Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Help

Hi,

Lately I have gotten lots of clients (about 4) saying how much their kids love dogs and how they would like to coem in and help every now and then. Now I personally started working as a voluntear at a petshop during high school and ended up getting a paying job there while on spring breaks, but I would spend a few hours after school there everyday socializing birds, and such.

My question as a buisness owner how do you guys deal with this? do you take 1 or 2 summer helpers, is it to much of a liability? What is the youngest you would take an aprentice/student to teach bathing/brushing to?

My 14 year old sister works a few hours after school and weekends with us but she also has flexability to say she doesn't want to help this or that day(our buisness it family operated) and her 16 year old boyfriend coems over to hang out with her and help bath and brush out dogs also but I do not know if I should just avoid or maybe actually take on a responsable teen everyno and then. One of the people asking is the owner of the building but I do not want to get into a legal issue.

so any advice is welcomed.

I have one little girl who is 6 and is counting down the years until she can work for me LOL. Its so cute.

Comment

If I were you I would think long and hard about hiring a clients kid. We have done it in the past, and had to fire her. Haven't seen them since (we'd been grooming their dog for years and years and years, by the way). If you do hire a client's kid than you can open a whole can of worms there. Think about what it could mean if you had problems with them.
      As for being young, I think it's not a bad idea to have a teenager work with you. We have several high school students that work on Saturdays and Sundays during the school year, and then full time during the summer. They are great workers, and pretty flexible because they don't have kids. Of course like any other workers they can have problems.
      Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

words of wisdom! never hire a friend or anyone you know personally!!! never a clients kid or anyone associated with a client. it don't mix,......for long!!!!
        My daughter is 15 and shes going to the fort mitchell show with me taking the bather brusher course. Im so excited!! and shes working this summer! now thats the kind of help you need. strangers or immediate family only!!!

Comment

Working...
        X