walk in nail trims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• walk in nail trims

i usually work alone and i hate walk in nail trims,and usually the dog is naughty,how do you all handle this,and they will uasually walk in when i just got a big dog on the table,and if i say i dont have time they get all in a huff,and i have so many on sat,thats my busiest day,im thinking of putting a sign up no walk in nail trims,appt only,i dont mind if im not busy,but to me my first priority,is to get the dogs i have scheduled out,what do you all do????
    trish

I charge $15 for nails trim and I think that's very high for around here. That stops lots people just walk in any time and even if they did, I don't mind doing it cus I make good money for few mins work.

Comment

I don't have walk-ins coming to my shop because I'm a couple miles out in the country and nobody walks by. But, I do nail trims only by appointment and only first thing in the morning before my regular day starts. Otherwise to have people schedule nails trims for mid-day or the end of the day would be a real pain, as I can never tell exactly when my table will be free. Not worth the time & trouble to take a dog off and crate it, wipe off table and put another dog on for nails. So they come early am, by appointment.
      The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

I work in a vet clinic and the techs do all the nail trims. They charge 11 bucks and the nails look as if they need to be done after they do them! So, I'm not much help here!
        Deanne

Comment

I only do walk ins if I have the time and am at a stopping point. I don't advertise it at all. I do free nail trims for regular clients (4 week bookings or less) and those clients all know they need to call and make an appointment.

Most of my nail-trim only dogs come from our boarding or daycare dogs. Those guys I do at my convenience, so that works for me.

Comment

I do by appt only as well, but like blue said I'm not really in an area that gets foot traffic. I'd say ALL SERVICES BY APPOINTMENT ONLY on your door, that way when they come in you can say, sure thing, I have an appt in 25 mins, or at 2:30 this afternoon, or I'm booked for the day, see you tomorrow. I advertise by appt only, and that nail trims can usually be fit in the day they call. Or you can do what bell does, that sounds like a good idea, charge a lot, it discourages some and the others you don't mind cause it's worth the time.
            Erin
            No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

You could ask them to leave the dog and come back in 30 minutes, I always took it as an oppertunity to cultivate a new client.

Comment

I always take walk in nail trims, even baths only!! quick money, new client..I spend time with them telling them about my services and they end up making an appt for a full bath service!! I try not to turn anyone down if I can keep from it!

Comment

I take them. Only take a few minutes and the client's always happy I make the time for them.
                  Make them happy and you get good referrals by them to their friends. More people, more dogs, more money.

Comment

Sometimes

at the Pet Store, I made more money in nails, at 50 percent, than in grooms. That was on an unusual slow day, or as was common, lots of no-shows. Heavy traffic area with a lot of people bringing their pet in the retail part, came over to the grooming part. The store charged only 13 dollars less than some of the baths so we could sometimes get them to go ahead and bath the dog (those easy short hairs for instance) since nail trimming was included. Since we often had bored bathers, it was real helpful to the stores grooming bottom line.

I have had many referrals to great, I mean great customers from things like kindness to not so great clients. If you have a lot of walk ins for nails, I'd plan, if I were you, on a bit of extra time allowed for those possibilities.
                    Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

I work out of my home so I don't get too many walk ins for nails. Usually it is when a client brings in the one dog to be groomed and they have another just for nail trim. I'll usually do it just before I start the groom, or they bring it back and I do it when they pick up the groom dog.
                      I don't have people just walking by my house asking me to do a nail trim. lol
                      "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                      Diane

Comment

Originally posted by PurplePoodlePetBows View Post
                        I work in a vet clinic and the techs do all the nail trims. They charge 11 bucks and the nails look as if they need to be done after they do them! So, I'm not much help here!
                        Deanne
                        DITTO here! I felt so sorry for this one dog whose nails were sooo long. I could SEE that they needed to be trimmed better, but when I said something the tech/receptionist (she was converting from tech to receptionist) said she got them well, "to the first dot." I told her she needed to go to the "second dot," meaning, the quick! GRRR

Tammy in Utah
                        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by hairdevil View Post
                          I always take walk in nail trims, even baths only!! quick money, new client..I spend time with them telling them about my services and they end up making an appt for a full bath service!! I try not to turn anyone down if I can keep from it!
                          Me too! On occasion I will turn away baths if I am too busy, but to me nails are quick and easy $$$ and an opportunity to cultivate a new client. BTW, what do you think your percentage of nail clip clients are Chichuahua's. I want to say 99.9% for me. Good thing Julia has a bratty Chich and knows EXACTLY how to hold them so I can clip w/out getting bit by the little brats....lol
                          SheilaB from SC

Comment

If I see someone walking their dog and I have some time before my next groom I will pull over in my van and ask the owner if the dog needs a nail trim. I have made some extra $$$ this way. It also gives me the opportuniity to show a potential new customer my van and tell them about mobile grooming. I've gotten a few new customers this way.
                            www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                            http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

I've only been biten twice in 29 years! One was a shih-tzu that nailed me without warning(that I sent home) and a cat 20 years ago! lol I don't groom cats anymore!

Comment

Working...
                              X