Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do all of you who work for kennels work a 6 day week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do all of you who work for kennels work a 6 day week?

I had an inquiry about whether or not I wanted to interview for a job at the kennel where my dog goes to play time but the only bummer is that they work Monday-Saturday.

I don't know about anyone else but I really Like having Sunday and Monday off cause that's my husbands weekend too and since he works third shift these are the only days I get to see him.

Was just wondering if a six day week was the norm for kennels.

Depends on the Kennel I guess. The one I worked at was a Vet Hospital with a boarding kennel side. I only had to come in 5 days a week but I was the only Kennel person so if I let the on-call Vet take care of it on the weekend Monday morning was a nightmare of cleaning what they didn't plus getting dogs ready for going home with bath's and all. I chose to come in on Sunday just so Monday wasn't such a crazy thing. No one told me not too, LOL. Are you the only one??

Comment

Yeah, I work a 6 day week at the place I'm at now. A kennel I used to work at I worked a 5 day week. I could have worked 6 if I wanted but the owner let me pick any day off I wanted and if I didn't want a day off, she was more than happy to fill that day up.
      Becky

Comment

I work at a very busy kennel and I average about 6 days a week. The contract syas that I am to work Mon-Fri and 28 Saturdays. Not necesarily everyother Sat. Sometimes I'll get 3 weekends off in a row and then for the next couple weeks I'll work Sat. I even work straight through the weekend when I'm REALLY busy. Lucky for me It's pretty flexible.
        I't did take a while to "train" my boss to make sure I dont work for more than 8 days in a row. When I first stared, he would book me dogs everyday for 14 days in a row. He didn't even realize it until I said something.
        All in all I love my job.

Comment

When I worked for a Kennel/ groom shop we pretty much were required to be available six days a week when spring came around thru end of summer. Where I work now we can pretty much make our own schedule as long as one of us is always there seven days a week to cover. It has boarding as well. One nice thing about working for a boarding place is that you really never have much of a slow grooming time, there is always atleast bath/ brush dogs that need done before going home.

Comment

oh for some reason i thought you were going to be doing kennel work. LOL! i was about to say that it depends on how many dogs there are and how many people they have for the kennel itself. hrm...when i worked at a kennel (also vets office), they had at least 4 or 5 people for the morning and 4 at night. basically they had kennel room 1, kennel room 2, and the smaller dog room (forgot what it is called). and we also cleaned out the cages in the prep room (where they did the anestehia and breathing treatments etc. we also had to clean out isolation and the cat room. basically whomever got K-1 also got the cat room. and K-2 got isolation. and the smaller dog area got the main vet hosp. area to clean. that was cleaning, feeding and walking the dogs, and hosing down the outside runs, PLUS cleaning syringes, mopping,sweeping,taking out trash,cleaning up the yard etc.
            there was always stuff to do...oh yes we also had to clean up the grooming room too....sometimes there would be dogs to bathe but other than that no one really did bath dogs on the evening shift.
            but we basically just put our names on the schedule what days we wanted to work and she would schedule around it...sometimes completely changing the whole schedule around (i dont know WHY she would have us put down our avaliblity or whatever when she was just going to change it onus...ah welll)...i guess working 6 days a week isnt that bad...im guessing sometimes your going to have a couple of days off at least.
            good luck!
            Hound

Comment

We are a boarding/daycare and grooming facility. I work 5 days a week and I pick those days. Since I'm away from home for this job, and I show conformation, I work M-F one week and T-S the next. That gives me three day weekends every other week. I set my own hours and days, so that's what works for me.

Comment

Yeah I'm thinking about just doing the six days a week. Hoping there will be an occasional day off during the week but she said definitely wouldn't be a Monday. Im hoping the six days would just be mostly through the summer as someone else mentioned.

I'm gonna talk to the current groomer today or tomorrow and she if she really ends up working six days a week all year round or what.
                Last edited by DAPER DAWG; 05-09-07, 04:03 AM.

Comment

sixth day

I vote, don't give up your two days off with your husband, I wouldn't

Comment

Keep your sundays and mondays

I work in a kennel tuesday thru saturday, and I chose my own hours some weeks I get more days off if we arent that busy and some weeks I try to be felxible. For instance I worked Monday this week beecause that was the only day a client could come in in return I got tuesday off. Just make it clear to the owner that you cannot work sundays and Mondays if they dont understand then find another place

Comment

I work at a boarding kennel and I work with another groomer. She works Monday thru Thursday- her choice. I work Monday thru Saturday- my choice. So in otherwords, we are allowed to choose. I find were as I do 4-5 dogs on weekdays, I do more on Saturdays. I did 9 dogs this past Staurday. I would say, if you are allowed, play with your schedule to see what works for you.

Comment

I would be the only groomer at this Kennel which that part is really cool cause that's what I'm looking for but they have a part-time bather so I'm gonna see if I can talk to the owner a little more.

I drop my dog off for play-time tomorrow so I'm gonna talk with the current groomer to see how much she really works each of these days and inquire as to maybe job sharing days off with another groomer or something.

The location and fact that I would get to run my own things is really cool.

I'll find more out tomorrow I won't mind so much if there's a chance that it's not every Monday but just when they bath dogs run over and it's really busy.

Comment

Originally posted by DAPER DAWG View Post
                          I would be the only groomer at this Kennel which that part is really cool cause that's what I'm looking for but they have a part-time bather so I'm gonna see if I can talk to the owner a little more.

I drop my dog off for play-time tomorrow so I'm gonna talk with the current groomer to see how much she really works each of these days and inquire as to maybe job sharing days off with another groomer or something.

The location and fact that I would get to run my own things is really cool.

I'll find more out tomorrow I won't mind so much if there's a chance that it's not every Monday but just when they bath dogs run over and it's really busy.
                          Careful, to a business owner who sees $$ that can quickly turn into an every Monday type thing.
                          Erin
                          No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

I own a kennel. I groom most Sundays, plus the other 6 days. I'm addicted to the 4 legged furry babies I guess.

Comment

Thank God, no, I only have to work five. I think that if I were working six I would burn out before too long. I don't have a two day weekend though. I work Monday and Tuesday, then Thursday through Saturday, so I have Wednesday and Sunday off. I do wish that I could have off on Saturday, but I like my break right in the middle of the week.
                              Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Working...
                              X