X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpikeyTheYorkie
    replied
    Originally posted by Admin View Post
    Perhaps the most difficult skill to acquire is figuring out in truth is the person you are interviewing giving you their best only to let you down, are they for real or not.

In my time of work in the corporate world I worked under Admininstrators making as much as $500K a year, these guys and gals should be good, right? Well I have good intuition, a lot of men can hire from other motivation. But good intuition, well isn't that something to expect of all women out there right? LOL. I think you wanted to see the best...and often you get burned and adjusted by the reality check that doesn't work as regularly as we would like.

Use it. Don't make a decision till you sleep on it. These guys and gals making $500K or more I would say, what the heck are you hiring that person for? They are going to be a big problem etc etc. Stories I could tell, juicy ones too.

Keeping it simple, use your intuition, learn how to ask the right question. Spikey, what if you had asked, if you were not feeling well or hurt yourself, would you have called in sick? I know this sounds remedial, but many people that are bathers are in that category, and bless them for wanting to work, but they probably don't understand responsibility to you. They may even think you are so far above them you can afford, endure or accept their lacking.

Nothing is more difficult than hiring the right person, but experience makes you wise, that's what it is for. The next time round Spikey you are going to be twice as sharp. What a great lesson.

Just know that I have seen oh so many $500K salary admins make far far worse hirings, and some cost thousands in settlements. There was an underlying motivation, and well we will leave that to Jacqueline Susanne novels, and the like.

My point, it is the most difficult task to discern who you should hire. Business books help, but good old fashioned intuition, not hope, should be listened to quite carefully. I would rather work OT everyday than hire the wrong person. When you got the lesson down the right person is likely to come your way.

P.S. In my years in consutling the women business owners that have the MOST MOST MOST difficult time with employees are those that describe themselves as "Mom" to the staff. Oh joy. Mom's are loved, but expected to sacrifice and still be there...yikes.
    Stephen, you are correct. However, being "new" at this whole game, I was afraid of asking illegal questions, lol. I was more worried about her son getting sick, than her. You can't tell someone to go find a babysitter if their kid is sick, everybody needs a little slack, and I do believe that family comes first---to an extent, but not when it runs your life. Anyway, the woman was coming in every morning at 8 am and working for FREE for nearly 2 weeks, she did a good job and she is a NATURAL at this, I'm telling ya. She has no fear. I have blood all over the place from toenails being clipped a little short as proof that she is not afraid of it at all! lol

I did check references, and I relied on her work ethic. Her day of not coming in as stated to me, was due to an injury, a horse had kicked her, leading to another accident that morning. So far so good since then though. I also think she was discouraged.

Tammy in Utah

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    BOW, I agree totally!

Leave a comment:

• SiotehCat
    replied
    Originally posted by Bow wow style View Post
    If I am reading the new 2006 survey right,---we have not gone up any , in fact in some cases in the last few years ,we have gown down in prices. Come on groomers,!!! What are you afraid of. The average min. poodle at @ $29 in some states.
    Remember "professionals" It takes from check in to check out about 90 minutes to do a average dog. Break that down by what you want per hour PLUS costs. as in bathers time, shop expenses, utilities, insurances, etc, etc!
    The persons charging only $29.00 may be making $9.00 per hour (Maybe)
    Is that really "professional"??
    Oh , did I menthen cost for show and travel to and from and blade sharping and bows and, and ,and
    That was actually what the price for most small dogs would cost in my old shop where I used to live. And thats because we werent even the cheapest. But everything else was also less expensive.Homes,apartments,cars,daycare... everything is half the price than it is here. Even gas is cheaper there than it is here. I think the cost of living should be taken into account. There, you can live comfortably charging that much. Here, you would be living in a box.

Leave a comment:

• Admin
    replied
    Perhaps the most difficult skill to acquire is figuring out in truth is the person you are interviewing giving you their best only to let you down, are they for real or not.

In my time of work in the corporate world I worked under Admininstrators making as much as $500K a year, these guys and gals should be good, right? Well I have good intuition, a lot of men can hire from other motivation. But good intuition, well isn't that something to expect of all women out there right? LOL. I think you wanted to see the best...and often you get burned and adjusted by the reality check that doesn't work as regularly as we would like.

Use it. Don't make a decision till you sleep on it. These guys and gals making $500K or more I would say, what the heck are you hiring that person for? They are going to be a big problem etc etc. Stories I could tell, juicy ones too.

Keeping it simple, use your intuition, learn how to ask the right question. Spikey, what if you had asked, if you were not feeling well or hurt yourself, would you have called in sick? I know this sounds remedial, but many people that are bathers are in that category, and bless them for wanting to work, but they probably don't understand responsibility to you. They may even think you are so far above them you can afford, endure or accept their lacking.

Nothing is more difficult than hiring the right person, but experience makes you wise, that's what it is for. The next time round Spikey you are going to be twice as sharp. What a great lesson.

Just know that I have seen oh so many $500K salary admins make far far worse hirings, and some cost thousands in settlements. There was an underlying motivation, and well we will leave that to Jacqueline Susanne novels, and the like.

My point, it is the most difficult task to discern who you should hire. Business books help, but good old fashioned intuition, not hope, should be listened to quite carefully. I would rather work OT everyday than hire the wrong person. When you got the lesson down the right person is likely to come your way.

P.S. In my years in consutling the women business owners that have the MOST MOST MOST difficult time with employees are those that describe themselves as "Mom" to the staff. Oh joy. Mom's are loved, but expected to sacrifice and still be there...yikes.

Leave a comment:

• SpikeyTheYorkie
    replied
    And that, my friend, is why you're so booked with so many dogs. I hope you find a good employee soon. Maybe give them potential to clip hair?

The gal that has been working for me would probably go insane (would you blame her?) just bathing. I do try to throw in a shavedown here and there for practice, (NO USING CLIPPER VAC, that's cheating!), and she does nails, and sometimes she'll do the B&B with light trimming dogs, like pomeranians, etc...

Maybe this will help your bather? If the person looks like a druggy, don't hire 'em. It seems like a lot of people in this industry (and from a lot of stories I have read on here) have drug issues and domestic abuse problems. Be aware and try to avoid.

Tammy in Utah

Leave a comment:

• Bow wow style
    started a topic Pricing-WHAT!!

Pricing-WHAT!!

If I am reading the new 2006 survey right,---we have not gone up any , in fact in some cases in the last few years ,we have gown down in prices. Come on groomers,!!! What are you afraid of. The average min. poodle at @ $29 in some states.
    Remember "professionals" It takes from check in to check out about 90 minutes to do a average dog. Break that down by what you want per hour PLUS costs. as in bathers time, shop expenses, utilities, insurances, etc, etc!
    The persons charging only $29.00 may be making $9.00 per hour (Maybe)
    Is that really "professional"??
    Oh , did I menthen cost for show and travel to and from and blade sharping and bows and, and ,and
Working...
X