Toby, our new family member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toby, our new family member

Well it has been almost a week since we had got this little Shih Tzu rescue dog. He has fit right into our family. He likes to sleep on our bed. He thinks he needs to go to the shop (garage) with me to help me groom. He is so cute. He will sit on the chair that is next to the tub and watch me bathe the dogs. From the chair he will go to the grooming table get on that and watch me groom them on the grooming bench (work bench that I groom all the small dogs on, attached to my wall). He never barks, he just watches. Today he got a little bored, maybe I was taking too much time, and got his toy and brought it over to me to play with him with. All I had to do was throw it for him a couple of times and he was happy and watching me again.
    The first night we got him we went to the pet store to get him his collar and a toy. While there I happened across a book on Shih Tzu. Opened it up and there was a beautiful dog in full coat. I showed it to my hubby and all he could say is "His hair is that long?" The only Shih's he has seen are the ones I have groomed and they are usually kept short. He was in shock. It was probably a good thing he didn't know they had long hair until he was ours, he may have decided against it. Oh well too late. He is ours and he is part of the family and we all just love him.
    I would post a pic (I tried but I have to resize them, I'll figure that out later) but couldn't do it. Darn, I had just learned how to do it on the other board and now I'm going to have to learn all over again.
    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
    Diane

I keep saying that they are the best little dogs. As a breeder I guess I'm bias but as a Shih Tzu Mama I can't get enough
    "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
    Nancy

Comment

I'm actually ready to get another one. He is just a great little guy. With my luck if I did get another one it would be a bad bad bad dog. lol I'm just so happy with this guy. I didn't think a little guy could catch my heart so fast!
      Diane

Comment

Congratulations on your little rescue! I luuuvvv Shih Tzu's. I don't have one right now, but they are sooo cute! I love their long eyelashes! I just rescued a little Persian cat so I know how nice it is to see a rescue fit into your family and do well. Can't wait to see a picture!

Comment

I keep telling my husband just one more pleeeeeeeeese He can't resisit them any more than I can. Our Little girl Bella has him wrapped around her paws. but then again so do the other 3
          "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
          Nancy

Comment

Congrats Thank you for rescuing a little doggy.

Comment

I was wondering how things were going with Toby. He sounds like a real sweetheart! It's guys like that, that give Shih Tzu's a great name. Keep us posted!

Comment

I love hearing rescue stories with happy endings. Makes me smile!

Shih tzu's can be such darlings too, and lucky for you your husband didnt know about the hair! Do you plan on keeping him in coat?? I hope he is as good about grooming as he is about watching you groom!

Comment

minkyboodle, I don't plan on keeping him in coat. I don't show dogs (too much work) he is just a pet so there isn't any need to keep him long. I'll probably keep him 2-3 inches long. When I first groomed him he was an absolute doll (hope he doesn't change).

So far the only bad thing I have seen him do is chase the cats!! He seems to just LOVE them. Hopefully he'll get use to the cats. The cats aren't use to a dog chasing them either, this is new to them. The other dogs just look at them and go about whatever.
                  Diane

Comment

If you don't mind sharing where did you get him? I have a family here is Colorado with a Shih tzu named Toby who was looking for a new home for him, I wonder if it is the same little fellow? Please let me know.

Scoop

Comment

I was wondering how he was doing...I wanna shihtzu. I think that when I move out of my parents house that might be my first doggie!
                      Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

rapuzzled, Toby is doing fine. He is actually starting to bark, only when he is playing with the others. He goes to work with me every day and loves to see the clients come and go, never makes a sound. He will sit in the chair that is next to the tub and watch me bath the dog and then gets up on the grooming table that I'm not using and watch me groom the dog. He is just a charmer. I didn't think they had such great personalities. I've almost decided that I could really enjoy having more of them around, if they were like him, which they probably won't be. He has found himself a home for life. We just love him. I'm so glad I was the groomer he came to when he needed to be groomed and then rescued. That was my lucky day.
                        Diane

Comment

Working...
                        X