Puppy Maternity Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puppy Maternity Advice

A client of mine with four schnauzers made an appointment. He only brought two. He said the other two females where just finishing or are in heat. They did breed them. When is it best to groom these soon to be moms? Is it best to wait until they are a couple of weeks from delivery so they won't need it again until the babies are gone? Or is grooming to hard on a pregnant mother? Please given any advice on this! Do you ever take a mother away from her pups long enough for grooming or do you wait until they are gone?

Previous

answers regarding this topic. Many would not groom a pregnant dog, and especially later in pregnancy. I would and have. Having had pregnant dogs, I find a good short grooming around 2 weeks before due date was great, trimming belly area and lots of hair off around birthing area. I guess many would say okay a month before. Mobile is better, but if in the shop, first appointment or last also might be suggested. I don't see any danger, always hiked my dogs etc. treated mostly like regular dogs till they only could waddle, lol.
    Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Just have the owner come in and wait while you trim up the tummy/rear, check nails and cut and file. I wouldn't bathe them (owner can do this at home if necessary). You should be able to get done whatever really needs it in about 15 min. Save other grooming until the mom has quit nursing. I would NEVER HV a pregnant dog. This is what I do with my girl when she has pups.

Comment

Well, I have never been asked to groom a pregnant bitch, but I can tell you that, I run my dogs (n the field) even when expecting until about 1 week before they are due. It keeps them in good shape and have NEVER had any whelping (or early delivery) problems. Pups have always been healthy and strong too!

The only time I could think that a grooming would be stressful, is if the bitch is a very timid or nervous dog. However, once the pups come, I would not bring the "mom" into any new environment until the pups are weaned and vaccinated. It would be to easy for her to pick up something and bring it home to her pups!

Comment

Like NeaNea,I would not consider a groom until after the pups are weaned.
          Half way through the pregnancy(31 days) I would consider a groom but my experience with pregnancy is the level of stress...............I do not have ANY stress in the duration,before or after the time they are due. This makes healthy and beautiful puppies...........just my theory.

Comment

Hmmm

I read that NeaNea would treat a pregnant dog about the same as any dog except reserving grooming if it were a type of dog that was known to get all stressed out with grooming. I also as she said would not want it in the shop till pups have been weaned and safely vacinated also though. I would go to a house and clip off hairs if they were really needing that. NeaNea I also, as I've said, let my dogs get tons of field hiking etc. exercise while pregnant (just like I did) and have wondered if it helped me also have wonderful healthy litters. I have read all these awful stories about newborns problems but not seen any of my own, knock on wood and praise God, just in case.
            Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Working...
            X