Great Pyr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Pyr

I have to shave a gp tomorrow. The lady is petrified that the dog will be bald. I planned on using a 7. The lady said that she does not even know how I will shave the dog because the undercoat is like a cotton ball lol. What would you guys reccomend? She is also worried about sun burn. That is why I figured a 7
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Jeez Lisa , I am sure glad I am not you tomorrow...Just kidding.However I don't have any experience in gp's, never had to do one, I have done spitz and akita x that were in bad shape, lots of undercoat, I washed and then dried them, got out the undercoat and then I was able to run a 4F or a 5F over them. I am sure there are easier ways, maybe a wet shave..i hope someone who knows what they are talking about gets back to you. LOL!! Also let your client know they do sell sun protectant for dogs if she is concerned, Happy Tails is one company, we carry it at the shop.
    All the best Lisa!

Comment

I would try to get longer than a 7F if possible. Maybe a 5skip would go thru at least on the back and outside of legs. I have had some luck getting the wahl metal snap on combs (like a #4) thru some pretty thick stuff. I struggled to get a 7 thru a really packed in aussie once. After 45 minutes of fighting to get it thru I had the dog half shaved. I thru him in the tub and bathed him and did the other side wet in about 10 minutes. Just experiment and figure out what works best.

Comment

A 7 on a dog that big will definitely look bald (especially to an owner's eyes).

If you can, try with a longer blade to see if it'll go through (maybe wet like the above post?). It'd be adorable in a 4 or 3 3/4. But if it's a matted mess, you gotto do what you gotto do!

Good luck!

Comment

Well, The lady said when I got there she wanted the dog to have a nice coold summer cut. I figure I always do labs with a 8.5 so I used a 7. Good god. This dog has very thin undercoat cauze you could see his jammies. I thought he looked awesome. The lady looked at the dog, burst out laughing and said I am glad it is hair and it grows back because I really don't like it. I was like, oh. This is what she asked for when I got there. Oh well, you can't please them all.

Comment

GP

I do LOTS of great pyrenese in my store and I have never HAD to shave one. Bathe him and do a really good blowout. If he doesn't fit on the table start blowing him in tub and move to the floor, they are such nice spirited dogs. Don't worry so much about getting him dry, but getting the mats/undercoat away from the body. Typically I only have to shave out major mats on the behind and behind the ears. Often I have to use a 10 to get these, but you can hide them. If the owner still wants him shaved I would try a 4.

Comment

I did not have to shave him, they wanted him shaved.

Comment

i honestly dont think people understand that your not supposed to shave GP's. they dont understand that that coat is there airconditioning as well as their heating. is this the first time she's had it done? i remember last place i worked we had 3 great pyrs that came in every 4 or 5 wks like clockwork...oh man if we ever mentioned shaving those dogs to that owner she would have FREAKED! but her older dog had no undercoat (she was older) but the pups (probably about 2 or 3 yrs old) boy where they gorgeous!!! nice thick harsh guard hairs...nice soft undercoat. the big time consumer was bathing them...drying them only took about a half hr with 2 people on each side. alone it was probably about 45 mins or so? maybe an hr tops? i dont remember...but they sure were gorgeous dogs!
                this little short slim lady would come walking in with 3 female great pyrs...and im sure she stopped traffic walking those dogs down her street! so polite and well mannered on those leashs...those dogs absolutely adored her!
                beautiful, gentle giants is what those 3 where.
                Hound

Comment

we had one in yesterday. did a 4f most of the way,,had to brush his legs out though and blend, he turned out very nice. The only thing was we uncovered a horrible tumor or something,waiting to hear what that was, it also had a few maggots in it!!!!!!!!!!!!! YIKES!!! I don't groom dogs in that shape, but my other groomer did! it might have been a good thing actually, they kept it cleaned out! YUCK!!!! it was the size of a baseball and had ruptured in the middle and thats where they were, keeping it cleaned out! YUCK!!! anyway, the owner took it to the vets today to see what it was, no word yet?? he was a sweetheart too! 8 years old...filthy matted ..poor guy

Comment

She said they did a semi shave last year and it looked horrible. I am not sure what a semi shave is. I think I will refer all GP's from now on to the new mobile in town lol.

Comment

I think I would have called in SICK!!!!!!!
                      "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                      Diane

Comment

the owner called and said it was a tumor. set for surgery on Thursday. Glad she took him to the vet!

Im with you D.!! I won't groom them , the other groomer though likes the big beasties! lol

Comment

poor poor you

What a nightmare!! I think I would have called in sick too I prefer doing the larger dogs but not that large makes my back hurt just thinking about it. I have always (at least when my head is on straight which is not very often) done a good brush out before the bath than a pre-clip with a skip tooth 5 a 7 usually does make them look naked but sometimes you just have no other option. What is wrong with those type of owners that get these dogs. I hope that some of them come on here and see this post research the breed all owners need to research before they buy and then decide can I do this not awwww look at the cute puupy idiots I tell ya

Comment

Working...
                          X