Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 bather,1 dryer question

okay just a question here...
    has anyone ever had 1 bather and 1 drier person? ie one person bathes one person dries the dogs. and if the drying person has a huge dog and the bather just washed another dog then the bather can start drying the smaller dog....and so on and so forth? i dont know how well this would work...but any ideas on it? i know last shop i worked at sometimes we'd do this with the bigger dogs...(collies,pyrs) and it usually got the dogs done faster....i'd bathe and dry one, she'd start bathing and drying another, and when i was done with the first one, move the 2nd to the table, get the 3rd into the tub, and id' start drying the 2nd etc etc.
    any ideas?
    Hound

Same thing at the last shop I worked. I think it works better because, if there is a designated drying area the dog's not sitting in a puddle of water in the tub.

Comment

Well, my theory is that as long as you're doing at least TWO things at one time, whether that be bathing/drying or bathing/grooming etc...you're saving time and making money.

By all means, it sounds like a winner to me, so long as you have enough people and can pay them. THe problem is whether the groomer can keep up, lol.

Tammy in Utah
      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

LOL! yes i often wondered why most grooming salons have like 2 or 3 groomers and only one poor bather! i often thought...if you just had one person drying the dogs and one person bathing them it would go MUCH faster. this way the groomers dogs are all washed and dried and ready for them (barring any unforseen accidents in the crates), and the bather can then leave when they are done (so say...20 to 30 dogs for 1 bather for 3 groomers instead of taking from say 8 in the morning until 1 or 2ish will only take them from 8 til say 11 or 12ish). this way everyone is happy LOL! although this would only work i guess if you had a drop everyone off in the morning ty pe salon.
        Hound

Comment

When I was a bather we had 2 bathers (me and another girl) and 1 groomer (my boss). Both of us bathers would/could rough out dogs, bath, dry and brush out so when they got to the groomer all she had to do was the haircut. We bathers also did touch ups on between groom dogs and poodle clean faces and feet. We would trade off...one would rough out dogs while the other bathed. Then we would both dry and brush out. The dogs all arrived during a window of time in the morning. We would do 25-30 dogs a day (mix of groom dogs, touch up dogs and bath only dogs). We bathers would do the occassional shave down. The groomer would do anywhere from 7 to 17 haircuts (she's actually pretty amazing to watch, no wasted moves whatsoever. I've seen her do a full trims on little dogs in 10-15 minutes easily. Of course most of our dogs are repeat customers on 3-4 week schedules so nobody was too overgrown) Now we are both groomers and don't have a bather and each do everything on our own dogs.

Comment

yes it just sounds so much easier to have more than one person bathing/drying or at least doing SOMETHING besides just doing grooms. i worked at one shop where it was 2 full time groomers who each had about 10 dogs each, then 1 part time groomer who had between 5 to 8 grooms a couple days a week...and i was running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to get everything done LOL!
            Hound

Comment

Working...
            X