How the bather gets paid....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the bather gets paid....

I so far groom alone at my salon but am in the process of searching for a good groomer (hint hint to anyone in Alabama) Anyway....as of now I have a bather that works PT for me, she also helps out a lot in the salon. I remember at one salon I groomed at I paid the bather $3 a dog or something like that.

For you salon owners - do you supply the bather or do your groomers pay her? Im not sure which way I should go in this situation yet so I thought I would ask Thanks

Well, I don't have any direct answers, but one thing to keep in mind is, do you have a lot of bath-only dogs, labs, pointers, etc, that get only a bath/nails/ears only? THESE DOGS pay for your bather and the bather does everything on these dogs---a groomer shouldn't need to touch 'em. So, a $38 lab and you pay the bather (for example) $8/hour, you just made $30 in less than an hour. Why pay a groomer 50% or why should you do it?

Ok, so that's part of it. If you hire another groomer, they are saving a LOT of time having a bather. So---instead of paying 50% they make 45% and the bather is provided. That's a luxury, in my opinion, having a bather. Just my 2 cents.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

First of all it is ILLEGAL for Groomers to pay the bather. As employees, they can't pay anyone in the business... As IC, they can not be forced to pay or provided someone who will bathe. In fact as IC, they have to supply their own shampoo, towels, etc.

I pay my bathers an hourly rate they are responsible for bathing, drying, cleaning ears. They also do the cleaning, the laundry and any other general help. This gives them a fullt-ime 40 hour per week job. I do offer them COMMISSION of 25% for any dogs they do from start to finish and the groomer doesn't need to touch (Bath only dogs, bath, nails and ears dogs, etc).

BEFORE anyone complains that I only pay them 25%, remember they get an hourly rate as well not either or.

Comment

[QUOTE=Gracy Rose;
        BEFORE anyone complains that I only pay them 25%, remember they get an hourly rate as well not either or.[/QUOTE]

I remember when I first got in this business I was a bather for a petsomethinoranother and I only got 10% for groom baths and 15% for bath only dogs. Thats why I only last a minute as a bather. So 25% of a bath plus an hourly rate is great for a bather. Where I worked before they paid the bathers 25%shorthair baths, 35% long hair, 40% trim up. 50% shave down, 60% for full groom bathe your own dogs.

Comment

I think that bathers should be paid hourly.

At a shop were I once had worked at (this was 1976-7ish) the bathers were paid a set amount for "bath only" dogs. On groom dogs they dematted, bathed, dryed, trimed nails and did ears and the shop paid them $4 or $5?? per dog plus the groomer was required to 'tip' them an additional $1 per groom dog.

They also came in 1 to 2 hours before the groomers to have the dogs preped for us to start groming. Yes, we were spoiled and this was a high volume shop in a very economicaly depressed area of town.

This shop also paid its groomers on a sliding scale. I liked that system, it was a motivator and a fast good groomer can make big dollars. I have used it over the years in other shops. The down side - every dog needs to be checked and combed through by the manager to insure a quality job as some groomers will attempt to do rush jobs to increase there gross grooming amounts.

Now I'm leaning towards a per hour pay system for bathers and groomers.

Comment

wow I didnt know that was illegal lol - not shocking, I dont think much my exboss did was legal at all LOL. Anyway.......that answers that.....

Comment

now i think gracy's way of paying the bather is fair. its not fair to expect the bather to bathe a bunch of dogs, THEN have to work on those Bath only dogs too! i was paid 4 dollars, and 3 dollars a dog and cat respectivly. i made next to NOTHING weekly (about 50 to 80 dollars). now if i was paid hourly i would have made more money doing these dogs for the groomer. i made NOTHING doing these dogs for her. she collected the money while I did the work. now if you give the bather an option as to wether or not they want to groom a few of the bath only dogs....then thats up to the bather to decide if they want to do that or not. the first grooming salon i worked at i was paid hourly and ONLY expected to bathe and dry those dogs. i didnt do nails, ears, pads or even brush out a dog. just bathe and dry. thats it. i cleaned the bathing room, washed the towels (on an exceptionally busy day the groomers would help out if they popped in and noticed a full load of towels), cleaned the cages out, refilled the shampoo system and emptyed the shop vac (it was a wall mounted one). by the time i was done washing and drying about 25 to 30 dogs a day (i worked 3 days a week) i was done for the day. if it was an early day i could stay later and scrub the walls and the floors down if i wanted to but that was optional. the last shop i worked at i was paid per dog, bathed dryed, she showed me how to do nails, ears, and pads, (again i wasnt paid extra to do this...this was my supposed training i was getting for free), cleaned the bathing room (ie rinsing down teh tub, dumping the garabage, wiping off the counter and walls and putting the dryers away). alot of time i spent sitting around waiting for the next appointment to come in...she would let me do some of teh groom dogs for her (ie brush out a yorkie or a collie or a great pyr (she had 3 of each that came in (collie/ and pyr) about eveyr 4-5 wks) and i did this FOR free. now i sorely regret agreeing to that...i was supposed to get health insurance also. crock of **** that was! i repeatedly asked her about when i would start grooming...she ignored me then one day when i emailed her about it...she called me on the phone and asked me a bunch of questions but at the beginning of the converstation she told me i could tell her to screw off if i didnt like what i was hearing! alarm bells should have been going off in my head and i should have just walked away then...but i stupidly didnt.)
              now i hope that everyone compenstates their bathers fairly....the last shop she worked at she said she would toss teh bather a few bucks to bathe her dogs for her and she groomed them. well i guess this bather would do a bunch of dogs, do a ****** job on them, and if he needed help he had to pay his help out of the monye HE made...so....i would just do hourly or pay enough per animal to make it worthwhile so your bather is making enough at the end of the day to actually be able to live on.
              JMHO
              Hound

Comment

AND DON'T FORGET... the bather gets 100% of all tips on dogs that she completed!!! I don't give her a portion of the groomers tips because I pay her for that but she ABSOLUTELY gets her tips.

Comment

Like Gracy Rose, I will pay the bather 100% of tips on dogs SHE did alone.

I will give her 1/3 of the tips we get on dogs we both worked on.

Tammy in Utah
                  Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I pay my bather a salary...myself and the other groomer split the cost..she grosses 200 a week and works about 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                      I will give her 1/3 of the tips we get on dogs we both worked on.

Tammy in Utah

I leave this to the groomers to decide, some amy share tips some may not. Yes, this can create animosity, but we all know how to get what we want.

Comment

I pay my bather hourly. She does everything, from bathing and expert fluff drying, dematting, laundry, cleaning, takes out the trash, she's great!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X