time I was pregnant I worked until the day before I had her. On Thursday, I worked 10 hours and I was 38 weeks pregnant. I was planning on working Friday, but my water broke at at Midnight and I delivered my 5 lbs 6 oz baby girl. I felt so guilty that I had scheduled clients for Friday and I no showed.
                      The second time, I was severely diabetic and was giving myself 4 shots a day of insulin. So I took it easier and only worked until my scheduled induction at 38 weeks. I worked on Monday and took 3 days off before the induction I delivered a 5 lb 4 oz baby girl on Friday.
                      I realize I might be slightly work obsessed, because I only took 6 weeks off for both births and I felt terribly guilty for not doing something. I felt lazy and useless and couldn't wait to get out of the house and back to work.
                      Don't get me wrong, I love my daughters, but sometimes it's less stressful to groom than to constantly worry about the constant needs of infants and toddlers.

Comment

Congratulations!!! Just wanted to say that.

When I was having babies (youngest is now 27) I wasn't grooming, so I don't have any advise for you. But there are plenty on here that have already given and will be giving you advise.
                        "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                        Diane

Comment

Hey Sister!

I am also 25 weeks pregnant with my first! Super excited! My huband and I work together and he is totally stoked. He keeps telling clients "I would like to introduce you to the Heir of The Barking Lot Empire!" while he hugs my tummy. My mom was a groomer and groomed till delivery with me. I am planning to groom as long as I feel comfortable since I am healthy and fit. As the owners we have a little more control over our day, that makes it easier. The only thing we weren't counting on is our lead employee found out she was pregnant also and is just 3 weeks behind my due date. Our baby was planned and we had hopes our lead would cover the downtime, but now I am hustling to hire and train 3 new people to replace her and me. I might be being hopeful that we can cover these hours with only 3 new hires! I am planning on working pt after baby comes, but I don't know how our employee will do. She says she wants to come back, but with new mommyhood you never know!

Audrey

Comment

Originally posted by ejmj30 View Post
                            Lol, sounds like me about this time last year. I was so freaked out when I learned I was prego (totally by accident) and only 3 months into my own shop's opening. I groomed until the day before my water broke. Had dogs scheduled the day I gave birth (course I didn't groom them, but was planning to!). The lest trimester was NOT fun! I did everything I had been doing, still did the big dogs, just had them put their front paws on the tub/table and then boosted them. Towards the end I tried to keep it to regulars, but that wasn't a rule. I do have to admit that I cried that last day from work and it was awful...course I did 2 stds, a huge wheaten mix and 5 other dogs, so that didn't help. If you can take a week off before your due, that'd help a lot, but it's certainly doable to work right up to...without complications of course.

I also groomed cats throughout. I, too, have 5 at home and was very comfortable with them, and only did ones I knew and was comfortable with. Doc told me same thing do what you were doing before as long as you feel ok.

I went back to work part time 3 wks after she was born, and full time 2 wks after that. It's doable. If I didn't work for myself, yeah, I would've taken a lot more time off, but I don't have that option.

If you go back to the old board and do a search, a lot of people gave me some great advice...it would've been in January '06, probably in the Off Topic forum. Also please PM me if you have ANY questions. I LOVE being a mom now, and can't wait for 10 more, lol! One more thing, get the book On Becoming Babywise, you'll thank me later...trust me!!!!
                            Lol Erin, as soon as I read this post I thought of you. And by the way...I think I'm pregnant too : ) I haven't taken the test yet but I'm 2 weeks late and have been feeling sick and tired. I'm still not sure but I'm pretty sure. Lol that was the worst sentence ever.

Comment

Working...
                            X