Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help. I can't move! (LONG)

Oh what a day!

It was great until the last 2 hours...that turned into FOUR hours. GRRRR...

I did 11 "slots" today and my last one was a malamute, (or husky? I can't tell, it's all white with blue eyes, can you tell I'm exhausted, lol). I expected 1.5 to 2 hours, tops. Last time I groomed him I dried him with the commander dryer, 29,000 FPM, so he wasn't in bad shape at all. That was last August!

Today I realize he's pretty packed with undercoat. It's been 9 months you know. Tried to blow it out (I have the master blaster dryer now). NOPE. I thought, "OMH!!! It's not comin' out!!!!" Talk about a mess!

This dog's owner normally takes great care of him but she's allergic to him, and since she's pregnant now, she said she can't take allergy medicine so she hasn't been touching him much. She had no idea how bad he was.

I took him for a walk before bath---he peed a river for literally over a minute! I walked him more but he didn't act like he had to "go" anymore so I started the bath. As I started drying him he pooped in the tub. Ewww, stinky and a mess. I had no help at the time so I had to put the pile in a towel in the corner of the bathing room, NASTY! Start drying again and he pees another river for nearly a minute again!!! Take that towel and put it in the corner. Start drying again, I freaked out about the coat not coming out. (Mind you, I'm brushing/drying at the same time). Then he poos a great big pile AGAIN!!! I finally called the owners. I told them, "I can demat just about anything, but there's a point where it is inhumane." I told them I was concerned the coat wasn't coming out, I'd never seen an arctic breed in that condition before with one exception, a dog I shaved down that left two pelts (both hips) with me, lol. They didn't want to shave him, they felt so horrible, but said go ahead and do what's best for Kimba. Ok. So I finish drying and I'd looked and realized I'd really made a lot of progress, see what more I could do. I actually was able to de-mat the whole dog without too much pain on the dog's part (other than standing that whole time). We were both pooped!

I made more money today than I ever have grooming (this dog, a chow, and 9 other "slots," 3 of them money-making cats!), but I'd rather not do it again!

Thanks for listening. I have never spent that kind of time on a dog, nor have I ever charged so much money!!!!! What do ya do? The dog's mats weren't "one piece" or anything like that, just a bunch of mats all around the neck and sides. I did shave the belly, combed out the rest with little tugging and pulling. Mat breaker helped a lot!

No, this will NOT be happening again. It was one of those situations where 2 hours turns into 3, but you've made so much progress, how can you turn around and shave the animal? I just couldn't do it. The dog is white with pink skin. I don't think so!

Tammy in Utah
    Last edited by SpikeyTheYorkie; 05-16-07, 09:59 PM.
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Pound of puppy pity for you!

Benn there done that. I make my own rules and sometimes I break them. I stress that I am a stressfree groomer and will not put a dog through brushing out matts...but then have of them blow out and I can't bear to do a shave down...so I wrangle the rest out.
    Pregancy and a new baby is often the circumstances when these situations occur. Pristine Shitzus until the baby comes then everything is upside down.
    One of my customers has two Shitzus. Always tangle-free, gorgeous. House beautiful. Baby arrives. Shitzues matted furballs, house in disarray, Mommie no longer wears make-up and has perfect hair at 10AM.
    How can one little 8lb. baby disrupt a whole household?

Comment

Take a long hot bath! You deserve it. At times like these all I can think of is how it must have made that dog feel soo much better. Make sure and call the owner in a month or two and recommend bringing him back in so he doesn't get so bad, and hopefully they will spare both of you the pain of doing that again!

Comment

I'm tired from just reading this.
        "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
        Diane

Comment

Wow, I don't know how you could keep on.

I hope your husband gives you a very good massage right down to your toes. I hope you get a good nights sleep. too bad tomorrow isn't Sunday.

Comment

on top of my table........with way too much hair...a oay husky....was giving the stare.........it didn't seem that bad.....until he let loose.......a poop that was 3 x's......the size of a moose.....dematted for hours......my wrists in such pain.....oh what was i thinking...i must be insane.......time to go home now.....and get a good rest....and tell myself my job....is really the best!!!!lol

ok now sing this 3 x's and take a long bath(preferably in a jacuzzi tub).....and you'll be just fine!

Comment

Goldiphlox, I am laughing so hard I'm crying!!!!! You are so funny!

Spikey, I feel for you. I have felt that panicky moment when nothing is working. I hope today goes much better for you!

Comment

Tammy............BEST SHOT!!! You would have been done in 45 minutes and sipping a MaiTai with your hubby!! It is THE BEST!! just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by pawsforthought View Post
                  Benn there done that. I make my own rules and sometimes I break them. I stress that I am a stressfree groomer and will not put a dog through brushing out matts...but then have of them blow out and I can't bear to do a shave down...so I wrangle the rest out.
                  Pregancy and a new baby is often the circumstances when these situations occur. Pristine Shitzus until the baby comes then everything is upside down.
                  One of my customers has two Shitzus. Always tangle-free, gorgeous. House beautiful. Baby arrives. Shitzues matted furballs, house in disarray, Mommie no longer wears make-up and has perfect hair at 10AM.
                  How can one little 8lb. baby disrupt a whole household?
                  I've so seen that! We did a bichon that was always perfectly brushed out...he got an E comb, on body, and scissored head. Owner always looked perfect. Well, they had a baby. Last time they came in I had to take a ten to the dog!
                  Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Yikes Tammy. That really sucks. I do know what you mean about not wanting to stop once you've gotten so far. I had a collie like that today. Get a good night's sleep tonight, and maybe like mustluv said, hubby will give you a massage, lol.
                    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Tammy, I know you wanted to do the best for this dog, but a word from the wise, Don't keep doing it the hard way!!! if you do, you will end up like me , with no elbows to groom with!!! getcha some best shot, or some kind of shot!! lol save time and joints!! (I learned the hard way)

Comment

Originally posted by Allan View Post
                        Tammy............BEST SHOT!!! You would have been done in 45 minutes and sipping a MaiTai with your hubby!! It is THE BEST!! just my opinion
                        What's a "Mai Tai?"

I think I might have to get some of that "best shot" you keep talking about. Are you SURE I would have been done that fast?

If you all only knew the amount of money I charged them. Ungodly for these parts!

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Originally posted by goldiphlox View Post
                          on top of my table........with way too much hair...a oay husky....was giving the stare.........it didn't seem that bad.....until he let loose.......a poop that was 3 x's......the size of a moose.....dematted for hours......my wrists in such pain.....oh what was i thinking...i must be insane.......time to go home now.....and get a good rest....and tell myself my job....is really the best!!!!lol

ok now sing this 3 x's and take a long bath(preferably in a jacuzzi tub).....and you'll be just fine!
                          ROFL, you're too much! That was your best one yet!

Tammy in Utah

Comment

You poor thing! I hate those kinds of days. Best Shot shampoo really is awesome -- use it strong, let it set a good 10 minutes. ( I frequently do two baths on a thick dog like that, rinse really well and then do the Best Shot wash followed by my favorite conditioner Nature's Specialties Remoisturizer). Try the Best Shot Ultra Mist in a spray after the first HV and towel drying. You will be amazed at what it does to undercoat.

Comment

Tammy,Tammy,Tammy.............A Mai Tai is the most wonderful Hawaiian elixer(in a fruity mixture) topped with a little paper umbrella! oh yes, a slice of pineapple or mango.Three of them and you can paint the ceiling of your shop without a ladder!

Comment

Working...
                              X