Dry, Itchy Hands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry, Itchy Hands?

This is a question or actually a cry for help to see if anyone has some suggestions on how to help "housewives eczema". My hands get so dry and red sometimes they actually split and crack. I know its a reaction from bathing because when Im off of work for a couple days my hands get better. I have gone so far as to only use oatmeal shampoo on my dogs and have a co worker do any flea baths for me. I have used gloves b4 but that becomes a problem making sure the dogs are completely rinsed and as soon as I go back to just my hands they become flammed again.
    Does anyone else have this problem? If so any suggestions?? I would greatly appreciate it!!!

You can add all the hand cream you want, but once your skin is dead, it can't be...uh...resurrected. At least not at this time, lol.

So what I do is take OFF that dead skin by using Bath & Body Works Sugar Scrub. I scrub really well with this to slough off the dead skin, and then I rinse well, and then add a nice hand cream. Here in Utah we have a brand called "Stevens" and it is actually made right here. It is greaseless but it is THE BEST cream I've ever used.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I tell all my bathers to use a TON of lotion. I have observed their routine and found that those that suffer from the dry cracked hands are those that use the HV dryer on their hands. Big NO NO!! Try to use a towel to absord some of the water coming off the dog and it will also act as a buffer to deter the blower from actually hitting your hands. Obviously you can't stop in completely but do what you can to deter that air from hitting your hands while they are wet. The dry, cracked condition resembles a heavy wind burn. Good Luck!!

Comment

Best thing I have found to cure this is diaper rash cream (with zinc). It doesn't smell good, but it sure does help (overnight).

Comment

try these

My husbands hands are in greese and solvents a lot.

I have found that Mary kays hand therpy system really helps him.

You scrub off the old skin with a mildly abrasive lotion, and then wash that off with their mild soap, and then you add this other cream and rub it in.
          Its pretty amazing and your hands feel like silk.

When I worked at daycare and preschool we wash our hand a lot, and
          I found that Avons silacone glove worked very well. It leaves protection
          on even after you wash. I applied it several times a day, and it helped me a lot.

If your hands are cracked and actually sore, I think the mary kay is your best bet.

Comment

Bitty hit the nail on the button. Make sure in the winter and when you have the problem most that you put hand CREAM and not lotion on your hands before using the dryer.
            Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

Originally posted by Grooming_N_PA View Post
              I have used gloves b4 but that becomes a problem making sure the dogs are completely rinsed
              What kind of gloves were you using? Nitrile gloves (they usually come in purple or blue) that are properly fitting allow you to feel right through the gloves. It may sound weird, but you can feel not only shampoo but water right through them. When the dog feels squeaky and the water runs perfectly clear I know it's rinsed off.

After trying EVERYTHING, using nitrile gloves (after putting on lotion) are the only thing that's given my skin relief. I buy the extended cuff ones so I can easily bathe without the water running down my arms and into the glove.
              The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

If I use Best slot or davis products my hands stay soft if I use anything else they get dry and itchy I've had the most problems with Espree and some Kelco products.

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                  You can add all the hand cream you want, but once your skin is dead, it can't be...uh...resurrected. At least not at this time, lol.

Tammy in Utah
                  Ahaha, I got that joke Tammy! (tehehe)

Comment

There is also a product called the Invisable Glove. It comes in a can.You should be able to find it in an automotive store under a different brand name.You will need to apply it through out the day to insure the continued protection.Once you apply it you don't even know it's on.

Comment

Old remedies work today

There is an old lotion in a clear bottle in most drugs stores. Look for it on the bottom shelf or some other out of the way area of the lotions. It's not pretty and it doesn't smell like vanilla ice cream or have calming properties like lavender. It's good old fashioned Corn Huskers Lotion. It's clear and feels like snot, and is a tiny bit greasy/sticky at first but that goes away real fast. It will cure your hands and will do it fast too. Start by applying it every chance you get and then as you remember, at least once a day when needed. You'll be very surprised.
                      Last edited by Sunny; 05-23-07, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Aww man pawsh... your mind is sooo in the gutter!

Comment

There was a student at my grooming school who had the exema really badly, and it wasn't going away even when she'd take a few days off of grooming.

She called senproco and spoke with the chemist, and was told to use odor handler.. turns out it was bacteria that was causing the problem. The odor handler cleared it right up! (She put it on at night so it'd stay on as long as possible).

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Grooming_N_PA View Post
                            This is a question or actually a cry for help to see if anyone has some suggestions on how to help "housewives eczema". My hands get so dry and red sometimes they actually split and crack. I know its a reaction from bathing because when Im off of work for a couple days my hands get better. I have gone so far as to only use oatmeal shampoo on my dogs and have a co worker do any flea baths for me. I have used gloves b4 but that becomes a problem making sure the dogs are completely rinsed and as soon as I go back to just my hands they become flammed again.
                            Does anyone else have this problem? If so any suggestions?? I would greatly appreciate it!!!
                            The water you use may be too hard. Look into a water softener. We have a total filtration system on our water, best thing we ever did. No more dry, burning, itchy, allegator hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawshpooch View Post
                              Ahaha, I got that joke Tammy! (tehehe)
                              LOL, I was trying to be subtle. It just sort of came out that way, I was trying to talk about "revitalizing" or bringing your skin back to life, but that's the word that came to mind, lol.

Tammy in Utah
                              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Working...
                              X