Am I Expecting Too Much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I Expecting Too Much?

I'm not sure if it's my expectations or if I'm in a hiring rut but, lately I just can't find a bather that can or will do the job the way it should be done. I have to hold them by the hand with every task they do. It's so aggravating. I started in the same position they are in and for the life of me I can't remember having this hard a time getting it right. I don't feel like I'm asking a lot from them. No more than all bathers before them. They just don't get it. I go in each day to find dirty kennels, hair in the drains and all the little things that take about 5 minutes to do right. Thanks for letting me vent!

I remember well your prior

post about your bather woes and in a few words- I could not work for you.

I like to be respected & appreciated.

Erica

Comment

no, as an employer, you are only expecting a job do be done correctly! I'm with you on this. I can not tell you how many tmes, how many bathers, I have to go through to find one that will do it to the finish. They do the same thing! start out good, get lazy, take advantage, I end of being a [email protected]##@ and I either replace them, or start cutting them back until they "get it or get out". sad to say, most of the ones I've hired are just down right lazy. I would love to find someone who just cares about their job. Its aggravating to no end, and makes going mobile look like a cake walk!!! and an option!!!
      best of luck!!

Comment

This is a hard one. Most bathers want to learn to groom, but have a hard time being patient enough to work up to that point.

So far I've been fortunate with the gal working with me. She comes in, gets right to work, occasionally begging for mercy, lol. I think, "Hey, mercy is that you didn't get stuck bathing/drying that husky that took me 4 hours," lol. Just kidding. She's great, a hard worker, good work ethic. I wish I could pay her more, I really do.

Tammy in Utah
        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

hey i remember when i was a bather i was very good at it.at the first place where i started (no experience)i had the key to the shop in 2 weeks i knew how to do everything in 2weeks except groom!,i made app,checked pets in,bathed and dry them and always cleaned my whole working area before i left that included 2 tubs,4trash cans shop vac picked up all the mats and just left it where they just had to clean up after them (the groomers 2)i always bathed 15 to 25 dogs tuesday thru friday and 30 to 40 on saturday there was 3 or 4 groomers on saturdays at one point i bathed 50 dogs by myself because the part time bather quit and the owner could not find help and since i never complained about how tired i was i guess she figured i was superwoman or something,i even helped her feed her kids and take care of them in the shop,and babysat for her i gave this person almost 5 yrs of my life and when i finaly decided to speak up and told her how she took advantage of me because i needed the job she decided to make my life miserable and nobody can take that; so i stayed long enough to learn what i wanted from her and moved on things got so bad that i used a walkman with headphones so that i did not have to hear her voice. the reason i'm telling you this is because i feel that we should not pay attention to the little dumb things that they don't do right,if they are bathing the dogs good then that's great i think the word bather says it all (to bath) maybe when you hire them let them know or ask if they have any janitor skills that way they will do a good job too. i'm sorry to say all this but that's how i feel what may be clean to me may not be clean to you so don't sweat it. don't forget where and how most of us started!

Comment

being the shop bytch isnt soo bad LOL

wow i remember when i was a bather aka the shop servant.i was expected to answer every phone call,make all the appiontments,do every nail trim that walked in the door,check all the dogs in,get instructions for the hair cuts,check all the dogs out,clean up EVERYTHING at the end of the night including all 50 kennels even the ones that had been pooped in by the groomers dogs during the day and by the end of the night it was all dried up and caked in to the grate so i would have to hand scrub it off YUCK! and not to mention bathe,dry,do nails, ears and brush out alll of my 8 dogs and most of the groomers dogs. i hated it but i stuck with it because at the same time i WANTED to learn and eventually become a groomer and i finally did! yay!

Comment

Originally posted by eli View Post
              post about your bather woes and in a few words- I could not work for you.

I like to be respected & appreciated.

Erica
              If you can't or just won't do your job how do you figure you deserve respect or appreciation?
              If you do what is expected then you have earned that respect and appreciation.
              You shouldn't have to keep telling someone over and over what is expected at the end of the day. Things need to be cleaned and taken care of. All that is being asked is to do the job the way it is suppose to be done.
              "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
              Diane

Comment

could be

Well I don't know what all you expect from your bathers, but

Where I was, we were also expected to.... take dogs in, check dogs out,
                mop, sweep, do the laundry, keep track of all the colars and leashes, and
                move dogs from cage to cage as we got piled up, and have at least twelve
                dogs done by noon and that was all at once.
                I lasted one month.
                The pay was not worth all that hassle, let alone if god forbid, you didn't catch a dogs name when someone else checked it in. Seeing that they were checked in in an entierly different room, that did happen,once. I felt like the scum of the earth.
                That was good for at least a five minute lecture on paying attention,
                and I am 48 years old. I was never sick or late one minute. Never made a nits worth of difference to her.

Just make sure bathing is all your expecting, because I am telling you
                your help won't last if so.

Comment

well one thing is this...EVERYTHING that you want done are you telling the person when they are interviewing for the posistion? is this too many tasks for the person to easily manage while they are there working? cleaning kennels out (do you mean actual runs or just crates?) takes more work than wiping out a crate that has hair in it. have you made a checklist of everything that needs to be done before they can move onto the next task? this was what we did at the kennel i worked at...it was also a vets office. there was a clipboard with each job that we needed to do in each specific room that we had to check off... ie....clean runs, put fresh blankets, feed dogs, clean IN/IN runs, CLean IN/OUT runs, Let dogs back outside, clean drains, etc etc.
                  it all depends on if you have everything written down...if you have a ton of tasks that need to be done people DO forget things. id just write the stuff down, say this is what needs to be done by the end of the day and leave it at that. also before they go home for the day CHECK to make sure everything is done before allowing them to leave. if its done then they can leave. if its not then they need to finish cleaning up before being allowed to leave.
                  JMHO
                  Hound

Comment

Eli, I know you referring to some other post that Allison made :-)

As per the new issue: Have you made a list of job responsibilites? My bathers have one and I laminated it and have it hanging on the back of the bathing room door. This way, they can't "forget" or claim they "didn't know".

When put into a new position it takes people several times to get it right:-) To you the kennels and drain are big (to me as well) but to someone new in the field it seems trivial... making sure the dogs are safe may be their priority.

Comment

Bather Need More Money

But we can't really pay them for what they are worth. A good bather is worth her/his weight in gold. A bather can help you get at least 6 more dogs in a day than you can alone. BUT then again a bad bather is just more stress!
                      I so feel your pain!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Houndlover has great tips. Make checklists that they can refer to and initial when the job is done. Just like the ones you see in public restrooms. Checklists are great.

Comment

sorry it's so long...

I don't think that you are expecting too much. When I started I was a bather (which could mean 30 dogs), sometimes helped with check ins or outs or answer phones, I swept during the day, I worked in the kennel (walked dogs, cleaned the runs including gutters, then cleaned up the other areas in the kennel and scooped the yard), then I also had to clean the cages, and do afternoon clean up (put everything away, and sweep and mop). I didn't think that it was too much. Sure it was a lot, but once you got into a groove it wasn't too bad. And believe me I was not paid a whole lot, lol. Not even close to the 7-9 an hour that most bathers and kennel workers are paid now.
                          Some people that were hired acted more like those you described (missing things, etc), but others slipped right into the groove and did fine. If any of them complained that the work was too much, I knew it wasn't...I did it, and for less money than them, lol.
                          Some people just aren't cut out for it, and infortunately you might have to go through several bathers/kennel workers to find that right one!

Good luck! Hope it gets better.
                          Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

ive worked at a boarding kennel in a vet office (that was for a few months i got disciplined for something that was NOT my fault (family emergencythe night before, and 2 coworkers who didnt like me for some reason decided to tell the boss that i called and didnt show up and told them i didnt care i wasnt coming in and that i sounded like i had just woken up...uh...if you were up half the night at the hospital wouldnt YOU sound exhausted also?), i had just walked in the door to the house to fed and water the animals and let them out real fast before going BACK to the hospital, found a message on the answering machine, called them back, told them what happend and said im sorry i cannot come into work today, im heading back to the hospital right now...response from the two girls? but we are REALLY BUSY today...i said IM SORRY i cannot come into work today...then they decide to tell the boss that i said iw asnt coming in as i was too tired or some ****! so when the boss calls to tell me im on disciplinary action or some ****..i explained the situation and what had happened...her response...oh okay...well your still on disciplinary action. i said fine whatever. hung up...thought about it and discussed it with my boyfriend (fiance now) and decided i DIDNT need to work at a place where i didnt get along with two coworkers, when the boss decides not to even care about my side of the story of why i didnt come in that day, and the pay is ****! (it was 6 an hr). so i quit. then i worked at a doggy daycare, (that was about 8 to 9 months), then a groomer(3 or 4 months), then a groomer (8 months). and now im working at jewel osco (grocery store). i made 6 at the kennel, 7 at the daycare, 7 at the first groomer, and 3 to 4 dollars per dog (maybe about 10 at the MOST a day...more like 5 to 7ish....so figure....at the kennel i made an average of 30ish dollars a day, at the daycare i made about 42 dollars a day (that was working a 7 to 1 shift...there where times i was there ALL DAY literally), at the first groomer it was about 63ish dollars a day, and at the last groomer it was 20 dollars a day and i was there for MOST of the day (say from 7 or 8 or sometimes 9ish til 1ish or even until 6 or 7 o clock!!!). for 20 dollars a day!!! i was NUTS but i wanted to learn how to groom! at the first groomer i made at least 150 dollars every 3 days (i worked 3 days a week) so....that was good. i also volunteered at the animal shelter for 3 yrs...and now i make 9 dollars an hr and get about 30 hrs a week average. so im quite happy where i am now MONEY wise. but yes....bathers DO go quite unappreciated....and arent paid what they are worth. make a list and MAKE SURE you ALWAYS check their work area AFTER they are done for the day. thats YOUR responsibility as a shop owner if they arent getting it done at night dont leave them there alone....STAY and MAKE SURE its done. this way YOU know its going to be done in the morning and the BATHER knows that your going to stay there and make sure its done and until its done they dont get to leave. i know it might seem harsh...but if thats the way things have to be done then thats the way things have to be done until they can do it themselves.
                            this seems the only way for you to make sure it gets done along with having check lists set up. like gracy said...this way they cannot say OH i didnt know i was supposed to do THAT or oh well i forgot. then you can point to the list and say...well this is here so you DONT forget. also how old are the people your hiring? are they younger (ie 16 yrs old in that general catagory) or are they in the 18 to 20 plus range?
                            Hound

Comment

Working...
                            X