Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killing and Preventing Ticks!

HELP!!!!

OK I've just started my week off relly badly. ON Saturday we had an incredible 14 dogs come through the shop. only 5 were groomings the rest were baths. We had one dog loaded with ticks come in which we did not notie he was loaded untill he had already been there a while. So we put him in the tub and started the bath and pretty much left him in the tub for a while until I could work with him. My clean dog tat come in weekly normally get to play a little bit together once things calm down. Well today one ofmy weekly clients calls me hysterical that she foung 15 tick on her dog!!! I explained to her what had happened and she was very upset and I pretty much can see that she might not come back even though she has come in weekly since november and the is the first time anything negative happenes. I told her to come in for a free flee and tick shampoo but she was headed to the vets... Mine you we fumigate daily and dirty dogs never mingle with clean dogs but aparently he dropped them when he came in. I called everyone else so they could bring there dogs in for a flea and tick bath as I do not want them to have a rpoblem on their hands, some has found 1 tick others none but 5 still came intoday for the baths and were very greatfull I called them and I found from 1 to 3 ticks per dog at most...

OK the only reason we took so many dogs is that we were going to be closed sunday(a day we normally open) and we only take tick dogs on weekdays and we set up the apointment for them only... but this dog looked only matted(Shavedown) not infested...

We do make a point of giving every dog that comes in to get a flea and tick shampoo first.

My question is how to you in your shop control ticks? We do not have flea problems here maybe a dog every now and then with 1 or 2 but our HUGE problem in PR are ticks!!! I have always worked out my home or at vet clinics and my shop has been opened since NOvember and this is the FIRST time soemthing like this happens... How do you compensate to an upset client about how sorry you are and I did tell her to put frontline or something on the dog for proteccion as the dog only goes from it's house to the shop and back...

(We have used Permethrin, Sevin(10%) and Tack-Tick at the shop and home,and we are now looking into haveing a professional come in monthly but how can I prevent further cross contamination of ticks from dog to dog???)

I am constantly cleaning tools, tables and tubs between dogs so what more can I do???

did you have them in the same kennel? I have never had a problem. Usually ticks stay on the dog that they are on. Start checking the dogs when they come in maybe.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

None of the dogs share kennels! I make sure to clena the kennels at the end of the day spraying Permethrin in them, then once I take a dirty dog out to bath the kennel is recleaned and sprayed again so that is why I am freaking out!

Comment

migrating?

I dont know but I would be quite surprised if they went from one dog to the other. 15 of them? Even less likely.

Jason

Comment

I agree that it is highly unusual for ticks to drop off a dog in a shop and re attach to other dogs. I won't say that it definitivley will not happen, but highly unlikely.

With the warm wet weather you all have in PR my guess is that all bug populations are exploding right now.

Where did they go between your shop and the time of the call? Nice weekend maybe the park? Even with wildlife as active as they are now, ticks can be lurking in their own yards.

Are the dogs using a grassy area with shrubs somewhere nearby to potty the dogs after the grooms?

Comment

I too was very surprised as almost all my clients use PP pads so I jsut have to let them loose on the floor and they use the Pads all by themselvs...
            these dogs were in the shop during the same time frame.

The owner alleges that her dog never leaves the house only to come to grooming or to her mothers house and has never been on grass.

We have huge problems with ticks here becasue of our climate and it is rare that a dog does not come in with 1 or 2 ticks and a few that coem in loaded but I mean loaded and these ticks are mean suckers you can spray everything with products and they will still crawl up the walls a way I think the ticks here are becoeming more resiliant to products available.

the dog also has never has Frontline or anything similar on him so that does not help.

I guess what freaks me out more is that a very good client calls me saying such a thing happened and now becasue it is supposedly the first and only negative experience she has had she might not come back and I adore her dog and I worry that if she takes him anywere else they wll jsut shave him down or mistreat him as he is a very lovey kissy dog that hates being crated and he has only been to us in his short life.

Comment

The first thing you should do is require all clients to apply a spot on flea/tick preventative. Next, dogs should only be on the floor by themselves. Two dogs should never have direct contact with eachother. Last the easiest way to kill ticks is to remove them and put them in a jar of rubbing alcohol.
              Good Luck!

Comment

Capstar

I dont usually have this problem. But we use what is called a capstar. Its a little pill we offer all clients pets that come in. Its a preventative because we get animals with fleas. It kills any flea thats on or might jump on your pet while they are in for grooming.

Comment

Is Frontline not availabe in PR? If ticks are that prevalent, then I would think most dogs would be on a monthly preventative. Frontline (or one of the other tick preventatives) could be offered for sale in your shop.

Comment

Flear are not a problem here so unless that pill works on ticks I don't think it would be much help.

Frontline is available but most people think that if their dog never leavs the ouse only to go to the groomers and back that they will never get ticks you would be surprised. I also get tons of dogs that only have Frontline applied every 3 months because people did not read the label compleatly; it says 1 month proteccion for ticks 3 month proteccion for fleas!

I am now requeing evey dog have some type of spot on treatment applied if they want to continue to come here. I am preparing a client information package to give to every client that comes to the shop..

we have since had no problems but I am being a bit more carefull.

Comment

Mayra,

Unfortunately by telling your client what happened by way of explanation you are kind of stuck, but you gave her wrong information. There is no way that 15 ticks went from one dog to the other. Ticks once they attach dont unattach unless they are done feeding (at which point they wouldnt reattach) or unless you remove them. Even if one or two loose ticks did fall off the infested dog, the chance of it getting to the other dog in that time period is low. If it was one tick or two, Id say "Ok, perhaps its possible" but 15? no way.

What probably happened is that other dog walked through a area where a bunch were sitting around waiting for a meal. It doesn't mean it wasn't near your place.. Say, if the owner walked her dog to go potty after pickng up or something, but it wasnt from the other dog.

I recommend frontline or advantix to all my clients who live in high tick area. It doesn't matter if fleas are a problem or not. Most clients are more yucked out by ticks then fleas and are happy to spend the money just to keep the ticks at bay.

Good luck!

PS By the way.. did you all know that ticks can live for 3 years????????

Comment

I had a dog in today that we removed 50+ ticks off of. I have never seen so many in my life as I have in the past month! I have a professional come in every 4 wks and spray the shop, its well worth the $30 he charges. I have never had a problem w/ a dog picking them up while being at my shop for grooming. YUCK is all I can say! LOL. I recommend frontline, etc and Ive debated carrying it at the salon - (anyone sell it?) but they give me the heebie jeebies.........

Comment

Originally posted by CountryCanines View Post
                          I had a dog in today that we removed 50+ ticks off of. I have never seen so many in my life as I have in the past month! I have a professional come in every 4 wks and spray the shop, its well worth the $30 he charges. I have never had a problem w/ a dog picking them up while being at my shop for grooming. YUCK is all I can say! LOL. I recommend frontline, etc and Ive debated carrying it at the salon - (anyone sell it?) but they give me the heebie jeebies.........
                          I offer Zodiac Spot on treatments. I have never had any complaints. You can buy them in the "Groomer's pack" and make a profit as well as offer an alternative to the more expensive spot on treatments for people on a budget who wouldn't spend the money otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by SCISSORHANDS View Post
                            I offer Zodiac Spot on treatments. I have never had any complaints. You can buy them in the "Groomer's pack" and make a profit as well as offer an alternative to the more expensive spot on treatments for people on a budget who wouldn't spend the money otherwise.
                            I agree. We carry biospot, and most people are much more likely to buy them because they are cheaper than what the vet carries. Plus it's right there where the dog gets groomed so it's very convenient.

I will say that if the dog is completely infested I will recomment a veterinary product instead. Biospot works great on a few fleas, but I won't recommend it for total infestation.
                            Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Well I too did not believe that the dog could have gotten the ticks at my shop but this person seamed very upset and what could I tell her.

I hve dogs come in with HUNDREDS of ticks on so when they drop ticks it's not pretty. A client refered a fumigating guy to us and we are having him treat our shop now but he said we shouldn't worry either.

I arry ZOdiac and am now requiring that all clients have frontline or a similar product applied if they do not I will sell them what I have.

I had another tick dog come intoday and he was compleatly covered in ticks... once I shaved him with a 10 blade I put soem ZOdiac on him even though I usually recomend dpoing it at least a day or 2 after a bath I knew the owner wouldn't do it so I jsut went ahead and put it on him.

anyone have any opinions on putting spot on treatments on right aFTER A BATH?

Comment

Working...
                              X