Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!! PLEASE!! *PANIC* (long sorry)

Hello all,

I seem to have gotten myslef into quite the mess...A while back I groomed a Bichon that was very matted around the rear and private area...I was able to demat most of it but had to shave some out and I just shaved around the private area with my Moser. THe owner loved the groom and I told her that he may seem itchty around his rear b/c of the de-mating and shaving. She understood and left... The next day shes calls in a rage saying his rear and privates was extreamly red and irritated and that he was "scooting" his butt on the floor and causing open sores. OK, so I reminded her that I said he may be itchy and red and he may need his anals sacs expressed, Bichons tend to have very sensitive skin...blah blah blah..she calmed down, thanked me for my concern, and I told her to call me back if It ever got worse. She never called back...

So that was about 2 months ago. This morning(about 20 min ago) My boss sits me down and says "we need to have a chat". OH god! *my stomach sinks to my feet*"ok, whats up" I say. Apparently over the past week he has gotten 4 phone calls about a similar thing happening to a few dogs I did. PANIC!
    One of which was a golden I did last week and they called extremly mad yesterday after I left saying that hes was all red and itchy with sores...and so on. They are taking him to the vet and want us to pay for part of it...

First of all I wish my boss had told me about the calls coming in instead of waiting until he got 4! I disinfect everything very well every day and since the Bichon insident I have not used my mosers for sani trims. I know that clipper oils and sprays can cause irritation too. I always make sure I wipe these off well be fore I clip too...
    What could I be doing wrong? I almost don't even want to do sani anymore at all. Please give me some advice on this one... The last thing I need is for people to be spreading the word that I hurt their dogs!!

That's a complaint I hear of a lot when I get business from other shops in the area. I tend to be really careful, using 8.5 or 10 w/grain on sani trims. No one has ever complained that I left it too hairy! If I need to go shorter because of matting or mess, I tell the client to use some medicated cream for a couple of days so it doesn't become irritated.

Comment

Sounds awful

there could be connections with full anal sacs? It seems you don't express and if they were full then scooting on clipped areas could cause such difficulties. I do express if feeling full, but at least have in writing that you've informed them about sacs being full, and of course the OAY signed paper will help. But with the non-messes, I would look very seriously at your blades, your technique (possible heavy handed, or angleing in too much) or just too much close clipping. I have had some itchy problems like that reported in the past and now barely skim the area, even have used a # 7 or even scizzored the area. I put on a skin lotion on anything that looks like it might have a problem and if any looking like a problem or a history of such a problem (I ask) I will ask them to please call me and let me know so I can write that down. I also will suggest if itchy for them to put on a soothing lotion there. They like my concern.
      Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Bully, please let us know how long have you been grooming. What, if anything, has changed in between the time you had no problems and the time of your first problem with the Bichon. Any new products or cleaning processes? Can you pinpoint a similarity between each dog that has had issues (first dog done after oiling or cleaning blades). This is a strange thing to suddenly occur. What are the stories on the other dogs with issues?

Comment

I have not been grooming long at all. Just since last October. I have always done sani trims the same way I learned in school and have never had a problem until recently. I have always used the same blade wash, spray, oil, and disinfectant too. I think It was probly a combo of the anal glands(which I do not feel comfortable doing, but always the tell the customer if they need to be done to go to their vet), sensitive skin, and/or me in a rush and being too heavy handed. from now on I think I will just carefully scissor the area of use something like a 7f. My boss did not go into detail about the various dogs that had the issue, he just said they all basicly said the same thing...red, irritated, itchy(which caused sores).
          What is a good skin product to carry and /or reccomend to customers should this happen again??
          Thanks for the input!

Comment

when you do sani's, try to not even touch the skin. use a very light hand. don't use any of those little clippers, the blade cuts too close. i use a 10 and i never have a problem, but when i first started grooming i think i was a little heavy handed and i would have problems. and if you have a matted dog get yourself some eqyss spray or a cortizone spray and give their rears and bellies a squirt when your done.

Comment

I noticed when I was using my moser and bravura on privates and faces there was blade burning going on more often than using a regular blade. I stopped using my moser and bravura for that reason on sensitive places no matter how gentle I tried to be, it would burn.

Comment

I did have that problem on a few dogs in a row at the last place I worked. Part of it was I learned like Goldi said to never touch it to the skin but my boss was always like get closes you gotta get every hair off and irritation would result. Also she tended to squeeze dogs in between appointments and make you rushand I think that was part of it, You really need to take care in this area.

I just took courses at intergroom with Vero Dysilva and Trish Finn and they said if you think the dog might have sensitive skin or get irritated or you see it's a little pink you can use bactine and it will stop any irritations from going further.

I never had that problem before working for or since leaving the last place I worked.

Some dogs cause the irritation by like you said rubbing against carpet or furniture too much and then sores form.

Comment

Make sure to mark the dogs cards that you have had that problem with and use a 7 for their sani. Also, Try a different 10 blade. Maybe yours is not quite sharp and is causing the irritation. A light hand when using a 10 also helps. I have a spray from Quadruped that is awesome if I see any irritation on the skin I give it a spray and explain why they have a wet spot be it where I clipped or just that the skin had irritation for whatever reason. The spray is all natural and has lidocane properties. I forget what exactly it is called, but it is from Quadruped.
                  If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Make sure to do the sani before the tub, and use a little oatmeal shampoo back there. Be sure not to cross over the anus with the clipper....clip away from the anus on both sides...a 10 is best, but a 7f on ahite/sensitive dogs is good, just be careful DO NOT SCISSOR back there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Blades

Have you changed clippers or are your clippers in need of servicing? Are you regularly checking your blades themselves to make sure they are not heating up? Seems obvious, but in reading the replies I haven't seen mention of this.

Comment

We keep a cortizone spray on hand. If I see any bit of pink than I spray it. I also make sure I make a mark on their file to take a longer blade there (usually 5 or 7, or sometimes I will just scissor it). Another thing to keep in mind is that some dogs are just hypersensitive. I have a dog that I groom that I have to use a three on the belly, and butt because anything lower and she will be an itchy mess. Since there have been several people complaining that may not be the case though with these, I just thought that I would throw it out there.
                        Like others have mentioned it very well could be the anal glands. Maybe clipping a full sac caused irritation?
                        Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Some schools are teaching to use a #40 blade for pads and sanitaries. I would not ever use a #40 until you are more experienced in grooming. And even now I still rarely use one. I always use a 10 blade on sanitary area, and very quickly scoop out the area. Newbies tend to try to do everything perfectly and can irritate skin going over and over the same spot trying to get every little hair. Also tell your boss to check your blades and see if that is the problem. I remember I had one 7 blade that kept nicking a dog. Turns out it had been sharpened too much not too sharp just ground down the little riser inside making it heat up, snag skin, etc. So be sure blade is sharp, oiled, and as a rule on White, blonde, apricot dogs, use a 7F. And again don't try to get the dog ready for surgury, just try to make the hair short enough that it won't get peepee or whatever on it. For a little while.
                          And please tell your boss that since you are new you're still learning and she needs to tell you EVERY time you get a complaint. Tell her to spare your feelings you will never learn from your mistakes ~if you don't know about them!

Comment

I use a # 10 with my Clipper Vac all time on privates and never have this problem. I barely touch the skin, though. And I used this same technique even before I had the CV. Don't press into the skin or go against the grain. And don't shave a big wide patch from the anus through the legs to the penis or vulva (unless the owner specifically asks). It's a horrible practice and I've had people tell me their previous groomers did it and the owners hated it. I swoop down and just clip around the anus and then do the same with the tip of the penis and the belly around an inch before it. You barely touch the skin.

When I even think I might have a case of clipper irritation I immediately spray the area with a soothing ointment (can't think of the name of the one I'm using at present.)
                            The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

I have yet to have a problem I do this. I have a specific #10 for sani's, it is creamed after every dog, I dont use sprays (every get coolant spray on a paper cut OWWW! so I don;t use them at all), my #10's are never even close to dull, I only go over ONCE, I never do san's before th bath, always after.

I know everyone does them different. But so far this has worked for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X