Choosing a business name???.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing a business name???.......

I was wondering if any of you know how I would go about finding if a name I have thought of for my business is already in use?? No matter which way I go , home based, store front, or renting space from a clinic my two best friends are opening. I need my own business name. I have thought up the name " Pawsitvely Purrfect Pet Spa" But I need to know if it is already in use. I know in this area it is not. But that doesn't say much since I'm in a growing rual area where there are only 4 others groomers in a 40 mile radius. Two groom out of their homes and one was my competetion two blocks down in the heart of town, and the fourth is my replacement at the clinic I just left( and she won't last long if she keeps going the way she has the last two weeks) Is there a place or way to do a wider search? Or have any of you heard this name before??

Try checking with the corporation commission in your state, they should have all the info you need...

Comment

Because I have not yet had my morning coffee, I do not remember the goverment office (it is a state office) that can do a search of registered business's (they need to be registered to be legal, atleast here). They can tell you if the name is in use or if there are any like spelled names that the consumer could confuse between the two. In Ohio even if the shops are 200 miles apart they can't get the same registered name. If at a late date one decided to franchise then a conflict could arise.

Comment

Here, you can go to the county recorder's office and you have to check that it is not the same in the same county. This may vary by state.

Comment

another thing to do is to COMPLETELY patent your name...any which way it can be spelled...pawsitively purrfect pet salon, shop, grooming, dog grooming,cat grooming,pet grooming, pawzitively purfect dog salon, etc etc...think of ANY which way it can be interpreted...and PATENT each and every one this way if you decide sometime in your life later on to franchise it or whatever...NO ONE can tell you that you cant because another salon has a similar sounding name. i know i wanted to do bow wow meow grooming, but im sure thats already taken in another state and i have already thought of another one which im not going to share LOL! but...its always worth it to check in every state that you can if someone has that name or something similar to it....that way if you decide to open a salon in another town/state/country whatever...you arent interfering with THAT persons business name.
          Hound

Comment

Very Common

Pawsitively Purrfect is a very common name for shops, at least the Pawsitively part is. So is pampered pets. I get calls all day long from shops called Pawsitively something so it can't matter much other than locally.

Around here you check with the county recorder locally but I don't know if you have to do it state wide.

Comment

Registered name

I did check with the corporation commission and in the State of MN there are a few pawsitive's ( a pet sitter and something else ) but nothing registered with the Secretary of State's office that is Pawsitively Purrfect.....I mailed in my form to registerd the name , I guess I will just have to see what happens. thanks for the ideas everyone!! I'll see if the registration goes thru then I'll work on the patent.

Comment

When you do your fictitious name, they will let you know. Also, think about making it unqiue and trademarking it. Example: My shop is called Faux Paws and there were many businesses named Faux Paws. I had it trademarked as Faux Paws Pet Spaw :-)

Comment

One thing that really helped me was looking on here, somewhere there's a bunch of registered business names. I wanted something that no one else had, so I read through the entire list (I think there's 1,000s of names, lol, at least several 100, but it sure felt like 1000's). I can't remember if it lists it by state, or just alphabetical, or what, but it gives a bazillion names.
                  Erin
                  No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

Working...
                  X