My New Bather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Bather

I have to say I'm quite happy with her so far.

She'd been apprenticing under me for a week or two, and she is SO not afraid to jump right in. She gets the nails, without fear, even though I warned her that Boo is a biter, she didn't fear it at all. I have a Groomers Helper right there for her but the table is in an awkward place at the moment and she's still learning "how" to position the dogs to do them, etc...Anyway Boo tried to nip at her and she just pushed Boo's face away and said "No!" and kept working, like it was nothing, lol.

When I first started grooming I would have been terrified!!! lol

The dogs have been clean, light, fluffy, and she even dried a standard poodle pretty darn good.

The hard part for me now is scheduling and figuring out how many dogs she can do part time right now. Anyway, it is SOOOO nice having a bather!

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

I WANT ONE TOO........ I wouldn't be so tired..... I have a girl who helps after school 1 day a week and it helps so much.

Comment

Best of luck with your new bather. You will be amazed how much more you can accomplish and how much better you feel at the end of the day. My boss recently hired a bather. She was really good and seemed to be happy. After 2 months she went to lunch one day and never came back. It was so wierd. She seemed fine that morning, went to lunch, never returned. We called her cell phone, no answer. Later we called her home phone, she answered and when my boss identified herself she hung up. A week later she walked in the door when the place was full of customers and set her key on the counter and said "I just wanted to return your key". Thats it. No explanation. Too wierd. Hope you have better luck.

Comment

The problem

The problem with bathing is, it is such physical work, and honestly the pay is so poor as a rule. Its no wonder some burn out and leave.
        I have done it, and you just can barely move at the end of the day.
        I would suggest that if you have one and you are happy with her,
        Please let her know. Often.
        I so think a lot of business owners and managers, get in the bad habbit of only mentioning things that don't suit them. Such a downer way to
        be employed.
        Share a grooming tip once in awhile. Send out for pizza. Give her a small
        15 minute break some time. A cold coke even. Doesn't take much for
        someone to feel appreciated.
        Don't only speak to her when something is not quite right.
        Be the kind of boss you would like to have. Not a buddy, but someone they can respect.
        I hope I get busy enough to hire one someday.

Comment

congrats. once you go bather....you can't go back! lol but really, when you find someone that does a good job, they are sooo indispensible.(gee i think i'm getting old, spellcheck please!) i agree with redbird 100% about telling people not only when your not happy, but also when you are happy. our bather we have now, is the best bather we have ever had. still, the owner only mentions negative things...and it's usually something that the bather could not control. i stand up for him though, because he won't say anything...and i always go out of my way to tell him what a good job he does. because i know no matter what, she won't. he does make good money though. and i share all my tips with him...and i get some mucho tips!

Comment

I hope she works out for you. A good bather is a good thing to have. I like to have them not to be experienced since they will be more willing to learn how you do things, and how your standards are. So many times I have hired experienced bathers only to find we would butt heads.

Comment

Wow, that groomer that left one day---that IS weird. I would have been worried sick that something happened!

REDBIRD:

Thank you, and you're right. So far I have told her, "Oh my gosh this dog smells great, you did an awesome job on her," and I always tell her to take breaks, and she gets a lunch if she's there for a certain number of hours---but definitely I tell her to take a break.

I will try to think of ways to reward her for her hard work.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Congratulations, Tammy. Bathers are so great when they do it right!

"I will try to think of ways to reward her for her hard work."

Remember money is always nice! Special bonuses and incentives are great. If you have a really great $$$ day because of her hard work, share !

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                  I will try to think of ways to reward her for her hard work. Tammy in Utah

It doesn't have to be extravagant, or over the top- when I had employees I would spring for lunches sometimes, make sure I remembered birthdays with cake and cards, give a gift certificate to a place they liked, etc. I also did monetary bonuses over the holidays, when everyone just becomes exhausted!lol
                  Oh, I also offered a one week paid vacation after one year of employment.

Comment

Yay!! So happy to hear it's going well. It's only going to get better from here on out. We hope anyway. I love my girl. She's awesome. If she finishes drying a dog before the next one comes, she starts washing windows or dusting, whatever. She's awesome and I try to tell her often, but I'm going to do it more. I have a hard time telling her when things are wrong, which they aren't usually.

Anyway, Tammy, I wanted to update you on how it's going with my girl. Last time I talked to you I was nervous that I wasn't going to get more dogs to fill my days now that I had eaten into my reserve of being booked one week out. That was a little over a month ago...I'm now booked a week and a half in advance, and 2 wks for Saturdays. It's awesome. My grooms go out the door looking so much better and I'm doing more per day. Before I was struggling to get 5 awesome grooms out the door in 5-6 hours, and paperwork, and customer service. Now I'm doing your slo method and have 8 slots a day, and halfway through the day I'm thinking, "I should'e booked more dogs" but then I'm happy I didn't and get out early in a great mood. I'm so happy with what's happening, and now I'm just wondering if I should hire another one come fall like I was hoping I'd need to do. Depends on how much faster/better she gets. Keep us posted on her progress.
                    Last edited by ejmj30; 05-13-07, 03:07 PM. Reason: oops, mispelling changed the whole message, lol
                    Erin
                    No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

Oh, Erin, I needed that reassurance more than you know, thank you.

I'm so worried. I just don't want to lose her, and I want to do more dogs. I'm now booked out about a week, with a lot of pre-booked clients down the road. Why do I fear?

Tammy in Utah

Comment

She sounds like a keeper!!! Congrats, Spikey. Like others have said, make sure she knows how much you appreciate her. Pizza and burgers, a Starbucks if she likes that, even sports or theater tickets once in awhile. We all want a pat on the back.

Dawn123, I had a bather walk out on me too-no warning, no reason ever given. She also left at lunch, and never came back. I was stuck with a Standard Poodle who had not been started, plus all the finishing to do, and a few more baths. She was a great bather, too in the month or so she was there. Her boyfriend came by a few days later to pick up her $$. Nerver saw or heard from her again. Weird. Moral of the story-never let your bather leave for lunch!!!LOL
                        Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KarlaSnyder View Post
                          Dawn123, I had a bather walk out on me too-no warning, no reason ever given. She also left at lunch, and never came back. I was stuck with a Standard Poodle who had not been started, plus all the finishing to do, and a few more baths. She was a great bather, too in the month or so she was there. Her boyfriend came by a few days later to pick up her $$. Nerver saw or heard from her again. Weird. Moral of the story-never let your bather leave for lunch!!!LOL
                          How funny, we also had a standard poo waiting when she didn't come back. She just showed up one day looking for work. My boss who was 8 months pregnant at the time told her "I'll hire and train you but you gotta promise me you will stick with it at least thru April while I'm on maternity leave". So my boss got back from maternity leave on April 24th and the bather disappeared on April 26th. I guess she lived up to her part of the bargain but geez she could have just let us know if she wasn't happy so we wouldn't have booked so many dogs. Even funnier, she has never called or stopped in to get a last paycheck. I saw her walk by a couple days ago so I know she is still in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn125 View Post
                            Best of luck with your new bather. You will be amazed how much more you can accomplish and how much better you feel at the end of the day. My boss recently hired a bather. She was really good and seemed to be happy. After 2 months she went to lunch one day and never came back. It was so wierd. She seemed fine that morning, went to lunch, never returned. We called her cell phone, no answer. Later we called her home phone, she answered and when my boss identified herself she hung up. A week later she walked in the door when the place was full of customers and set her key on the counter and said "I just wanted to return your key". Thats it. No explanation. Too wierd. Hope you have better luck.
                            Dawn why is this? Over the years I have had a groomer do something similar. She was all excited about having a certain dog (can't remember who) on the next day. Has fun all day, goes home and never shows up again. Never heard from her, never answered calls never came to get her tools.

Comment

Tammy, don't worry, I was just gearing up to do a round of advertising to get some more customers and fill in the gaps. I'm so glad I didn't, cause I"m booked. I feel bad not being able to offer customers an appt within a week. Yeah, I know they should prebook, and many are now that they see that I'm so crazy, but still I feel bad, and feel like sometimes I should squeeze them in. The last couple days I have actually had fun working, all through the day going back and forth thinking, I should've/can take more dogs...no, that's why I booked it like this, so I wouldn't be overwhelmed...I can do just one or two more baths...no...etc, etc. It's great. At this rate, I really will need another bather by holidays. I already got a friend to agree to help on Saturdays. I'm getting my 2 tub hooked up, and it will make things go by a lot faster. I won't take too many more dogs, we'll just get out sooner.

Speaking of enjoying getting out sooner. I pay my bather hourly, anybody give like an extra hour's pay if you get out a certain time to give incentive to work hard/fast so we can both get out sooner, but not cut into her payment? Not am impossible time limit, but one you'd have to push for and not slack.
                              Erin
                              No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

Working...
                              X