white dog smell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white dog smell?

has anyone else noticed that white dogs seem to get a really bad wet dog smell when bathing? I've noticed that it seems to be the worst with white dogs only, is there a reason for this?

Haven't noticed the white dogs, but it seems to us the black ones-- especially black cockers and even some poodles have a smell you just can't tame.

Comment

Nope, never noticed it on white dogs. Definitely on black dogs and Cockers. Especially Labs.
      Becky

Comment

After the lst time the black dog smell was brought up, I started paying more attention to it. It appears to me, it's a hypo black dog smell. It's always the black poodles, doodles, ck/poos, Kerrys, Porties. Any hypo black dog I get that weird smell. I just call it the hypo dog smell. I've never noticed it for white dogs. I just get a usual wet dog smell from them.

Comment

To me Bichon's smell like a nursing home a lot, that's the only way I can describe the smell it must be something to do with their skin cause it dissipates a little after the bath. It is a very distinct smell but I haven't noticed it in any other white dogs.

Comment

White dog smell

I know what you mean especially the nordic breeds. They smell like a perm. Like ammonia. And yes the black dogs smell like black dogs. Musty. Blacks usually have more hair per follicle than other colors. Thick coats can't breathe as well. Thus the odor.

Comment

In my area, it's the Goldens that have a funny smell. Kind of a cross between fish, skunks, and rotten meat. Most of them are farm dogs and go swimming in their ponds regularly. I've also noticed that almost all of my Westies have the same smell, which is a lot more bearable than that of the Goldens. It's hard to describe- kind of a sweet "dusty" odor. I haven't noticed any black dogs having a common odor, but some of the large white dogs smell a little like the Goldens.

Comment

LOL, I don't smell 'em till they're clean!! Then again, my sniffer doesn't work like it did before grooming anyway, lol.

Tammy in Utah
                Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I've definitely noticed it with the black dogs, but not the white.
                  Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I think they all smell! lol at least until they get a bath!! I haven't noticed one way or the other, but to be honest, I think my nose stopped smelling different things back in uh uh....hmmm....gee over a decade! wha wha

Comment

Working...
                    X