Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot spot help please!!

Hey guys!
    I need some ideas to help my 13 yr old poodle feel better. Every now and then (less than once a year) he will scratch a hot spot on his cheek, normally I clean it, apply topical antibiotics and if he wont leave it alone I will put a elizabethan collar on him and it heals up in a few days. Not this time, he has a collapsing treachea that has slowly gotten worse to the point that he cant tolerate the collar on at all. So now I clean it, apply the ointment, he tries to rub it off, causing it to itch and he starts scratching at it again...
    He is miserable, Im frantic (ya'll are going to think Im nuts but he is the most important thing in my life!) and the sore is just getting bigger!
    Thanks guys!
    Tammy and Trilby

Hi Tammy

(That's weird calling someone on here by my same name, lol)

I have seen this new thing that may or may not work, it almost looks like a black tire wrapped around the dog's neck, it's black and it's thick and round, it's the "new" type of thing to keep your dog from licking/chewing etc...I believe I saw it in PetEdge.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

davis makes a chlorihexidine ointment that is fabulous on hot spots. that said, without getting at the root of the problem, you know it will be a recurring problem.
      Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
      "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

I use Destinin (?sp) baby rash cream. Works very well for me.(No - not me - my dogs)

Comment

EQyss has Micro-tek medicated shampoo and spray that suppose to be wonderful for hotspot, I would give a try.

Comment

Try putting him on ZD it is a hypo allergenic food. Hills makes it. It helps most dogs with allergies, skin issues. You can also do what I did with my poodle, wack her nails way back. File the rough edges, so she can't do any damage. She to sometimes gets a spot on her cheek. When she does I know she got into some wheat gluten one way or another. She is allergic to wheat gluten.

Comment

LOL!!! Dexy! that was funny! hehehe

Comment

Try giving the dog benadryl to stop the itching and that should help. If it happens once a year, it is probably tree pollon or some other thing like that. Right now tree pollon is really high.
                If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I use two things...gold bond powder or Lavendar oil.

Comment

Okay, I will give you both remedies since he is your.

LISTERINE- good ole' mouth wash: it is an antiseptic, cools, and won't make him sick if he licks it although he won't like the taste. Original flavor use with cotton balls.

Althletes Foot Spray- Hot spots are basically the same type of thing, flare up with heat and itchiness.

Comment

My Birdie cocker would get a hot spot once in awhile. I found Bactine to be excellent for her. Yeah. Bactine from the drug store. Worked great.
                      Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

I am for the Listerine. I have used that with great results. We have also used bleach/water spray on my own GSDs. You need to dry out the infection. Sometimes creams will keep it too moist.

I also believe that you need to check his diet. My old GSD used to get a hot spot every Spring until I finally found a diet that worked for her. I had her on a fish based protein diet. I think you too are seeing the results of food and seasonal allergies.

Comment

Working...
                        X