Scissors from petedge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scissors from petedge?

I got my Supergators from petedge! I've been saving for them for a long time. In school, my instructor had A LOT of scissors (mostly Geib) and she let us try them all out to see what we liked the best. I loved the super gators and used them all the time.

So I got to use them today on PWD. They felt great in my hand but they seemed a bit stiff and noisy so I cleaned them well, oiled them and played with the adjuster for a bit. They're better now but they also don't seem to be cutting as well as I remember. Like they're not sharp enough.

Have any of you ordered your scissors from Petedge and found they are not "up to par"? Don't get me wrong, they're twice as good as my old ones but I guess I remember them being 10 times better...

Any thoughts?

I've never had a problem ordering shears, and I have ordered from Pet Edge several times. I do think new shears require a bit of 'break-in time' tho.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

You may need a new edge on the shear. Sometimes when they come directly from the factory, the edge is not hand honed, it is mass produced. If you see that the hair is folding, or catching at the tips, I would send them back to Geib for a touch up.

Comment

Just a thought,when you used them at school they were great,what the heck anything was great as you really didn't have much to compaire them too! lol They really are a good mid range shear and prob. need some tweeking.Invest in a tool that helps to tighten/loosen the screw nut.Alot of times this helps as you can see how the tension is,feels and how the blades glide.I also agree to elicit the help of a good sharpener,one on one if possible to help you w/this.As a note look to see if the tiny rubber washer is gone.If so that is your prblem with these shears.Good luck and let us know how you faired.

Comment

As I remember

with Geib the warranty is invalid if someone else sharpens them. I always have to adjust my tension, like them loser than the way they set them, but they sure should feel almost dangerously sharp.
          Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

I dont think its a petedge issue. I ordered Kamisori's (not from pet edge) and they came to me bending the hair instead of cutting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrooh View Post
              with Geib the warranty is invalid if someone else sharpens them. I always have to adjust my tension, like them loser than the way they set them, but they sure should feel almost dangerously sharp.
              I didn't mean for the sharpener to sharpen them,just to show how to set the tension on the shears.If they are new they should't need to be sharpened.Just may be a bad pair and the sharpener would know;if that is the case I would return them.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggone View Post
                If they are new they should't need to be sharpened.Just may be a bad pair and the sharpener would know;if that is the case I would return them.
                This is not true. Anytime I buy a new pair of shears, I make sure they sharpen them right then and there. The factory produced edge is not like a hand honed one. This happened to me a couple of times after purchasing shears from the shows. Even the high end shears can have a bad edge if they have been handled at a show. Send it back to Geib and have them put a nice edge on it for you.

Comment

My shears are doing the same thing!!

It kinda gets under your skin when you pay all that money for a decent pair of shears that won't cut just bend both of the pairs Ive bought are doing that.

Comment

Gee,I must be really lucky as I have only had two pairs of shears in over twenty years that didn't cut properly when I recieved them and they were "el cheapo's".I never buy shears at shows,rather order them to get the show price.To manny people picking them up and handeling them.I don't want demo anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggone View Post
                      If they are new they should't need to be sharpened.Just may be a bad pair and the sharpener would know;if that is the case I would return them.
                      Unfortunately, I have received two pairs of shears, one from Pet Edge (Geib Brand) and one from Ed Geib himself, and they both bent hair at the tips. Returned the pair to Pet Edge and started ordering through Geib (Good customer service). The pair Ed sent me were sharpened and returned to me. It was a "factory edge" problem, and a lot of new shears and blades are having this problem.

The factory edge is not always the best. If it is sharp, it often becomes dull faster than if hand honed. A lot of new blades and shears need to be sharpened before they are mailed to you, but sadly the people we order from often don't feel comfortable opening the packaging and sharpening them and then sending them to you calling them "new." You have to send them in for sharpening yourself.

Tammy in Utah
                      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Ok, I have had major problems with pet edge and shears!! The 10” curves I ordered did not cut at the tips (strait out of the box). I sent them back and they sent me a reconditioned set of 10’s (if you could call them that) that must have been used by someone for several times because much of the blade was missing due to sharpening. My curves I bought as replacements for my 10”bent shanks were much longer than the ones they were replacing. This means that two years prior I paid much more for 8” curves than I should have. I ordered 8” curves to replace the ones I thought were 10’s and they were hardly curved. They gave me the option to send them back (no-way) why so I could get somebody’s old used stuff. Please by directly from Gieb, they will stand behind their product. If you buy from pet edge you run the chances of getting reconditioned worthless equipment for the price of new. I don’ t know about you guys, but I would rather take my chances on ebay etc!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X