30% ??? i was insulted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30% ??? i was insulted

Had a lady offer me a job this week and i was insulted. she offered me 30%, i supply my hand tools and she supply the shampoo bather etc. the Avg dog price is $40 at 7-10 a day. i know i've only been out of school since Aug but come on thats crazy. I think 40% wouldn't be to bad but who could live on somthing like that.

Does that include health insurance? No way would I groom for that.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I could see it if she supplied all the tools/equipment, health insurance, workers comp, etc. Actually the book from problems to profits says that's about the right % for groomers to get paid if there is all this other stuff supplied.. but it only works if the schedule isn't full of OAYs and if the average groom is a reasonable amount... and if there are enough dogs that there aren't any days where the groomer doesn't bring home anything (well.. FPTP actually says it's a salary income.. so..).

I definitely can say you probably did ok turning them down. If you otherwise liked the salon, and can't find anything better.. you could try to negotiate.. but otherwise.. seeya!

Comment

Id be insulted too. Dont accept anything less than what you are worth.

Comment

Well, if you do 10 at $40, 30 percent would be $120. At 5 days a week, that would be 600 before taxes. If there's a bather and benefits, it could be a good starting point. I assume you would make a larger percentage as you gain experience.

Comment

I only made 35% at the first place I worked but they had someone work side by side with me for 3 months and we had bathers and brushers to make the job easier the top percent at that employer would have been 45% which I though more than fair with all the help you got, you could do more dogs per day.

I supplied all my own equqipment and upkeep of blades, scissors, etc.

Comment

well, in your pm you said if I weren't 2 hours away, you would be on top of that!! its worth the drive! heheeheh (speaking of my offer of course!)

Comment

as fare as i know it was a straight 30% nothing extra or at lest she didn't mention it, only perks she pushed was she had shampoo and a bather, i'm not picky if there was some benefits to it it would of been a good starting point. i'm not looking to get rich but i didn't pay for school to start out working for nothing. her dogs started out at 30 but she said they avg $40 and 7 -10 dogs a day so on the low end of it 7 dogs a [email protected] $30 30% would give me $315 a week? that wouldn't cover my loan payment for NASH
                =0( anyone got an inside source for Petsmart? lol i wished they would call me back .....

Comment

Don't do it, that's not a good deal. If it came with a lot more perks, it might be worth it, but 30% straight commission for a $40 dog is $12!!! I hope you can do them in 30 minutes or less!

If the prices were at say, $80, then 30% might be more in the money, but this isn't the case. Go work for Hairdevil.

Tammy in Utah
                  Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Working...
                  X