No announcement yet.

OUCH! My first bad injury as a groomer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OUCH! My first bad injury as a groomer!

Well....I knew my day was coming when I'd get broken in sorta speak! Anyway I was lifting properly with two people a Chow Chow mix up on the table (about 1 1/2 ft. off the ground). I had the front part of the dog and coworker got the back and without any warning the dog grabbed (bit) my right hand and held on and twisted the heck out of my wrist and arm! Thankfully my coworker was there to help get the dog to let go. It seemed like a few minutes but was probably only 15 seconds intil he let go. The dog was a sweetheart in the tub, drying, brushing earlier but I guess had enough of grooming when it came time to get up on the grooming table. I thought maybe I just had a bad bite and sprain but after two days of having my hand swell way up like a balloon I decided I better get it checked out (xrayed) and yep it's fractured and sprained fun fun! So got sent home with meds, brace and a light duty note for atleast two weeks, yeah right I can greet customers in a dog suit and wave cars in with my left hand ha ha! So I got to take one day off and it's back to work tommorrow. I hate to be off work anyways...I really love my job. They'll find something for me to do there intil I can groom fulltime again soon. Ya know this was a new client and as the owner walked away said "Good Luck" he has no manners! and then I remembered her saying when I asked for his name she said "Baxter" but my hubby calls him B*st**D!

That really sucks. I would be screwed if I got bit like that. I work alone. Have a drink and kick back and relax.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

aww man thats sucks! i hope you heal fast. i swear almost every chow ive done hates to be picked up and will usually bite.

Comment

Chows in general are very touchy when being picked up. So that was probably the Chow in the mix.... Now you say he was good till it was time to put him on the table again..... Again,Chows don't like being picked up. Actually, alot of big dogs don't like being picked up. Think about it. How many people pick them up. But I have especially had problems with Chows. I think it's pretty much a trust issue. Anyway, when you go to pick up a chow, or any other dog that you're unsure of. Have 2 people if possible. i person takes him by his collar at the back of his neck with your left hand(if you are righty) and then supporting him under his chest with your right hand. the other person picking up his back end. When you have him by the collar,keep your elbow extended upward away from the dog, this way if he whips around to bite you, there is enough room for you to dodge the bullet(bite) and then if he does try to bite, you can muzzle him first.Alot of times there are dogs that just don't like being picked up, and then once on the table they're fine.

Oh, and I'm sorry about your injury. Hope you heal quickly.

Comment

ouch....... sorry to hear about your hand. alot of groomers i have worked for refuse chow chows. thats the only dog that has bit me in 5 years i have been working with dogs. good luck hope you get back to work soon. laura

Comment

Luckily the place I work at has tables that lower almost to the floor and dogs can walk up by themselves.

Comment

Ouch!!! Sorry to hear about your injury. Hope you heal fast and are able to get back to work soon.
              "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
              Diane

Comment

ChiFan, long time no see. How are things with you? Your mother? I hope positive news.

I'm sorry to hear about your bite. My worst bite was from a chow mix (mostly chow) and it hurt something awful. Yours is way worse. A dog fractured your hand?!!! That is UNbelievable!!! Take care of yourself so you can get back to work.

Tammy in Utah
                Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

hm....yes most dogs DONT like to be picked up especially the bigger ones. some cling to the floor, some flail around like crazy, others tolerate it with their toes spread wide...i can see not having a choice in lifting the dog into the tub...and onto the table...i remember when my boss (last shop) had a dog come in...oh shes really friendly etc etc she is really good for the bath and ****. yeah right...was fine until i went to lift her into the tub...i got lifted lips and a growl. i come back out...oh yeah..she dosnt like to be picked up...says this with a stupid smirk on her face...i swear some people are so stupid!
                  needless to say that SHE lifted that dog into the tub...NOT me! also she'd complain when she'd get the head end of the dog (say a collie or great pyr) to lift into the tub. i say hey thats the heavier section of the dog and i cannot lift it all the way into the tub when she was stronger than i was. yet some dogs i could lift into the tub and onto the table by myself and she wouldnt even try. Ugh. sorry to hear that you got bit...she refused chows herself also. i dont know if she ever worked on any though. some dogs are just funny about stuff like that.
                  Hound

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice. Believe it or not I was doing the lifting part exactly the way Goldiphlox described with a helper, I had the front. Somehow that darn dog got ahold of my arm first and then bit my wrist and held and TWISTED the heck out of it. It happend so fast that I wish I had it video taped so I could see exactly how the heck he managed to jump/flip back that fast and get ahold of me. I

Comment

Working...
                    X