I need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need advice

Hi my name is Bill, I'm a lover of dog's, and I am considering becoming a groomer.

But I have some concerns. And I will list them

1. I cant afford Dog grooming school, Do Schools have like Earn and learn programs? Like you work as a Dog Bather or something and pay your way through it

2. Is Dog Grooming mostly females? or is it equal

3. Can you live comfortably on a Dog Groomer Salary?

4. What type of jobs can you get if you go to dog grooming school?

Thanks to whoever answers this

you can also email me at [email protected]

Originally posted by williamschiavone82 View Post
    1. I cant afford Dog grooming school, Do Schools have like Earn and learn programs? Like you work as a Dog Bather or something and pay your way through it
    2. Is Dog Grooming mostly females? or is it equal
    3. Can you live comfortably on a Dog Groomer Salary?
    4. What type of jobs can you get if you go to dog grooming school?
    1. You can always try applying for a corporate grooming place like a petsomething. I started as a bather and my grooming school fee was taken from my paycheck gradually.
    2. It is mostly females, but there are very good male groomers out there too.
    3. I guess it depends on your lifestyle and financial needs, and what your working situation is (the volume of work you can do and the amount you make per dog, etc.) but I'm sure you can.
    4. You can work in a kennel that offers grooming, or for a vet that offers grooming, a corporate shop like petsomething, a private shop, own your own shop or go mobile. I highly recommend working for someone else for at least a year if you'd like to go on your own. It'll give you the ins and outs of the business.

Comment

Don't worry about being a guy!! it is like male hairdressers, there hard to find, but they don't try to eliminate the competition, they excel and everyone wants one.

Comment

Originally posted by scullysmom View Post
        Don't worry about being a guy!! it is like male hairdressers, there hard to find, but they don't try to eliminate the competition, they excel and everyone wants one.
        Actually, it was a blessing in disguise for the petsomething I worked at. It was a small room full of b***hing females then a young guy was hired as a bather, then another, then a 3rd. It really help to tone down the hormones and added a bit of humor. They all ended up becoming groomers.

Comment

funny!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RevWind View Post
            Actually, it was a blessing in disguise for the petsomething I worked at. It was a small room full of b***hing females then a young guy was hired as a bather, then another, then a 3rd. It really help to tone down the hormones and added a bit of humor. They all ended up becoming groomers.
            I worked in a shop that a guy worked at in So. CA and it made life so much more fun. He was a very good groomer, but he really enjoyed the single life, and would come in with a hang over and after being in a fight, and not feeling real good to groom. We sure had fun picking on him when he was hung over.

Comment

Males grooming

Male or female is not the issue
              Borrow money for a "good grooming school" It will pay off in the first year. Can you say that about any college?
              Or visit chops and work your way up to a groomer in time. Money does not come the first year but with good skills and depenabily In a year of so you'll be making a fine living.
              ANYTH:ING that ils worth anything---takes time

Comment

ACEY

Just starting deabating weather or not to open my salon , mobile, or apply at a grooming store then look for a location for my new salon. PUZZLED

Comment

Research, research, research! Grooming can truly be a labor of love! About the only way to be secure as far as benefits and good pay is working for a petsomething. It's a trade off. If you truly love the field you will want to be on your own, working with your own ethics and standards, however you will lose in benefits and healthcare that, unfortunately you really need in this line of work. There are many potential health concerns, back problems, carpal tunnel syndrome, resperatory problems not to mention beoming a smoker and a heavy drinker to deal with the stress of angry low paying customers, sorry, just kidding, but it can be a difficult job. If you love dogs, like I do, it doesn't matter. I love what I do and wake up everyday looking forward to seeing my clients, just remember, like anything, there are problems and unfortunately, in this industry, there are a lot. We need good people who believe in a common goal to make this industry better, for both the dog groomer and the dog!

Comment

Working...
                  X