Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does shaving really make them feel cooler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does shaving really make them feel cooler?

I'm so tired of shaving dogs, that's what I been getting lately. Owners would come in and tell me their dogs have been panting alot and they want to get them shaved "for the summer". I have newfie, golden, pom, yorkipoo, keeshound...etc.. all kind of breeds that want me to shave them. I am at a new place and I guess the groomer before me used to shave dogs alot. I have been raising the price but still got lots "shaving once a year" dogs. I'm wondering does shaving really benefit the dogs?

Nope getting a smoothie doesn't benefit the dog at all (unless it's severely matted and unbrushable), as a matter of fact it takes away alot of it's protections from bites, sunburn natural cooling system cause fur works both ways heating and cooling.

I have a pit mix who has the shortest of hair but has no heat tolerance and pants like a son of a gun all summer.

It benefits the owners not having to brush or have so much hair maybe it's just easier for them to justify to themselves by saying the dog will be more comfortable and sometimes vets tell them to get em shaved for their comfort.

Comment

If an owner tells me their dog is hot, I will shell out their underside (usually with a #7 blade) so that when the dog lays on the cool ceramic tile floors (prevalent here in San Diego) the dog will benefit from the shell out.

Comment

Like other have mentioned it really doesn't keep them cooler because it takes away their natural protection. However, a lot of people just don't have time to be brushing out their double coated dogs, or don't have the money to have a groomer do it. So I am more than happy to shave them for them. I mean, they aren't as cool as if they had a nice brushed out coat, but they are cooler shaved than if they have a huge thick, matted coat. And if I don't do it, they'll just take it to someone else, lol.

But the person that suggested shaving a strip down the underneath, that is excellent advice. I always suggest that when people say their dog is hot.
        Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Originally posted by rapuzzled View Post
          But the person that suggested shaving a strip down the underneath, that is excellent advice. I always suggest that when people say their dog is hot.
          That, and ever notice how most of these owners have obese dogs? I tell them, as kindly and unoffensively as possible, that the dog is too hot because it needs to lose weight, but I'll shave thm if they want me to.

Comment

Like other have mentioned fur insolates a dog it can keep them cooler during the heat or warmer during the summer.

I also have a chunk of matted fur that has been washed (it looks like a pelt) and I lay it on their skin to show them that only when the pet is matted does it not provide insulation.

Comment

I get a lot of shave downs now to for the summer. As far as I am concerned people are just lazy but if they pay me to do it Ill do it.

Comment

I read all

and not for sure. Insulation versus a warm coat. But I do think that a person wearing shorts and a tank top feels so much cooler around the house than with Levis and a sweater that they truly think it kinder to take off the winter clothes. I usually suggest a big thinning coat groom, such as heavy duty Mars Coat King-ing. Many of my people like that, but still some want it shaved.
                Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

shaving dogs for cooling

I agree with everyone above. I tell my people it's actually better to keep the coat if possible, but, like all before me said, I will shave them and charge a lot to do it.

astrordog

Comment

I'm of the opposite opinion of most of the previous posts and find very few dogs that have been shaved down die of heat stroke in our area. Many ungroomed chows die every summer here. My own australian mix dogs were always bathed, brushed and groomed all year. In May of each year and again throughout the summer they were 7 kenneled and always much happier.

I am on the desert and many breeds just don't belong in this area.
                    If you look at the "native" breeds of Mexico, Africa and other hot areas they are generally slick-coated dogs. Many people in this area get their own hair cut shorter in the summer. I know if I am really warm, my hair gets put in a pony tail away from my neck. When my husband worked construction he grew his beard all winter but as soon as it got warmer in the spring, he shaved it off. Many breeds with thick, heavy coats needed insulation from harsh weather, thorns, predators but not from the heat! Dogs like Samoyeds were breed for arctic conditions and people brought them to arrid climates.
                    When grooming, I always use a sun screen rinse on dogs that get shaved down and have only seen one dog sunburn. It was a American Eskimo and the day after it was shaved down the owners spent the day at the reservoir on their boat, don't know WHAT they were thinking!!

Ask your customers, they'll tell you how much happier their shaved down samoyed is when the temperatures reach record breaking highs.

Comment

The reason you and your husband feel cooler without beard and hair in a ponytail is because humans release heat by sweating. We secrete liquid out of our pores onto our skin which then evaporates which entail cools us down. Dogs don't sweat from their skin to release heat. They pant and sweat from their pads.

Comment

Dogs with white fur and pink skin, like samoyeds, suffer MORE in the summer when they're shaved.

What does a bald man do in the summer to protect his head from the heat and sun? Put on a ball cap! My father-in-law doesn't go out and jump on his tractor without covering his bald head NOT because of sun damage, but because he says it's HOT.

What I tell people is that their dogs are hot because they have a lot of undercoat stuck in there, and that we can sweat and the dogs just pant to cool themselves.

Go ahead, shave down that samoyed, malamute, newfie----and then watch them pant all the way out the door, LOL.

Tammy in Utah
                        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Oh yeah, and I forgot to add that most of these "hot" dogs are FAT! Gee, I wonder why he's so hot? LOL

Tammy in Utah
                          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

hehe. Well here is what I think. I think that a dog with a nice brushed out clean coat stays cooler then a dog with dirty matted coat, and a shaved dog stays cooler then a dog with a dirty matted coat.

If you know your customer is a OAY customer who doesn't keep his dog cleaned and brushed then you can be sure that shaving it will probably keep it a bit warmer then carrying around lots of mats and filth and shedding hair thats not falling out.

Sooooooo the answer to the question "Does shaving really keep a dog cooler " Is "Sometimes"

I always try to educate my clients about this and about a well brushed coat being protection. To tell the truth when confronted with this, the truth usually comes out. They just don't want all that long hair around the house. And while technically the dog keeps shedding, it sure is less messy. And thats what they want.

Comment

Originally posted by pugnacious View Post
                              I'm of the opposite opinion of most of the previous posts and find very few dogs that have been shaved down die of heat stroke in our area. Many ungroomed chows die every summer here. My own australian mix dogs were always bathed, brushed and groomed all year. In May of each year and again throughout the summer they were 7 kenneled and always much happier.

I am on the desert and many breeds just don't belong in this area.
                              If you look at the "native" breeds of Mexico, Africa and other hot areas they are generally slick-coated dogs. Many people in this area get their own hair cut shorter in the summer. I know if I am really warm, my hair gets put in a pony tail away from my neck. When my husband worked construction he grew his beard all winter but as soon as it got warmer in the spring, he shaved it off. Many breeds with thick, heavy coats needed insulation from harsh weather, thorns, predators but not from the heat! Dogs like Samoyeds were breed for arctic conditions and people brought them to arrid climates.
                              When grooming, I always use a sun screen rinse on dogs that get shaved down and have only seen one dog sunburn. It was a American Eskimo and the day after it was shaved down the owners spent the day at the reservoir on their boat, don't know WHAT they were thinking!!

Ask your customers, they'll tell you how much happier their shaved down samoyed is when the temperatures reach record breaking highs.
                              I think that everyone is referring to a well taken care of coat. A brushed out undercoat free dog is going to be cooler.
                              However, if the dog is thick and matted, they are not going to be better off, they'll be better off shaved.
                              Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Working...
                              X