Interviewing the bather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interviewing the bather

I will be interviewing a person who wants to be hired as my bather. She's been apprenticing for a few days and has done a pretty darn good job. She's come in at 8 am and worked for free all these days, mostly doing bathing but also some nails and a few shave downs.

I'd like to know, what questions do you suggest I ask her during the interview?

I will also be typing up a sheet of what is expected of the bather, ie: cleaning up, etc...but what about handling and general bathing? I don't want to over-kill it, but I do want to have certain safety standards.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Your clinic manager can give you access to PPE and safe handling of pets paperwork/ergonomics...available through AAHA, I believe. PPE is personal protective equipment, goggles, mask, gloves, apron, bath sleeves, etc. They could also probably get hold of a textbook for vet assistants that teaches proper animal restraint and handling. If you need help finding these resources, let me know, although I am sure you can find it all online...your clinic really should have these tools in their library though.

Comment

I would ask her why she wants to be a bather. If she says to play with puppies all day you may want to let her know how it's not all fun and games. Ask her how she feels about cleaning up after a dog soils his cage, smears it around with his head feet and wagging tail-) reality check. Ask her if she has any physical ailments that would prevent her from doing her job, lifting dogs, being on her feet all day. etc. And after all that if she still seems eager, then you will have a gut feeling as well and I would go on that. Plus a background check.

Comment

Very good questions from Poodlefluff!

I bathed a puppy that feet and body was covered with dried dog poop. (The other girl didn't want to do it because it was to yucky to her) It was so thick, I had to scrub it's paws for a while to really get it all out. It was gross but it had to be done and would do it again as I wouldn't like to be covered in poop. So ask ker how she feels about washing/cleanning poop )

Comment

Even tho I did the same thing prior to my apprenticeship, I was paid for the time I worked. I did a job & I got paid.

I would think if you did not pay her, it may come back to haunt you.

Erica

Comment

What type of compensation does a bather receive? Is it hourly, commission....

Comment

i've been training quite a few girls this week at work for bathing and kennel positions. one thing i ALWAYS consider is "would i leave my ella dog in the care of this person? would i feel comfortable with them bathing her?" this gives me a gut instinct of the person ... which is generally pretty accurate. currently, I would leave my dog in the care of ANY ONE of the employees at the shop and feel comfortable - thats what i think about when working with newbies.

Comment

I'm just curious as to why she's working for free.
                The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

Nothing wrong with working for free if she is the one who offered (the bather) JMO. I would do it for free if someone offered me the type of training I was looking for.

Comment

hey i worked for a cut in pay for grooming training. if i had known she was going to screw me over in the end i would have demanded alot more money that what i was making. i mean seriously....who can live on 50 to 80 dollars a WEEK without time during the day to at least find another job?
                    if the bather offered to work for free then hey thats great...if she works out though id at least offer her some sort of compensation for the work she did for free. (ie half of what she would have made or something that would appeal to her). good luck spikey!
                    Hound

Comment

Originally posted by PAWS View Post
                      Your clinic manager can give you access to PPE and safe handling of pets paperwork/ergonomics...available through AAHA, I believe. PPE is personal protective equipment, goggles, mask, gloves, apron, bath sleeves, etc. They could also probably get hold of a textbook for vet assistants that teaches proper animal restraint and handling. If you need help finding these resources, let me know, although I am sure you can find it all online...your clinic really should have these tools in their library though.
                      Ah, yes, we have DVD's and such, not sure about books. We are ALL required, however, to demonstrate that we know how to properly restrain a dog and a cat in at least two ways.

Thanks for the reminder, PAWS.

Tammy in Utah
                      PS: Do I know you from the old boards? Are you by chance Whalewidow?
                      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Working...
                      X