new job.how to get clients!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new job.how to get clients!?

im just started grooming at a vet clinic part time. im only there 2 days a week from 2 till 11.ive only been doing 2 or 3 dogs sometimes 4 or 5 if im lucky in those 2 day! what kind of advertising works to bring clients in?? the receptionist says shes going to send out mailers. and a pet supply store just opened nextdoor to the vet and i am going to put some of my business cards on their counter. i was thinking about the phone book but wouldnt that have to wait till almost next year to be printed? maybe i should try the pet section in the newspaper? what else can i do?!

Mary.......you are in an ideal situation! Your biz,the Vet,pet supply and mailers! Word of mouth is the best advertising and if you have everyone vouching for you,it'll take off very fast. I'm jealous!

Comment

Be sure to check in and out each client YOURSELF. Talk to them, let them know you want them to be happy. I say, "This is the first time I've groomed your dog. If it's too long, I can always take more off, if it's too short, it'll grow back, and since I keep records of each groom, I will know be able to groom it longer next time," or something like that.

Next, be sure to have the receptionists market for you. "Would you like your dog groomed while it's here? Would you like your dog groomed before you pick it up from boarding? (If you have boarding there). Oops, you said vet CLINIC, so you probably don't.

Mailers help, but don't offer discounts. I hate that, lol.

Maybe tell your clients, "If you like what you see, please refer your friends and neighbors." You don't even have to offer 'em anything (except a choice of appointments!!!), they will be happy to if they like the way you groomed their dog.

And always smile.

Tammy in Utah
      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

hmm i never thought about it like that. they printed the mailers today and they put a before and after shot on it too. of course i had no makeup on and my hair as a mess and i didnt know they were gonna put it on the mailer/flyer!!! oh well. hopefully it will bring in some more clients. i would post it on here for all to see but i dont know how! if anyone would be kind enough to post it for me i would love you FOREVER!!! lol

Comment

Word of mouth

Allan is right. There is no better way to advertise then word of mouth. When I left the clinic on the first I was really worried about what I was going to do next and if many of my clients would follow. I wrote a list out of about 175 clients I figured would follow me ( I had been grooming at this last place for about 4 years). I called 10 people to let them know that for the time being I would be willing to groom their pets in my home until I figured out my next step...... Those 10 people told their friends who told their friends and in the two weeks I thought I was supposed to be un employed I've done 40 dogs. If your talented and have a good connection with the animals and the clients in most cases the client do alot of the advertising for you.

Spikey is right too......discounts and coupons in my opinion are a bad idea.....I was told long ago by a mentor that " If you charge cheap you will be treated cheap" Most clients out there want what is best for their pet and if your services are the best in the area they will gravitate toward you.
          I think in 8 years of grooming I've only done one coupon and it was one of those 5 dollars off for a donation for the local humane society or food shelf during the holidays. I was really proud of that one and it even got me in the local papers!!

Comment

thanks!

ok so..
            #1 NO DISCOUNTS! lol i can understand why
            #2 word of mouth is best advertising
            #3 have receptionist market my services for me
            #4 NO DISCOUNTS
            spikey, they do offer boarding also but its not like a fancy boarding place,its just 5 kennel runs and a few large cages. i got one of those big grooming sticker signs from pet edge with the bright green background and stuck it on the front door. i figured since the place is in a good sized shopping center with lots of foot traffic everyday it would get peoples attention. but thanks everyone for the suggestions.i really do appreciate it.

Comment

puppy special?

i was thinking of starting a (puppy groom) 20 bucks for pups 4 months and under. it would include bath,blowdry,brush out,nail trimming,ear cleaning&plucking, and trimming the feet, around the eyes,and potty area ONLY. does this sound like a good idea?

Comment

Originally posted by mary1982 View Post
                i was thinking of starting a (puppy groom) 20 bucks for pups 4 months and under. it would include bath,blowdry,brush out,nail trimming,ear cleaning&plucking, and trimming the feet, around the eyes,and potty area ONLY. does this sound like a good idea?
                Well, Petsmart does it, so maybe it's ok, but I find puppies to be very difficult. I do not discount them for this reason. I let Petsmart groom them at first and then they come to me later after they've been trained, lol.

The problem with this is if the dog is matted ("puppy" can equal 9 months old, never been groomed). So just watch out for those kinds of puppies, lol.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Some more ideas:

Take cards to dog parks.

Ask your clients to refer friends. Don't be afraid to ask, everyone likes helping. When you see how pleased they are ask them to help your grow your business by telling a friend. You can go to vistaprint.com and have 250 business cards printed for free. On my cards it said:

I really LOVE my groomer and I think you will too.
                  My groomer is...
                  Please let her know that____________ sent you.

Comment

Somestimes Vets are happy to call you into the exam room to consult with clients , esp if the dog is matted. Make sure you introduce yourself to people bringing in puppies!!!!

Comment

the fliers have been sent out!

the receptionist sent out all 1000 fliers on tuesday! i ordered business cards from vista print and i put a buch on the counter and took a bunch next door to the petshop along with some leftover fliers. i also put some cards at the pizza shop nextdoor too. so im hoping people will start calling wanting their dogs and cats groomed.

Comment

A sign

Does the clinic have a nice, clear, bold lettered sign near the street that says: GROOMING ? Something easy to read and gets the point across. If you are artistic and handy, you could make a nice sign....or just have the vets pay to have one made...lol.

Comment

yup i bought the huge window sticker from pet edge with the neon green background with the dog sitting in the tub. its plastered on the front door.

Comment

Update!

the receptionist sent me an email tonight. here is what she wrote...
                            Hi there, not sure if my e-mail to you went our or not last night. They didn’t all seem to make it out but I wanted you to know that I have you BOOKED on Tues. You start at 2 and are scheduled up to and including 8PM. I have 7 total and the following week is already getting filled. we have been getting lots of calls from the fliers we sent out! Have a great holiday weekend. now that im starting to fill up should i start asking clients when they pick up if they want to pre book for every 6 to 8 weeks?? or maybe every 4 to 6 weeks?

Comment

Originally posted by mary1982 View Post
                              the receptionist sent me an email tonight. here is what she wrote...
                              Hi there, not sure if my e-mail to you went our or not last night. They didn’t all seem to make it out but I wanted you to know that I have you BOOKED on Tues. You start at 2 and are scheduled up to and including 8PM. I have 7 total and the following week is already getting filled. we have been getting lots of calls from the fliers we sent out! Have a great holiday weekend. now that im starting to fill up should i start asking clients when they pick up if they want to pre book for every 6 to 8 weeks?? or maybe every 4 to 6 weeks?
                              Awesome Possum Mary!!!! That's great!

Booked until 8 pm? Is the hospital/clinic open that late? This is where slot systems come in handy. If you could consider a shih tzu a 1 slot dog, a well-kept collie a 2 slot dog, and a great pyranese a 3 slot dog, this could help you get booked but not over-booked. It will be kooky at first, but eventually the receptionists catch on (for the most part).

In response to her last question, YOU ARE SO LUCKY!! Definitely start the pre-booking right away!!! I would tell the receptionists to ask them to pre-book, but that it depends on the type of dog as to how long, but 4-6 weeks is my favorite (or less), and 6-8 weeks for the big hairies (or less).

CONGRATS!!! That is so wonderful! I feel like you are me, living it all over again, lol.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Working...
                              X