Clipper Vac hose to shop vac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clipper Vac hose to shop vac?

Has anyone tried to hook a Romani Clipper Vac hose to a shop vac? After hearing all the stuff about Laube, I'm not sure I want to spend $300 on the Ivac and another $140 on the hose attachment to a shop vac. I already have the attachment for a Romani on my Andis so I figured I'd try to get one of her hoses and see if I can hook it up to my future shop vac.

The Ivac comes with the hose and various attachment to hook up to a shop van. It is a terrific clipper and much easier to use than clippers in which we have added a special fitting for the hose to the clipper vac.

Comment

The IVAC comes WITH the hose and shop vac connection. They do also sell replacement hoses and connections which is why they show it separately.

Comment

Hey, listen up. I have a friend groomer who I assisted build his own clipper vac system. I understand that the downfall of building your own is that a shop vac motor will probably burn up sooner than one designed for a clipper vac system, but my friend is broke and decided at least for now, this was the best option.

He bought a shop vac first of all. The research I read was that you should get a vac with the lowest HP you can find. You don't want too much suction or your cuts will be uneven and you will be sucking dog skin. He opted not to buy the clipper vac hose from Romani, but instead got some clear tubing about the same diameter from a home improvement venue...he couldn't find vacuum hose of the same size so settled for the clear tubing. The important thing you get with the hose from Romani is the swivel connector at the end that articulates with the clipper attachment The swivel action is very important to keep the hose from all twisting up PLUS it allows you to detach your clippers from the system quickly and easily. However, my friend did not purchase the hose from Romani and was able to find the parts to gerryrig a similar system from Lowes....I think it was one of those garden hose attachments that allow you to snap a hose on and off a spiget. The cost of the hose from 'Roman is probably worth it, however, if you aren't into scrounging around home improvement stores.

Another thing to consider is how to reduce the noise of the shop vac. It might scare dogs. Some people put them into coolers or put styrofoam around them if they have to bee in the same room as you are grooming in. But...it might not bother many dogs. His system is currently not sound dampered and he hasn't had any issues.

The one my friend made is working great and he had minimal expense. I think he put it together in a couple of hours. Can't beat that. It is not impossible to build your own. Not as good as the real thing perhaps, but a lot less expensive and you can save for a real one while this one works just fine. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Fur Elite View Post
          Hey, listen up. I have a friend groomer who I assisted build his own clipper vac system. I understand that the downfall of building your own is that a shop vac motor will probably burn up sooner than one designed for a clipper vac system, but my friend is broke and decided at least for now, this was the best option.

He bought a shop vac first of all. The research I read was that you should get a vac with the lowest HP you can find. You don't want too much suction or your cuts will be uneven and you will be sucking dog skin. Good luck.
          I've got a 4 gal. shop vac coming with the trailer that will be in the back section behind the tub wall, but I wanted to get a bigger one. There's a 12 gal. at Home Depot that's "5 peak HP". Is that too much? What should it be?

Comment

I dion't know of "should" be....but try to find a relatively low powered one. This is a case where bigger or stronger doesn't mean better. But, if you get one and it sucks like no tomorrow, you can always lower the suckage by using the flap on the attachment and, if that isn't enough, figuring another way to break the flow...like putting another adjustable hole somewhere in the line that you can cover and uncover as different levels are needed. My friend got just a run of the mill shop vac of the lowest HP he could find and he says it works fine just using the flap on the attachment.

Still, always be careful to tie back long ears to keep them from getting sucked in. Not that you might hurt the ear, but there is a chance of cutting off some of the ear hair that you didn't mean to!

Comment

Oh, and I do believe you will want the larger capacity shop vac. The small size will fill much too quickly if you are using it as clippervac.

Comment

I hook mine up to my 5 hp shopvac all the time. I take my hose from my clippervac and stick it inside the end of the shopvac. I attach a large hose clamp to it and it works fine. I think the total cost of the hose and clipper attachements for a Romani clippervac runs like $100 and the shopvac is only about $30. It is a little bit more powerful and sucks more hair than the clipper vac but you can make a longer hose and it will be less suction. I use my clippervac more because I have a larger model and I don't have to empty the hair as much.

Comment

Thanks all! For the time being, for cost sake, I'll get the Romani hose and swivel thingie and finagle a way to hook it up to the shop vac. My mom recently worked for a central vac installation place so I can talk to the guys there.

Comment

Working...
                  X